Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Will there be a deal in 2012-13?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - This will all be resolved by September 15th

1 6.25%
  • No - Season will be a full lockout

3 18.75%
  • Maybe - Season will end up being shortened, but they will play

12 75.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Arrow September 15th - NHL in a Lockout

What do you guys/gals think?

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was scheduled to have dinner with NHL Players' Association second-in-command Steve Fehr Wednesday night to discuss some joint projects and procedural issues.

It's not a negotiating session, but certainly both men have to expect that the stalemated talks to come up in conversation.

"I expect to talk to Steve about issues," Daly said in a phone interview with USA TODAY Sports. "I expect to have to have beer and dinner and we will see how that goes."

Even with the NHL planning to lock out players on Sept. 15, there are currently no new formal negotiating sessions scheduled.

"I don't think panic is right terminology," Daly said. "I hope no one is panicked. Having said that I do believe, based on the response we got on Friday, the concern we had about Sept. 15 not being a real deadline for the players and players association is probably more likely to be accurate. They certainly aren't acting as if it's a deadline."

Negotiations ceased last Friday after the owners viewed the NHLPA's response to their second proposal as a tweak of the union's original proposal, rather than a true counter-proposal. Commissioner Gary Bettman accused the NHLPA of stonewalling.

Earlier in the week, the NHL had proposed a six-year plan that would reduce the players' share of revenue from 57 percent to 50% in a phase-in plan. The 50% is actually 46% by how revenue is now defined. Part of the owners' proposal is to slightly alter, in the owners' favor, how revenue is counted.

In the NHLPA original proposal, players agreed to take less of anticipated future growth for three years in the name of helping financially stressed teams. Under the NHLPA plan, the players would return to receiving 57% in the fourth year.

On Friday, the NHLPA offered three new ideas they would be willing to discuss about how their share of revenue could be determined in the fourth year. But the NHL bargaining team didn't view the NHLPA offer as significant movement.

"We certainly haven't dismissed the structure of their proposal," Daly said. "In fact, the proposal we gave them last week in some respect embraced the structure of their proposal. It obviously wasn't good enough to elicit a counter proposal. That is where we are."

On Wednesday, the NHL officially canceled the NHL/NHLPA media tour, which is designed to maximize exposure for the league's top players. Last month, the Detroit Red Wings canceled their annual rookie tournament at Traverse City, Mich. That affected eight teams.

On Wednesday, the NHLPA sent a memo to the players, detailing their rights during a lockout.

The owners picked Sept. 15 as the date of the lockout because that's when the current collective bargaining agreement expires. As the NHLPA often points out, there is no rule that says players have to be locked out out if there is no contract. But with no pressure on either side this summer, there has been no true progress.

Although there are many issues in play, it seems as if what the negotiations are primarily about the NHL owners trying to reduce players' share of the revenue from 57% to near 50%. The other major issue will be length of contract. Owners are dug in on a longer contract because they want to go through this any time soon. Players prefer a shorter contract because, as NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr points out, the economics of the game could change dramatically.

"We continue to meet internally and we will try to be as creative as we can be in finding new ways to attack this," Daly said. "At this point, it's fair to say we are stalled at least temporarily."

Fans, meanwhile, are organizing protests. The fans clearly want to see the sides in a room negotiating.

"To get into a room and stare at each other without any kind of agenda, I'm not sure that advances the ball much," Daly said. "As long as the lines of communication are open and they are not being artificially shut down, then that's the most you can ask for in a situation like this. So if someone does have a good idea, or an agenda, or a reason to meet I'm sure we will be meeting."

By Kevin Allen, USA TODAY
    http://www.todaysthv.com/usatoday/sp...tref=sportsmod
    Mike P. ~~

Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

vCash
    we're ****ed...IMO

vCash
    Hoping for a "short" lock out. Before Christmas and I'll be "happy".

vCash
    I'm with Boom. I'm hoping for an NBA type lockout this year. I wish something would get done by the 15th, but that seems next to impossible right now.

Go Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, and Illini!

vCash
    NEW YORK -- Although relations between the NHL and NHLPA seem to be growing increasingly contentious in the week leading up to the lockout, the two sides plan to meet Wednesday morning, multiple sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

Wednesday's meeting is expected to be informal, similar to last Friday, when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly sat down with NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and his brother, Steve.

It is not clear whether the union, which held a conference call with players Wednesday, will submit an offer.

The two sides have not had formal discussions since talks broke down on Aug. 31. At that time, the NHL was seeking a comprehensive counter-proposal from the union to its second offer. Bettman indicated the NHL was not pleased with the response they received.

Wednesday's discussions will be held in advance of the union's player meetings, which are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday in Manhattan. The NHL will be meeting as well, with the Board of Governors meeting is slated to convene Thursday in New York.

Given the NHL's clear stance on a lockout -- Bettman intends to lock the players out if a new deal isn't reached when the current CBA expires on Sept. 15 -- there is little time remaining for the two sides to come to an agreement.

The union and league still have a significant bridge to gap on the key economic concepts of a new deal. While the players want to avoid any immediate salary reduction -- either via rollbacks or escrow -- the league wants the players to take a reduced share of revenue.

The two sides, particularly Daly and Steve Fehr, have communicated consistently even in the absence of formal negotiations. But frustrations bubbled over Tuesday when the union turned to Canadian provincial law to challenge the lockout.

The NHLPA, through a Montreal-based lawyer, issued a cease-and-desist letter to the Montreal Canadiens and the NHL, and plan to appeal to the Quebec Labour Relations Board this week on behalf of their case as well. Quebec does not recognize the NHLPA as a certified union, which means a lockout by an employer cannot be lawfully imposed, they contend.

The union also challenged the league's request to the Alberta Labour Relations Board for a board-supervised lockout vote. The ALBLRB was slated to hold a hearing in front of a three-person panel Tuesday morning, but it was canceled when the NHL withdrew its application late Tuesday.
    The plot thickens?
    Mike P. ~~

vCash
    Just heard that the players were offered $250-300 million more than the previous offer.

vCash
    my guess is the season starts with the winter classic
    White Sox, Bears, Blackhawks, Spartans
    Go Green! Go White!

If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?

vCash
    Lockout is inevitable. This always happens with the NHL and I absolutely hate it!

The NHL gets going after a lockout sets them back and just when the game is getting exciting again and fans are multiplying by the day, the CBA expires and thus another lockout setting the league back... again. It's like having the family dog. Dies every 6-7 years then you have the mourning period until you get a new one and just when you get that ***** trained and all is going well, boom it ****ing dies and you start the process over again.

I love watching hockey and it's the only other sport, outside of football and MMA, that I can stand watching continuously on tv. NBA and MLB are like watching paint dry. Don't get me started with golf, boxing, or Nascar.

vCash
    Had to change the title of this thread...ouch

vCash
    unreal. i still don't think there will be a season at all at this point.

vCash
    Cancelling preseason games, with no meetings in sight. Why are they doing this to us!??!
    Mike P. ~~

vCash
    Only Brent Sopel can help us now..... :haha:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klima View Post
    Only Brent Sopel can help us now..... :haha:
    He's at the airport welcoming everyone to the KHL now lol
    Mike P. ~~

vCash
    so who wants to catch some more IceHogs games?

vCash
    The sad thing is...at the end of the day, the only ones who will really "suffer" is us, the fans.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast