Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What to do with Weeden in 2013?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, he is the QB of the future

0 0%
  • YES, let him start 2013 but keep him on a short leash

9 81.82%
  • NO, find a new QB through the draft this year

0 0%
  • NO, find a new QB through free agency/trade

2 18.18%
  • NO, start a new QB internally (McCoy or Lewis)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Future of Brandon Weeden

So what the new FO does with him is not up to us, but if it WERE up to you, how do you feel about Brandon Weeden and the future of the Browns QB situation?

When we first drafted him I did not like him at all. Through the first half of the season he impressed me with his arm and made me rethink the draft choice, but through the second half he failed to impress me by not improving his decision making at all. If he were 23 I would be fine with giving him time to improve his game IQ and decision making but we don't really have time for that.

What do you guys think about Weeden moving forward?

vCash
    I would like to trade him to the chiefs along with this pick this year, for the number one to take Geno but its not gonna happen. Id rather watch Thad starting next year then COlt or Weeden least he attempted to throw the ball down field at times, and had nice zip, spiral, and timing on his throws. He moved well in the pocket they had that game if not for the fumbles. He looked better then both our guys un his first NFL start had kind of a Russell Wilson feel to him, undersized QB who moves well in the pockey I was impressed.

vCash
    I don't believe it was weedens fault for the lack of throws down field. I believe it starts with the horrible play calling. Weeden struggled I get that, but gotta be consistant with the play calls.

I like Geno he's got alot of talent, but he sure in the heck is not a sure thing. not by a long shot. Which is why i believe its stupid to draft a QB high or trade for one. we got other needs and I feel Weeden will be a good QB with better coaching and the chains takin off.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    It is too early to tell what we should do with him. There are a couple of different schools of thought concerning Weeden. 1. He struggled because he was a rookie. 2. He struggled because the playcalling sucked. 3. He struggled because he sucks. 4. He struggled because of the overall offensive scheme.

Regardless of which school of thought you believe Weeden was a product of...there are coaches/coordinators that he will succeed with and coaches/coordinators that he will fail miserable with. Now that we have gotten to the point where our O-Line is more strength than weakness...we have more options as to what type of offense we can run. Now that our receiving corps is, as a group, probably in the top half of the league rather than the bottom 4 or 5 in the league...again, we have options as to what offensive system we can run. Considering that we have an above average RB in Richardson...again, we have the luxury of picking the best from a list of schemes rather than finding a scheme that best fits our parts.

That being said...the HC/OC hires need to be slam dunks this time around in order for this team to take the next step that they are primed to take.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    It is too early to tell what we should do with him. There are a couple of different schools of thought concerning Weeden. 1. He struggled because he was a rookie. 2. He struggled because the playcalling sucked. 3. He struggled because he sucks. 4. He struggled because of the overall offensive scheme.
    I tihnk 1,2, and 4 are def correct.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    No vote from me. Too hard too tell before a new coach comes in. I have never heard of a team giving up on a damn 1st round pick no matter what the age after one season ever.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    This is the definition of jumping the gun. Why don't we wait the 7-10 days for the standard shipping of the Brownies new HC to be announced before we all start to contemplate on what BW3's future is.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carlessyen View Post
    Id rather watch Thad starting next year then COlt or Weeden least he attempted to throw the ball down field at times, and had nice zip, spiral, and timing on his throws. He moved well in the pocket they had that game if not for the fumbles. He looked better then both our guys un his first NFL start had kind of a Russell Wilson feel to him, undersized QB who moves well in the pockey I was impressed.
    I'm fine with this thread because it allowed for this magical post to be made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I'm fine with this thread because it allowed for this magical post to be made.
    I don't think he realizes once an NFL team gets film on a player that its easier to play that QB and be able to read what he is going to do. Thad had a nice game on Sunday but I expected that even against the #1 Defense in the league as he is a mobile QB that was able to sling the ball because he had nothing to lose out there. The guy has been a PS player for the past 4 years and I don't think an average game warrants him to be considered the starting QB next year of the Browns. I guess the Rams and Browns were holding him back though just because and never saw his true talent, smh.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    That's funny

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash

Do Not Continue To Make Mistakes

Fact Is He Should Never have Been drafted, Should Have Let Things Alone And drafted A Player of Need To Make This Team Better, Instead They Wasted A Pick On A QB, Big Mistake. Fact Is To Draft A Rookie First You Should Already Have Your Team Built Some What Before Getting A Rookie To Be Your QB, Look At The Successful Rookie's. They Went To Teams That Had A Team There, What We Have Here Is A Bunch of Scrubs Being Promoted As Stars But There Only Stars in Cleveland, Build Your Team First. Until Then Every QB You draft Will Fall On His Face. We Have 3 Good Wide Outs Future Looks Bright For All 3, So Get All Def fence And maybe One offensive Lineman, But Build The Def fence, And Maybe next year You can Then Get A QB, But To Continue To draft One Just Because You need One Is Stupid, Our defense Is Bad, DB Stink, And LB Looks Promising But Could Always Use A Real Good One If You can get One, I would Worry About The DB Position, I would Draft 2 Or 3 DB In This Coming draft, Along With 1 LB And 1 Lineman. That Is Where This team Needs Help. To Change QB's Right Now makes No sense Right Now. Do Not Draft One Or Trade For One or Even Sign One In Free agency, Just Build The defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtime1957 View Post
    Fact Is He Should Never have Been drafted, Should Have Let Things Alone And drafted A Player of Need To Make This Team Better, Instead They Wasted A Pick On A QB, Big Mistake. Fact Is To Draft A Rookie First You Should Already Have Your Team Built Some What Before Getting A Rookie To Be Your QB, Look At The Successful Rookie's. They Went To Teams That Had A Team There, What We Have Here Is A Bunch of Scrubs Being Promoted As Stars But There Only Stars in Cleveland, Build Your Team First. Until Then Every QB You draft Will Fall On His Face. We Have 3 Good Wide Outs Future Looks Bright For All 3, So Get All Def fence And maybe One offensive Lineman, But Build The Def fence, And Maybe next year You can Then Get A QB, But To Continue To draft One Just Because You need One Is Stupid, Our defense Is Bad, DB Stink, And LB Looks Promising But Could Always Use A Real Good One If You can get One, I would Worry About The DB Position, I would Draft 2 Or 3 DB In This Coming draft, Along With 1 LB And 1 Lineman. That Is Where This team Needs Help. To Change QB's Right Now makes No sense Right Now. Do Not Draft One Or Trade For One or Even Sign One In Free agency, Just Build The defense.
    Good opinion, dont understand the caps but good insight.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtime1957 View Post
    Holy Capital letters, Batman!!!

I couldn't finish reading the entire thing because my eyes crossed on me!!!

Regardless...if Chip Kelly becomes our next head coach, Brandon Weeden is not suited to succeed in his offense (unless he decides to come to the NFL and bring an entirely new offense with him). I would rather "waste" a pick, trade for a better suited QB, or find one via free agency than watch Brandon Weeden try to stick his square peg self into the nice, smooth round hole that is the QB position in Chip Kelly's offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Holy Capital letters, Batman!!!

I couldn't finish reading the entire thing because my eyes crossed on me!!!

Regardless...if Chip Kelly becomes our next head coach, Brandon Weeden is not suited to succeed in his offense (unless he decides to come to the NFL and bring an entirely new offense with him). I would rather "waste" a pick, trade for a better suited QB, or find one via free agency than watch Brandon Weeden try to stick his square peg self into the nice, smooth round hole that is the QB position in Chip Kelly's offense.
    I think it would depend on if Kelly runs his zone read spread offense or if he just brings what he is trying to capatalize on with his offense and that is the speed of the offense/game. Brandon ran a really well spread offense at OSU and I think he would fair better in a system like that where they are able to audible by number plays or straight call the number plays while in the hurry up instead of what he had to do this year and that was boggle down to the WCO system where it was orchestrated alot on crossing patterns and certain spots while eliminating most of the playbook, audibles, etc. Im not saying this to warrant Weeds staying if Kelly did come on because Kelly would probably want his own guy but I think Weeden would be a lot better in a Belicheck/Kelly ran NFL offense if that is what Kelly does instead of bringing his full blown zone read spread offense when there it would be no way Weeds stays.

I think the biggest thing that Kelly would want to bring to the NFL is what the Patriots starting doing this year and that is mathematically getting the most offensive snaps you can. It will all be about the speed of the game to me with him where just like at Oregon he will have his three speads to a game, 1) Huddle with play call coming in. 2) No Huddle with play calls getting in with around 20 seconds left on play check allowing time to scan D 3) Hyper Speed with going straight to the line and snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds left on play clock. Now how he does this offense with what type of system will be the intersting part.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    As for the zone-read ideas, this again is something that several NFL teams already employ. Obviously, the Redskins have utilized Robert Griffin III’s unique skills by crafting a zone-read offense around him. Throughout most of the season – even during the Redskins’ earlier 3-6 start – the offense has been run first, but has featured enough play action and misdirection to create downfield passing opportunities.

Fubar’s comments are beyond helpful, as most Browns’ fans who will become acquainted with Kelly will likely focus on the Browns not having an athletic, “running” quarterback – which Kelly has featured at the college level. And although RG3 and Russell Wilson to an extent have proven to be successful mobile quarterbacks, this is one of those areas in which Kelly’s Oregon offense will not directly translate to the NFL.

More importantly, Browns’ fans should not zero in on Colt McCoy being the guy to run such an offense – at least based on his mobility. (Because I GUARANTEE this will be the thinking if Kelly gets hired and will be REALLY ANNOYING.) Fubar is right in that both Weeden and McCoy could operate a Kelly-NFL offense, mainly because they both have decent mobility. However, in terms of making downfield plays, we would probably regress into 2011 and 2012 meaningless QB debates – which in a potential Kelly era, should never, never, never, never be allowed to exist.

Certainly, Weeden would be an intriguing option in a new offense and it was painfully obvious that Weeden struggled in trying to become a 1993 QB for Pat Shurmur. (And yes, a similar case can be made for McCoy in 2011.) However, Weeden thrived in a faster paced, zone read type of attack in college and practically deserves the chance to play in a similar offense in Cleveland. Of course, much will depend on how the new Browns’ front office values the players that were drafted prior to 2013.

Anyway, as I suggested months ago, the IDEA of Kelly means that the Browns are finally moving towards becoming a contemporary NFL team rather than one that continues to copy old systems – i.e., the 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots, Ravens, Patriots again, Packers, Eagles, etc. Even if the Browns don’t eventually land Kelly, at least we know that the front office is genuinely trying to drag this franchise into 2013. And as for the real fans of the team, watching Kelly’s offense – in whatever variation it becomes – should be a reward for having to suffer through 32 games of primitive bonehead Shurmurball.
    http://reboot.theobr.com/smart-guy-thursday/

Pretty interesting full read and also a great Blog site for the Browns with a lot of good insight.

HOYERMANIA!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast