Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Burke on lockout and the Leafs

With talks between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players’ Association stuck in recess — and with no formal talks on the horizon — an afternoon on the course might be the last time Burke and the Leafs are seen together in close proximity for a while. And while Burke deflected discussion on collective bargaining, he did provide glimpses into how the uncertainty has impacted the off-season.

And, yes, he also talked a little about hockey.

Here are some of the highlights:

How confident are you that a deal can be reached on a new CBA?

“The league’s doing all the talking about the collective bargaining agreement. Obviously, I’ve been in on a bunch of the meetings, but not the last week or so. And I’ll let the league comment on it. I wish I could say more. I mean, you guys know me: ‘no comment’ is not something that comes out of these lips easily. But we’re not allowed to speak about it, and we’re not going to speak about it.”

Is it difficult for a general manager to operate, faced with this kind of labour uncertainty?

“It’s part of the business, you know? The NBA went through it last year. The NFL went through it last year. It’s part of the business. It’s not something that we can be overly worried about. We’d all like to start on time and, hopefully, we will.”

Do you find a lot of players are talking about it here today?

“I’m sure the players are talking about it more than we’re supposed to. So that’s fine. You can grab them. Probably get more out of them than you’d get out of me.”

What can you say to fans?

“About?”

The lockout.

“It’s a part of pro sports. I mean, the players are represented by a players’ association. They have to come to an agreement with the league in question. It’s been done successfully in some cases; it’s been unsuccessful in others. There’s been work stoppages in all of sports. Hopefully, something will get done here. As far as what I’d say to the fans is: I know it’s hard for the fans to understand, sometimes, how the parties can’t agree on these things, but again, it’s happened in every sport. They’ve had work stoppages. And if one is going to happen here — and I wouldn’t predict that it is — it’s unfortunate, but it’s part of the process.”

Has that uncertainty stalled hockey decisions?

“Not a stall. I sense there’s not much activity. From talking to teams, I sense everyone’s sitting and waiting to see what the landscape’s going to be. But we’re business as usual right now.”

Do you anticipate making any more roster changes?

“Based on the lack of activity that I see out there, no. I don’t think we’ll do anything else right now. We’ll probably go with this group.”

Do you think that will change once a new CBA is signed?

“Well, it’s going to depend on what that landscape looks like. It might change for some teams. It might not. From our standpoint, it’s business as usual right now. We’ve made a couple of changes we think are important. We think adding James van Riemsdyk and Jay McClement are important additions to our team. And we’ll go from there.”

What was your reaction to ESPN ranking the Leafs as the worst franchise in sport?

“I don’t think ESPN knows a single thing about hockey. I think their hockey coverage stinks. I don’t think they know anything about Canada. I don’t think they know anything about hockey.”

Do you head into camp expecting James Reimer to be the starting goaltender?

“We believe in James Reimer. We have said, from the get-go, that if we get an opportunity to upgrade at the goaltending position, we’re going to do it. That’s still the case. But it’s not a frantic search for a goaltender. We believe in James Reimer. This is a guy that, last year, started off great and then got run from the side and struggled with injury trouble after that, and then some confidence issues. We believe there’s no reason that he can’t be ‘the guy.’ And we think Ben Scrivens put himself squarely in the hunt with his year. So if this is the group we start with — and I think it’s going to be — we’re comfortable with that.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/09/10/brian-burke-on-a-potential-nhl-lockout-espns-rankings-and-whats-next-for-leafs/
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    “I don’t think ESPN knows a single thing about hockey. I think their hockey coverage stinks. I don’t think they know anything about Canada. I don’t think they know anything about hockey.”

No one can argue that ESPN's coverage of hockey sucks, but does Burke know that Pierre Lebrun is Canadian and one TSN's hockey insiders....and also works for ESPN? Not to mention Barry Melrose is Canadian too. For a guy who went to Harvard, he sure does speak without thinking. This was almost as dumb as the "not worth making the playoffs as an 8 seed". Just ask the LA Kings about that one. I'm not saying the Leafs are the worst sporting franchise in North America because that is far from the truth. Just think it's funny when Burke talks out of his ***

vCash
    Ummm ESPN doesn't know **** about hockey, there coverage is horrible. Burke is correct here. Having one or two decent analysts doesn't make your coverage somehow better. They ranked the Coyotes as number one...THE COYOTES. Talk about speaking out of your ***.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Ummm ESPN doesn't know **** about hockey, there coverage is horrible. Burke is correct here. Having one or two decent analysts doesn't make your coverage somehow better. They ranked the Coyotes as number one...THE COYOTES. Talk about speaking out of your ***.
    I'm not defending ESPN's coveage of hockey. I have Direct TV, I know. I love how he said ESPN doesn't know anything about Canada, yet they have Canadians doing their hockey coverage.
    Last edited by Lavy16; 09-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Burke talks on the spur of the moment all the time. We've all done it. He just happens to do it from behind a mic in interviews that millions of people read about. I give him a pass on this one. ESPN sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I'm not defending ESPN's coveage of hockey. I have Direct TV, I know. I love how he said ESPN doesn't know anything about Canada, yet they have Canadians doing their hockey coverage.
    He made a correct generalization, now you're just getting picky, not shocking. Having two Canadians doesn't mean ****.

vCash
    Well, Im going to bring up something from the article, but something Burke said about ESPN lol!

How scary is it that he said this is probably the team moving forward! YIKES!!

We are not sniffing the playoffs again if this is the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapsjaysleafs View Post
    Well, Im going to bring up something from the article, but something Burke said about ESPN lol!

How scary is it that he said this is probably the team moving forward! YIKES!!

We are not sniffing the playoffs again if this is the case.
    Lol ya we should be more concerned about the team that will be on the ice when the season starts.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    He made a correct generalization, now you're just getting picky, not shocking. Having two Canadians doesn't mean ****.
    The generalization ESPN doesn't know anything about Canada, yet they hire two Canadians to do their hockey analysis is my point. I've already stated that ESPN's coverage sucks. Obviously they know enough about Canada to hire Canadians to help them with the "Canadian market" when it comes to ratings.

vCash
    The ESPN survey was based on recent history, wins/losses, management, coaching, ticket prices and the fan experience. How can't the Leafs be last? Who should they be ahead of? It has nothing to do with ticket sales or team profits. Joke of a survey if you ask me.

vCash
    Ticket prices can't be factored in, its dumb to do it.

Ticket prices are set by supply and demand.

I'd also like to see any qualifcations for fan expierence.

The Leafs recent history while horrific is not the worst in all four major sports. Look at how low the Red Sox are on this ranking to show why this thing is flawed.

vCash
    ^I agree it's flawed big tiiiime.

The Red Sox are like the Leafs dude. HUGE market team. Monster market team but they're losing. Ticket prices are high obviously because of the demand for them in regards to the Red Sox. Same as the Leafs. The Sox sell out every night and have one of the highest demands for merchandise and apparell of any team in any league on the globe. The Sox had a horrible year marred with some controversy. But the Leafs have been horrible since 2006. So it's a no brainer to see the Red Sox over the Leafs even tho they are low. Last championship won by the Leafs in '67. 16 teams make it to the playoffs. Last Red Sox championship '07 and then '04 where only 8 teams (4 per league) make the playoffs. We all know what went down before '04 tho. I also think the Red Sox have a better chance to turn their team around than the Leafs due to the CBA baseball has that only inforces a soft cap.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 09-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.

vCash
    Ok but the Res Sox won World Series a few years ago... this is their first year under 500. since I don't even know when. They aren't like the Leafs at all. They won and have had success the past 5 years in baseball.

But yeah market wise it's the same.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    The sad thing is for me as a die hard Red Sox fan is that that team was all I had. I go for the Leafs, the Raptors, pretty much every team in Toronto. My one winning team is now a bigger mess than the Leafs lol. I'm in sports fan hell.

vCash
    “From my standpoint, Brian is poised to make at least one prime acquisition… possibly two. I think – like many of us – he is waiting to see the lay of the land once a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is in place. He’s been very involved in trying to improve his goaltending and I can tell you that he’s determined to add a big player up front. I’ll be quite surprised, as will many of my colleagues, if he goes into the next hockey season without a significant upgrade.”
    From Howard berger, he cites an "eastern conference GM" as the source. He also says that there are some rumours that a year will count on all player deals. If that's true it could be big news for us, and actually a pretty exciting FA.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast