Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Purcell Signs 3 Year Extemsion

Link
    TAMPA --

The Tampa Bay Lightning locked up some skill while acquiring some needed muscle on a busy Tuesday.

General manager Steve Yzerman first announced a three-year contract extension for right winger Teddy Purcell worth $13.5 million that will kick in at the start of the 2013-14 season.

That move was followed up with the acquisition of right wing B.J. Crombeen along with a 2014 fifth-round pick fromSt. Louisin exchange for fourth round picks in 2013 and 2014. Crombeen, who celebrated the trade on his 27th birthday, has 27 goals, 56 points and 580 career penalty minutes in 288 games withDallasandSt. Louis.

In locking up Purcell now, it avoids having to deal with the 26-year-old becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer. And coming off a career year Purcell still has one more year left on a deal that will pay him $2.375 million this coming season in which he set career highs with 24 goals, 41 assists and 65 points while appearing in 81 games, the Lightning expect Purcell to continue on the upward trend he has shown over the past two seasons.

vCash
    Absolutely worth that money. Good job by Steve Yzerman here. I've been very disappointed with him over the last year after a fantastic start. Purcell looked throughout the 2+ years in Tampa, and seems to really fit in in Tampa Bay.

Looking at some free agent contracts though, it has me questioning on what Teddy Purcell could get in the open market.

vCash
    I love Purcell, glad they got this done...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by americaspasttim View Post
    I love Purcell, glad they got this done...
    Yep, yep....has made great strides, especially playing with guys like Stamkos and St. Louis...and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this guy was a 30 goal scorer in the making.

I like the signing as well.

vCash
    Teddy is a good guy,

Glad to have him back for another season. (Yeah I know 3 year extension ... this is the NHL though and the only roster certainty is that things will change)