Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sanchez's initial reaction to Tebow; Hunter takes shot!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...io_holmes.html

For months we have watched Jets' starting quarterback Mark Sanchez handle questions about his team's trade for Tim Tebow with professionalism and poise, embracing his new teammate and his potential contributions to the team on and off the field.

But according to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, Sanchez's initial reaction to the Tebow trade was something a little different, claiming the trade "kind of rattled (Sanchez) a little." Holmes described the initial conversation between himself and Sanchez. "'Wow, how did this happen?' Those were words that came out of his mouth."

Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger had the full story on Holmes' interview with the media after practice wrapped on Wednesday, where he explained Sanchez's reaction and how he, in turn, helped put the quarterback's mind at ease. "I basically said to him, 'This is (your) team. You're the starting quarterback. Tebow is here to help us win games.'"

It's interesting that Holmes should be the one to advise Sanchez, as the two were hard at work repairing a relationship that had somewhat declined after a dramatic end to last season, but Holmes says the two have worked everything out and he is fully behind his quarterback. "I'm going to ride with him until the end."

Holmes explained there is "no question" Sanchez has moved past the issue, though

Sanchez has not publicly reacted to Holmes' comments, as he spoke to the media an hour before Holmes.

In an interview with the St. Louis Post Dispatch, former Jets' right tackle Wayne Hunter, who was recently traded to St. Louis for right tackle Jason Smith, had some not -too-kind words for the New York media and Jets fans. Hunter told the Dispatch,"They're like sharks. They let you know (how they feel) right off the bat." He added, "And even if you're doing good, they may just not like you for the heck of it. It's brutal over there. Those fans, they know what they want, and they pretty much demand it. So if you don't give it to them, they'll let you know."

Hunter added that the change of scenery has served him well saying,"I'm so happy for a fresh new start," Hunter said. "I think it's what I needed. I think it's what we both needed, from what I heard."

• Sanchez, in his weekly interview with the media, said that in spite of the focus and attention on the up-coming debut of the Tebow-led Wildcat, "I gotta play the cards I'm dealt here and keep working hard." Sanchez reiterated one word that has been his theme this off-season: leader. "That's important going into your fourth year, to be a leader for this team and play my best. You can't have any bad days. Trying to eliminate mistakes, I really learned from last year." Conor Orr of The Star Ledger writes about Sanchez's steps towards self-improvement and leadership amidst all the distractions.

• With less than five days to go before the season opener, Ryan is still unsure about the status of defensive tackle Sione Po'uha, who missed the majority of the preseason and training camp with a tight back. Tight end Dustin Keller, who is recovering from a hamstring injury, expects to play. The Star-Ledger has the full injury report from Wednesday's practice, with more updates on defensive end Mike DeVito and running back Joe McKnight.

• Will Leitch of New York Magazine weighed in on the Jets' highly publicized off-season and, of course, the quarterback "controversy." Leitch perfectly sums up the fascination with all things Gang Green saying, "Maybe it’ll be something amazing. Maybe it’ll completely blow up in their faces. No matter what, you’ll be watching. If nothing else, the Jets have made certain of that."

• Tebow or Sanchez? NFL Network analyst and former NFL player Heath Evans makes his pick in a recent column on NFL.com. Evans explains that Tim Tebow, not Mark Sanchez, must start for the Jets saying, "the Jets might be able to win 10 games if they turn things over to Tebow right now, but they have no chance at winning that many with Mark Sanchez at the helm."

Just thought I'd post!
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Good for hunter, that's not really a shot though.. He's rite

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

vCash
    I agree with what Hunter says scopepts, but had he played better, he wouldn't have been traded and would probably still be starting. He brought a lot of his problems on himself.

vCash
    I just don't get why Holmes had to stir the pot just days before the game,just when you thought the Tebow vs Sanchez nonsense was done being stired up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJetsRevis2424 View Post
    I just don't get why Holmes had to stir the pot just days before the game,just when you thought the Tebow vs Sanchez nonsense was done being stired up
    You and me both!

vCash
    This team is so stupid... ugh

vCash
    If you guys actually watched the confrence you would know that Dick Cimini, was stirring up the pot. Santonio played it very cool and said nothing really controversial. Cimini was the one who twisted the words there and was in the background saying "Were those his exact words" and santonio replied "No, I could see he was shocked". In reality im glad Sanchez was shocked put a fire under his ***...

#Hernandezing

haha delusional

vCash
    Watch the confrence first before going off on santonio guys... it on newyorkjets.com

#Hernandezing

haha delusional

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJetsRevis2424 View Post
    He was trying to say that getting Tebow made Sanchez focus more. But everyone jumped on the reaction of Sanchez and not that he became more committed to being the best QB he can be.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    So here's what I take away from these statements...

But according to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, Sanchez's initial reaction to the Tebow trade was something a little different, claiming the trade "kind of rattled (Sanchez) a little."
    So two guys who allegedly hate each other had a conversation almost immediately after learning about the Jets trading for Tebow. Sanchez feels comfortable enough to confide in a teammate who he allegedly doesn't speak to.

Holmes described the initial conversation between himself and Sanchez. "'Wow, how did this happen?' Those were words that came out of his mouth."
    Translation..."How could the team have lost faith in me to the point of bringing in a possible replacement."

Sanchez felt embarassed by this. Not by Tebow, but by the fact that the team might not see him as the long term solution.

Holmes was explaining that Sanchez actually wants to be better, not that he was whining or pouting as some people in the media have suggested he might do. Sanchez worked his *** off in the off season, and has taken control of the team and his job. Good for him, and good for Holmes for backing up his QB.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post

So two guys who allegedly hate each other had a conversation almost immediately after learning about the Jets trading for Tebow. Sanchez feels comfortable enough to confide in a teammate who he allegedly doesn't speak to.

Translation..."How could the team have lost faith in me to the point of bringing in a possible replacement."

Sanchez felt embarassed by this. Not by Tebow, but by the fact that the team might not see him as the long term solution.

Holmes was explaining that Sanchez actually wants to be better, not that he was whining or pouting as some people in the media have suggested he might do. Sanchez worked his *** off in the off season, and has taken control of the team and his job. Good for him, and good for Holmes for backing up his QB.

AWESOME POST..... Agree 100%

#Hernandezing

haha delusional

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scopepts View Post
    AWESOME POST..... Agree 100%
    Gracias, dude.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    This is when I agree withe Mangini way of doing things. ..players should not be given this much freedon when it comes to talking to the press!

Europe get READY, THE CHAMPS ARE HERE!

New York Jets..New York Knicks..New York Yankees..Barcelona!!

vCash
    You really cant get on the Jets for finally trying to bring in a real number 2 at the qb position now should it have been Tebow no but this move was way over due for many reasons

Europe get READY, THE CHAMPS ARE HERE!

New York Jets..New York Knicks..New York Yankees..Barcelona!!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post

Very well said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast