Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Would it be hard for a president to decriminalize drugs?

And do you think the president should do it? I'm trying to get a feel for what people think about this issue.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Should it be done? No, unless you consider marijuana to be a drug. Then yes...

vCash
    I believe decrimilization would require the repeal of many laws that were passed in the early 20th century. So it would not be hard to do so but it would be VERY hard to convince lawmakers to do so. It is not somethin,that, to my understanding, a president can do by themselves. He can do a form of triage like he did with immigration and state that he is dedicating the limited resources (even government resources are limited) to those which are viewed as the most dangerous drugs and (for lack of a better word) ignore those that are not deemed so.

As far as my personal opinion goes, I absolutely favor legalization (not just decriminalization). I think it is absurd and almost criminal to put people in prison for using drugs. Especially considering the number of people (nearly 20%) that are in prison for these offenses and not much more.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    It'd be very hard for a president to do because he can't just do an executive order. If he did he'd be impeached rather quickly. As for whether they should decriminalize drugs, they should decriminalize marijuana, criminalize cigarettes, keep hard drugs (cocaine, meth, etc.) illegal and call it a day.

vCash
    How can you criminalize cigarettes but decriminalize marijuana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    How can you criminalize cigarettes but decriminalize marijuana.
    If anyone were suggesting this, that would be a good question.

The President can emphasize what aspects of federal law should and should not be enforced. He could come close to federally decriminalizing drugs by putting drug enforcement at the bottom of the priority list. He could also impact the "schedule" on which drugs are put, perhaps moving some drugs to a lower tier. That said, there are still tons and tons of state laws, and their enforcement is up to the states.

To fully decriminalize or legalize drugs would take Congressional action.
    “A riot,” said Martin Luther King, “is the language of the unheard.”

vCash
    I think the War on Drug's roots are too deep now to be changed. You have the government, private prison industry, and banks with all of their hands in the cookie jar. They're all profiting off of it, that's why the problem gets worse every year and nothing changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    If anyone were suggesting this, that would be a good question.

The President can emphasize what aspects of federal law should and should not be enforced. He could come close to federally decriminalizing drugs by putting drug enforcement at the bottom of the priority list. He could also impact the "schedule" on which drugs are put, perhaps moving some drugs to a lower tier. That said, there are still tons and tons of state laws, and their enforcement is up to the states.

To fully decriminalize or legalize drugs would take Congressional action.
    I think the schedules are mostly controlled by the DEA (ie through executive action), but I think there are some such as cocaine and marijuana are in their schedules by congressional mandate.

vCash
    The war on drugs is a huge failure. America’s war on drugs has rarely looked at the demand side of the equation. Instead, it has largely focused on choking off supplies and imprisoning distributors and users. Despite every high-profile arrest and seizure of drugs, the drug trade persists, however.

No matter the risks, suppliers will find a way to bring drugs to users. The key to reducing the trade is to dry up demand. If we legalize drugs, I'm nervous that more people will get hooked on them.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    There's a bill coming up here in Burlington on whether to make it legal in the city.

It's about time they just let this go.

vCash
    Won't happen

There is too much money being made and paid to the prisons industry in this country. You decriminalize drugs you would cut down on crime. You cut down on crime and officers don't have anything to do. Officers who don't have anything to do are no longer required. Officers no longer getting checks means more out of work people and higher unemployment.

There is no money in it for the government in decriminalization so it will not happen.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by americaspasttim View Post
    Should it be done? No, unless you consider marijuana to be a drug. Then yes...
    Why wouldn't you consider MJ a drug?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    I'm ashamed to admit it... I don't actually know. I should know this. Next time I have to email Nora Volkow I will ask her.

BTW if folks are interested in the decriminalization route instead of the legalization route... http://www.cato.org/publications/whi...-drug-policies
    Last edited by flips333; 09-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    It would be so easy for the President to sign an executive order reclassifying Marijuana from a Schedule 1 Drug to a Schedule 5 Drug.

He could spin it as saving tax payer money while reallocating resources in the DEA to fight more destructive and harmful substances. The Congress would have a terrible time fighting something like this because all he'd be doing is reclassifying the drug, that's it, he wouldn't be changing anything drastically at all.

Nothing would really be changed legally except that the DEA would no longer have any reason to care about Marijuana at all. The Feds would basically leave the issue alone. States like California, Colorado, Michigan, and wherever else it's friendly could medically dispense Marijuana without worrying about the feds coming in.

If this was done the amount of Marijuana that would spread across the states would essentially render all remaining federal and state laws against its use useless because the traffic would become uncontrollable. The laws would be repealed or just naturally phase out of existence.

And for the record, Obama has signed 138 executive orders in his 1st term, this shouldn't be that big of a deal to him compared to all the other things he's passed.

Bill Clinton started a war in Kosovo under an executive order, George W. Bush banned stem cell research with one, the idea Marijuana couldn't be reclassified under an executive order is laughable considering all the other outrageous things that have been done under them.

There's no reason this couldn't be done. But, just like last time, people are going to believe Obama will do it if he's elected. He won't and the reason is simple...

There's way too much money and jobs in fighting marijuana, Police Unions don't want to lose the extra funds fighting it, Prison Guard Unions don't want to lose massive amounts of jobs, Big-Pharma doesn't want to lose chemo-side-effect-drug profits, people in the legal system- defense attorneys, prosecutors, legal clerks, judges, etc.... on and on the jobs and profits build against it.

There's so much invested in fighting it that they CANT legalize it.

Then there's an even bigger can of worms to face... if they changed anything with marijuana laws it would force them to change laws with hemp (which can't even get you high and is literally a plant the government made illegal). We have a plant that can cheaply make paper, cloth, plastics, and fuel, can't get you high, grows like a weed in almost any climate, and could be a real boom to farmers and the economy as a whole but still... it's illegal?

Anyways, the jobs... the jobs in the drug war are fairly endless and then AFTER THAT you have to think about all the jobs industrial hemp production destroys... hemp makes cheaper cloth- effects the cotton industry, hemp makes cheaper paper- effects the timber industry, hemp makes plastics- effects the oil industry among many others, hemp makes bio-fuels- effects the soy industry, then you have to consider all the other jobs that go along with each industry (cotton-timber-oil-soy-fuel is big) and on and on and on the jobs begin to pile up.

In the long run the economy would balance itself back out and we'd end up much more prosperous than we are now. But it's pretty hard for ANY politician to stand up in this economy to all those people whose jobs would be lost in the now-and their employers whose jobs might be lost forever-and say, "sorry this is the best thing to do for the long term health of the country because we imprison more people than China and carry the entire tax burden for the prohibition against Marijuana."

Obama isn't going to do it and neither is Romney... it would take someone with some serious guts to destroy entire industries like that just for the sake of sanity in the long term.

But to the OP, make no mistake, it would not be hard for either of them to do so... and if the people overwhelmingly demanded it they would do it, but the people don't so the status quo is what remains...
    Last edited by whitesoxfan83; 09-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

vCash
    I don't think that the president can move it to a lower schedule by mere EO. Though he could do a great deal in moving a lot of the drugs down (or even off) the schedule. The original legislation created the schedules and started the work of putting them on the schedules. I wasn't able to find (I only looked for five minutes) out which drugs were added to the schedule by legislation and which were added by the restraints that Congress created for the DEA and FDA to follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast