Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Backing Up and Partitioning To External Hard Drive

I just bought a second external hard drive and i wanted to backup my mac's data on it. It's a 1.5 TB hard drive (External) and i was wondering whether i should partition it or not. I have about 600 Gb's on used data on the Mac to backup but like 150 GB's of that is video files which i would like to play from my hard drive onto various devices. So my question is that if i back it up would i still be able to play the movie or is that just backed up data that things like my ps3 or media players would not recognize? Or do i have to create a partition and recopy those files separately?

Thanks For The Help.

vCash
    What is your reason for partitioning the hard drive? Do you need the data to be separate for some reason? Other than something like a boot device, I don't see much benefit to partitioning the drive.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    What is your reason for partitioning the hard drive? Do you need the data to be separate for some reason? Other than something like a boot device, I don't see much benefit to partitioning the drive.
    well i'm asking whether i should or not? I've never backed up anything before so i'm wondering if i backup my mac will i still be able to like put stuff on the hard drive and like connect my ps3 to it and play stuff off the backed up data?

vCash
    if you want to store files to play on a ps3, you will need to partition it, it will probably be NTFS format and it needs to be FAT32 for the ps3 to recognize it, just google or youtube how to do it