Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Will Calvin break 2,000 yards?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 30.43%
  • No

6 26.09%
  • No but he will break Rice's record

10 43.48%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Calvin and 2,000 yards

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson still has a long way to go before he's considered one of the greatest players to ever play in the NFL, but he's well on his way to threatening some of records at his position.

Last season, Johnson racked up 1,681 receiving yards, the seventh best total of all-time, and just 167 yards short of the mark set by Jerry Rice in 1995.

In a recent interview with ESPN the Magazine, Johnson spoke on his lofty personal goals for the upcoming season.

"My goal is to have 100 yards for my team every game. If I can just keep that average up, I feel like I'm helping my team. Who knows, sky's the limit."

In 2011, Johnson reached the 100-yard plateau in eight of the team's 16 regular season games. In fact, Johnson fell short of the 100-yard mark five consecutive weeks in the second half of the season before exploding for 560 yards and four touchdowns in the Lions' final three contests.

He added another 211-yard, two-touchdown performance against the New Orleans Saints in the opening round of the playoffs.

If Johnson can develop into an even more consistent threat, is a 2,000-yard campaign within reach?

"Don't put anything past what Calvin can do," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. "He's pretty special."

Johnson also believes the record-breaking feat is a possibility.

"When I look back on the season, there's a lot of things we did miss last year. No, we're not going to be perfect, but hey, nothing is impossible."
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...calvin_jo.html

I don't think he'll get 2,000 yards but I think he can break Rice's record.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    Not a chance at 2000. I love Megatron but we have so many other weapons it's gonna be hard for him to do it. Let alone actually trying to accomplish the goal.

Catches: 6 Yards: 72 TDs: 1

vCash
    He'll get 15 TDs and 1200 yards this year. I expect more from everyone else.

vCash
    It would be nice, But i dont think he gets 2k, Rice's 95 mark im sure he could do.

19 Rec - 329 Yards -2 TD

vCash
    With teams covering him even more people like Titus Young and Brandon Pettigrew will have star seasons. I actually think the biggest stat will be the lions will have three receivers who eclipse 1000 yards receiving (CJ, Young, Pettigrew). It would be the second time ever that a 1000 yard trifecta has happened from two receivers and a TE. Only other team to do it was the 1980 chargers (John Jefferson, Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner)

vCash
    not happening. silly.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Is it possible? I would say yes just becasue someone as big and talanted as CJ to average 125 yards a game IMO is. Now is it likely, probably not.

vCash
    What it will take is early success and big games from Titus and Nate for defenses to be forced to pay attention elsewhere on the field to open him up more. Now we've all seen even tripe teams can't stop him - but Stafford isn't going to be forcing it into that kind of coverage enough to rack up 2,000 yards.

IMO, his success depends on the success of his colleagues.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    I still think he gets less than 1400. I know he's the best in the game, but when he's drawing so much coverage, you have to start using him as a decoy some and hitting up Burleson, Titus, Pettigrew, Scheffler and what not. No need to force some throws into double coverage. But with that said, still expect him to get around 1400 and 12+ TDs. Would it surprise me if he got 2k? Not one bit, but I don't think he will.

Born & Raised in Michigan but now in Columbus Ohio
    vCash
    i hope he never gets close to this 2000 yards i want the ball spreaded around if burleson does not step up he needs to go we should have multiple 1000 yd recievers. with are wr's take ur pick
    [URL=http://gifsoup.com]GIFSoup

Kingwood A Man Before His Time Dvd in Stores

vCash
    im thinking he gets around 3k this year

Not Even Fair #BTFD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    I still think he gets less than 1400. I know he's the best in the game, but when he's drawing so much coverage, you have to start using him as a decoy some and hitting up Burleson, Titus, Pettigrew, Scheffler and what not. No need to force some throws into double coverage. But with that said, still expect him to get around 1400 and 12+ TDs. Would it surprise me if he got 2k? Not one bit, but I don't think he will.
    This

vCash
    If Calvin did get 2k. Who gets the name CJ2k. Megatron or Chris Johnson?

vCash
    Who cares? With a nickname like MEGATRON, you need no others.

Scrap Detroit!!

First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    After 3 games, Calvin is on pace for 1,968 yards.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast