Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bedford, NS
    Posts
    1,686
    vCash
    1500
    Pretty sure Reimer is on a 1 way deal. Not too many starters would be on 2 way deals?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,065
    vCash
    1500
    No more allaire. Do the young guys flourish without him? No way we're getting luongo for sure now.

    Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,761
    vCash
    1500
    I'm fine with him leaving. I get that the Leafs are a messed up organization, but I dot agree with him basically slamming them after he left. What did he accomplish with them? Nothing.

    Moving on....can't get any worse

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,065
    vCash
    1500
    Seems like its a case of having too much money at your disposal. It seems like a good idea to have the goalies each with their own individual coaches, but it clearly wasn't what Francois had in mind. I'm surprised by this move because of the long history he has with Burke, but what can you do. I wonder if they would have kept gustavson around if they knew Francois was gonna be taking off.

    Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    B.C. Kelowna
    Posts
    3,722
    vCash
    1500
    There were rumours back in the spring that he was leaving...so the answer is no gus was never staying lol

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    48,447
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    No more allaire. Do the young guys flourish without him? No way we're getting luongo for sure now.
    If any goalie or goalie coach signs on with a Burke team they better be extremely wary. His track record is abysmal. This is what I said last spring and then Burkie outdoes himself and fires one of the most respected goalie coaches of all-time.

    Yes, I know Burke tries and he doesn't actually play the position, but he has the anti-Midas touch when it comes to anything related to goaltending. Add Allaire, revered by everyone until Burke decided he was "out of date", to the list. Subtract Luongo from the list because the supposed drawing card has been fired. That's really going to impress goalies everywhere, including Luongo.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    I actually think Allaire sort of deserved to be fired. The Leafs record with goalies during his tenure has been abysmal. A fresh start is not a bad thing.

    I don't get how you can call Burke's track record abysmal (it certainly is bad for the e the fact that Allaire' hasnt been good with the Leafs.

    Sometimes great coaches lose it. I'm not saying this is the case with Allaire but it was a time for a change

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    28,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    If any goalie or goalie coach signs on with a Burke team they better be extremely wary. His track record is abysmal. This is what I said last spring and then Burkie outdoes himself and fires one of the most respected goalie coaches of all-time.

    Yes, I know Burke tries and he doesn't actually play the position, but he has the anti-Midas touch when it comes to anything related to goaltending. Add Allaire, revered by everyone until Burke decided he was "out of date", to the list. Subtract Luongo from the list because the supposed drawing card has been fired. That's really going to impress goalies everywhere, including Luongo.
    I was excited when Allaire came here, he has the track record but he was also known for being stubborn. In other words, you learn the butterfly or else...did you happen to watch Gustavsson? clearly not a butterfly goalie. His success in Europe was because he was a wild, reactionary goalie a la Thomas. It was time for a change. I heard a former goalie coach on the fan 590 the other day being interviewed and he knows Allaire and was implying that Allaire has a bit of an attitude and wouldn't be surprised if people within the industry aren't a fan of his my way or the highway approach. Bryz had problems with him, the Ducks let him walk...it was a mistake to bring him here clearly. Goalie coaches should work with the strengths of the goalie, not force a style upon them like with Jonas. As far as I know the most respected goalie coach around is the guy in Nashville, the guys track record is pretty damn good.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    vCash
    1500

    Burke & The Goaltending Situation

    Allaire may be one of the greatest goalie coaches, but it doesn't mean his style works right now. The game has changed drastically over the years and TBH, as a coach, you have to be adaptable and change with the times. Butterfly goalies will vanish over time just how stand up goaltending has disappeared. Longevity has everything to do with your ability adapt and change with the times; wether your a coach or a player. Allaires' failure has nothing to do with Burke and everything to do with himself. The fact that blame is being thrown at Burke for Allaire not performing is pathetic, quit grasping at straws.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    165
    vCash
    1500

    allair oops

    Quote Originally Posted by TravisB View Post
    Allaire may be one of the greatest goalie coaches, but it doesn't mean his style works right now. The game has changed drastically over the years and TBH, as a coach, you have to be adaptable and change with the times. Butterfly goalies will vanish over time just how stand up goaltending has disappeared. Longevity has everything to do with your ability adapt and change with the times; wether your a coach or a player. Allaires' failure has nothing to do with Burke and everything to do with himself. The fact that blame is being thrown at Burke for Allaire not performing is pathetic, quit grasping at straws.
    Allaire deserved to be fired when he refused to allow his goalies to attend team meetings regarding penalty killing. Your most important penalty
    killers arent in the loop. Sorry to say but its obvious he wasnt a team player.
    The style of coaching should be whatever works ,everyone is different
    and you adjust,he didnt.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,499
    vCash
    1500
    I always had a hunch their was a rift between Allaire and the coaching staff dating back to when Ron Wilson asked Allaire to get the goalies to play a more aggressive style. But reading articles and blogs the last few days you get a sence that Allaire alienated himself from the rest of the coaching staff. Damien Cox wrote an article yesterday or the day before stating that when Randy Carlyle came to Toronto he wanted Allaire to get the goalies playing more aggressive and for him to apologize to the members of the staff for his wrong doings but again Allaire wanted nothing to do with that. He's an older guy stuck in his ways from the 80's and 90's and clearly the state of goaltending in the modern day has passed him by. When you start to become a cancer on a team with already enough problems then it's time to go.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    48,447
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    I actually think Allaire sort of deserved to be fired. The Leafs record with goalies during his tenure has been abysmal. A fresh start is not a bad thing.

    I don't get how you can call Burke's track record abysmal (it certainly is bad for the e the fact that Allaire' hasnt been good with the Leafs.

    Sometimes great coaches lose it. I'm not saying this is the case with Allaire but it was a time for a change
    His track record for developing goalies is awful. Ask Kevin Weekes, his "goalie of the future" circa 1998.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    48,447
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    I was excited when Allaire came here, he has the track record but he was also known for being stubborn. In other words, you learn the butterfly or else...did you happen to watch Gustavsson? clearly not a butterfly goalie. His success in Europe was because he was a wild, reactionary goalie a la Thomas. It was time for a change. I heard a former goalie coach on the fan 590 the other day being interviewed and he knows Allaire and was implying that Allaire has a bit of an attitude and wouldn't be surprised if people within the industry aren't a fan of his my way or the highway approach. Bryz had problems with him, the Ducks let him walk...it was a mistake to bring him here clearly. Goalie coaches should work with the strengths of the goalie, not force a style upon them like with Jonas. As far as I know the most respected goalie coach around is the guy in Nashville, the guys track record is pretty damn good.
    I hear you. I don't disagree with the firing. I disagree with Allaire being brought to Toronto in the first place, and add it to the list of messes Burkie has created in the crease.

    Didn't Burke do his homework? Why didn't he anticipate that Allaire's style was not going to work with The Monster, and vice versa? For example. If Burkie was a marriage counsellor divorce rates would skyrocket. He sure doesn't seem to have a good sense of who works best with whom.
    Last edited by ink; 09-20-2012 at 03:59 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    His track record for developing goalies is awful. Ask Kevin Weekes, his "goalie of the future" circa 1998.
    I agree I just don't think Allaire has done a good job really either.

    Even Giguere (his protege) struggled under him

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    28,438
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I hear you. I don't disagree with the firing. I disagree with Allaire being brought to Toronto in the first place, and add it to the list of messes Burkie has created in the crease.

    Didn't Burke do his homework? Why didn't he anticipate that Allaire's style was not going to work with The Monster, and vice versa? For example. If Burkie was a marriage counsellor divorce rates would skyrocket. He sure doesn't seem to have a good sense of who works best with whom.
    I think the idea was to bring in a "system". Something philosophical I suppose. As far as Jonas goes, he wouldn't have even come here if Allaire wasn't here, he made it clear when he signed here that Allaire was definitely one of the main reasons he came to Toronto. I really didn't anticipate Allaire to be this stubborn, I knew he had issues with Bryz in Anaheim but I figured it was more of a personality clash more than anything. You could argue Allaire is the reason Reimer made it this far. James has said it himself many times that Francois deserves most of the credit. He simply wasn't the same goaltender after Gionta hit him.

    So I guess you could say Allaire makes sense for certain goalies but certainly not all. That same interview I heard on the radio had the former goalie coach comparing Reimer, in his junior days and even profeesional career, to Carey price. Reimer is a very capable butterfly goalie, he takes the net away from you but his obvious weakness is his glove. It's hard to blame Burke for his goaltenders here thus far, Reimer looked like the real deal pre-concussion/neck injury. Scrivens had great numbers in the AHL. I still think this team needs a serious 1B goaltender. Vokoun would have been a perfect fit and the guy wanted to come here on a nice and short 2 year contract.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •