Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Will Calvin break 2,000 yards?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 30.43%
  • No

6 26.09%
  • No but he will break Rice's record

10 43.48%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    ‏@ttwentyman
    The last 16 times Johnson has taken the field (including playoff game), he has 122 receptions for 2,199 yards (137.5 yds/g) with 11 TDs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    ‏@ttwentyman
    Can't we go with that & say he has the record?

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 tackles sacks ints
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    How he doesn't average at LEAST one TD per game is beyond me. Especially with a team who's in the red zone SO much and coming out with just a field goal.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    It's tough to score a TD when you have 4 guys covering you and everyone else on offense standing around watching you.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Calvin Johnson is chasing Jerry Rice, and a whole generation of cornerbacks can tell you how hard that is. Rice was not just the best receiver ever. He was the best receiver ever by a wide margin. We can argue for many hours, over many beers, about the best quarterback, running back and defensive player in NFL history. The argument about the best receiver lasts 30 seconds. But Johnson is getting closer to Rice.

Johnson needs 421 yards in the Detroit Lions' final four games to pass Rice's single-season record of 1,848. But why stop there? Would Rice have stopped there? Hell, no. Rice would have gone home and run up and down hills with a refrigerator full of steaks on his back, then tried to break his own record the next season.

And this is the challenge of chasing Jerry Rice. It's like chasing a master criminal: You have to think like him.

"I was telling Calvin," Lions receivers coach Shawn Jefferson says, "This record he's chasing, if you want it, you've gotta eat it, you gotta live it, you gotta breathe it -- everything about it. If you do that, you can get it.

"Jerry Rice, when he broke it, he lived it."

On Thursday I said Johnson, "Do you have a goal to be the best receiver ever?"

"Yeah. No doubt," he said.

These are strong words for a man who has been called humble so often it might as well be his nickname. But Johnson made this decision a few years ago. His personal trainer asked him over breakfast: "Do you want to be great, or do you want to have potential?"

Says Johnson: "I figured potential is just a word for 'Haven't done (bleep) yet,' basically."

He said he wanted to be great. He told Jefferson the same thing: Push me to be great. And what is great? It has different meanings for each of us. For a child with a crippling genetic condition, great can mean walking onto the school bus. For a walk-on at a major-conference school, great means getting on the field.

For Johnson, great means being the best ever.

"God gave me the ability, so why not?" he says. "Go out there and play for Him. Maximize the talent he gave you."

Several years into his career with the San Francisco 49ers, after he was pretty widely acknowledged as the best player at his position, Rice said there were still doubters. He said he heard them. How many doubters were there, really? It doesn't matter. What matters is he heard them.

Johnson surely has his doubters, too. You can hear them now: The record does not mean as much now because this is a wild passing era. The doubters are flat wrong.

Sure, this is an unprecedented passing era, but it is not an unprecedented receiving era.

Quarterbacks are spreading the ball around more than they ever have. They are throwing more to tight ends and slot receivers.

The year that Rice set his record, 1995, there were 23 1,000-yard receivers; last year there were 19. In 1995, there were 10 1,250-yard receivers; last year there were nine. In 1995, there were four 1,500-yard receivers; last year there were three. In 1995, there were two 1,750-yard receivers -- Isaac Bruce of the Rams finished just 67 yards behind Rice.

Bruce's total was the second-highest in history. Johnson needs 354 yards to pass him. But then, what does this matter? Johnson is not chasing Isaac Bruce.

To be the best ever, you have to study film. You must know the defense. Seems simple, right? But Johnson has a problem: He studies film all week, and then on Sunday, it's like he studied for a Spanish exam and the questions are in Chinese.

"You get to the game and they are doing something totally different," he says. "It is literally just to stop you, to take you out of the game."

Do you want to hear the latest scheme? It's ridiculous, but here goes: Johnson lines up near the goal line, and the defense assigns two men to stand on the line of scrimmage and harass him, the way they harass the gunner on the punt team. It's called a vise.

Why would a defensive coordinator give up a tackler in the middle of the field when a short run would mean a touchdown? Well, have you watched Johnson?

Calvin Johnson met LeBron James once. It was in the tunnel at the Palace of Auburn Hills after a Pistons-Cavaliers playoff game in 2007. James was already a world-famous superstar. Johnson had not yet played an NFL game. Johnson mostly remembers how big LeBron is ("He is tall as hell!") and they haven't met since. But Calvin Johnson is getting closer to LeBron James, too.

He sees a player so big, fast and skilled that he should dominate every game, and he feels a kinship.

"People on TV were watching LeBron, like, 'Does he know if he drives to the hole every time, he is going to get fouled or he is going to make the bucket?'" Johnson says. "It was kind of like that with me (as a rookie). My confidence wasn't on that level where I could go out there every Sunday and say 'I'm gonna kill today. Whoever is across from me, I'm gonna beat 'em.'"

He did what Rice did, two decades earlier. He mastered every route, every cut and juke and subtle fake. He learned to catch every ball and to play through injuries. This year he has had an injured foot, an injured ankle and two injured knees. He goes through his fingers like he is surveying tornado damage:

"This one won't straighten out. This one hurts to catch. This one's messed up. This one's coming back -- this one was real swollen, this is getting better though ..."

He can deal with these injuries because he has mastered his craft. I mentioned something another Detroit icon, Miguel Cabrera, told me in October: When he is hurting, he plays better, because his concentration is sharper. Johnson says, "I agree with that. Totally. It hurts so you gotta be that much more attuned."

How attuned is he? Well, doesn't this sound like LeBron James these days?

"You can play free, and you're smart enough to know what the situations are," Johnson says. "You get to that point where you fully have confidence in what you're doing. You can take your game to another level."

Johnson needs 106 yards per game in his final four games to pass Rice. He has averaged 119 for the season. He has averaged 168 in his last five games. He looks at that 168-yard average and thinks: It should be higher.

"Man, I go back to the last three weeks, there's plays that, if we made those plays, I'd be looking for the 2,000-yard mark instead of Jerry Rice's record," Johnson says. "It's been plays we just missed, or just an overthrow, or just off my fingertips. Especially the last few weeks, you're like, damn!"

He looks at his 34-yard game against the Bears earlier this year, his 46-yard game against the Seahawks, his 54-yard game against the Vikings, and he says he understands that defenses are tough and sometimes the yards won't be there ... but he does not really mean this. He does not understand.

He thinks even on his worst day, he should have 100 yards receiving. That is greatness, viewed through the filter of his talent.

"It's easy for me to do that," he says. "That's the minimum. That's how I feel about it. You can easily come back and average 100 a game. You can make that up on the backside. But you want to be consistent: boom, boom, boom, every week, you know what you're gonna get."

There was a little acknowledgment of his own dominance in that comment, buried in the self-flagellation: "You can make that up on the backside." It makes sense, right? If you have a bad game or two you can make it up on the backside with a few 200-yard games.

Wait: WHAT?!?

Amazingly, this is exactly what Johnson has done. Look at his last 16 games, going back to the end of last season, including his playoff game in New Orleans.

In those 16 games, Johnson has caught 122 passes for 2,199 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Yeah, yeah. We know: Only 11 touchdowns. What can he say? He is trying to get better.
    Link
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    How he doesn't average at LEAST one TD per game is beyond me. Especially with a team who's in the red zone SO much and coming out with just a field goal.
    we have the 5th best redzone td% in the nfl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    I think this is the results of espn, fantasy football, and all those other channels that show a score going up. People have this expectation that Brady scores every time his team is in the redzone...only in the highlights is this true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Great read, I have no doubt he can get 2k
    Cj2k has a nice ring to it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Great read, I have no doubt he can get 2k
    Cj2k has a nice ring to it!
    RealCJ2k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    looooooooooool

vCash
    5th best???
    That's pretty sad for the NFL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    It's tough to score a TD when you have 4 guys covering you and everyone else on offense standing around watching you.
    If he's capable of getting open to possibly rack up 1,600 yards...it should translate into plenty more TDs.

I honestly think they don't force it to him enough. Let the guy make the play you don't see readily available. They never give him a solid chance at those jump balls in the end zone, which I think translates into his lower TD count, and a whole lot of settling for field goals.

Scrap Detroit!!

First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    THe jumpballs haven't been there this year and when they have they've been way off the mark. Thinking back to the Bears game, Calvin gets 1v1 with Tillman but Stafford leaves it chest level (bad throw) and Tillman can easily bat it down. Put it up 4 more feet and it's a TD. No one in the league (or very, very few) can out jump Calvin.

Look back at the Cowboys game last year. Remember his TD where he outjumped 3 guys? Need more of that this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    THe jumpballs haven't been there this year and when they have they've been way off the mark. Thinking back to the Bears game, Calvin gets 1v1 with Tillman but Stafford leaves it chest level (bad throw) and Tillman can easily bat it down. Put it up 4 more feet and it's a TD. No one in the league (or very, very few) can out jump Calvin.

Look back at the Cowboys game last year. Remember his TD where he outjumped 3 guys? Need more of that this year.
    could the jump balls not be there because CJ has two injured knees and an injured ankle...maybe he can't jump right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    could the jump balls not be there because CJ has two injured knees and an injured ankle...maybe he can't jump right now.
    Maybe, but we didn't see them in the start of the season either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast