Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I agree with this 100%.

That's why I wanted a veteran brought in when Holmes went down. Hill should not be put in a position to be a #2 or #3 receiver who is counted on to catch 3-5 balls a game. Every drop can undermine his confidence, especially in a city like NY where everything is so highly scrutinized by fans and media alike.
    The kid can fly and i know for a fact he can catch he is just young and needs to get his mental part of football together.

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

vCash
    Remember when everyone got mad at Cimini though? Classic.

vCash
    hell be a stud in a few seasons

vCash
    Stephen is 21 years old (drafted at age 20) and comes from a run first offense. He has all the physical ability in the world but needs some time to develop. I thought it was quite lofty of management to believe he would be ready to be a #2 this year after limited college experience.

This may help put it in perspective.

The Cardinals took Malcolm Floyd at 13 in round 1, who many of you wanted, and started him at the bottom of the depth chart and are slowly letting him develop. When he has been on the field, he has shown his capabilities, but he just isn't up to NFL speed yet. Wait until next year, Fitz and Floyd will be scary. So if one of the 2 best WR in the same draft as Hill has been sitting and barely playing, how can we have the expectations of Hill to be AJ Green immediately?

AJ Jenkins, drafted in round 1 ahead of Hill, who has plenty more experience than Hill from college has not seen the light of day for San Fran.

Justin Blackmon the best WR in the draft has not had that smooth of a NFL transition either. He only has 33 receptions, despite being targeted 72 times. Granted a lot of that may have to do with Blaine Gabbert, but you can't say Mark has played much differently. Even Jeff Fisher said the issue is not our WR, but rather getting them the ball.

Brandon Marshall was another raw talent coming out of college. He did nothing his first year, recording only 20 receptions for 307 yards. In year 2 he exploded with 1,000+ yards and 100 receptions.

So yes I do believe in Hill. We need to give him time. The #2 WR issue is the fault of management for not bringing in a Vet for a year or 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJetsfan69 View Post
    Stephen is 21 years old (drafted at age 20) and comes from a run first offense. He has all the physical ability in the world but needs some time to develop. I thought it was quite lofty of management to believe he would be ready to be a #2 this year after limited college experience.

This may help put it in perspective.

The Cardinals took Malcolm Floyd at 13 in round 1, who many of you wanted, and started him at the bottom of the depth chart and are slowly letting him develop. When he has been on the field, he has shown his capabilities, but he just isn't up to NFL speed yet. Wait until next year, Fitz and Floyd will be scary. So if one of the 2 best WR in the same draft as Hill has been sitting and barely playing, how can we have the expectations of Hill to be AJ Green immediately?

AJ Jenkins, drafted in round 1 ahead of Hill, who has plenty more experience than Hill from college has not seen the light of day for San Fran.

Justin Blackmon the best WR in the draft has not had that smooth of a NFL transition either. He only has 33 receptions, despite being targeted 72 times. Granted a lot of that may have to do with Blaine Gabbert, but you can't say Mark has played much differently. Even Jeff Fisher said the issue is not our WR, but rather getting them the ball.

Brandon Marshall was another raw talent coming out of college. He did nothing his first year, recording only 20 receptions for 307 yards. In year 2 he exploded with 1,000+ yards and 100 receptions.

So yes I do believe in Hill. We need to give him time. The #2 WR issue is the fault of management for not bringing in a Vet for a year or 2.
    Nice post, the rule of thumb with WRs are it takes them 2 to 3 years to flourish in the NFL. Very rare does someone make an immediate impact.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    So Sanchez gets 4-5 mediocre to bad years to prove his worth, and we right off Hill after 10 games?

Drops suck, but its not uncommon with rookies. Let's sure up the offense, and perhaps the QB and see what he can do.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    So Sanchez gets 4-5 mediocre to bad years to prove his worth, and we right off Hill after 10 games?

Drops suck, but its not uncommon with rookies. Let's sure up the offense, and perhaps the QB and see what he can do.
    Who's writing him off? I think most of us are in agreement that he's still developing. Most of us just wish the Jets had other options at the position so Hill can be brought along properly.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I agree with this 100%.

That's why I wanted a veteran brought in when Holmes went down. Hill should not be put in a position to be a #2 or #3 receiver who is counted on to catch 3-5 balls a game. Every drop can undermine his confidence, especially in a city like NY where everything is so highly scrutinized by fans and media alike.
    Holmes going down hurt Stephen Hill a lot because now he was thrust into a position that he probably wasn't 100% ready for. If Holmes is healthy now, you put Holmes, Kerley, and Schelins as your top 3 WR's and let Hill play sparingly when needed. Now, Hill has to be in much more than he probably is ready for.

But then the question becomes, shouldn't we be expecting a bit more from a 2nd round draft pick?
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    Holmes going down hurt Stephen Hill a lot because now he was thrust into a position that he probably wasn't 100% ready for. If Holmes is healthy now, you put Holmes, Kerley, and Schelins as your top 3 WR's and let Hill play sparingly when needed. Now, Hill has to be in much more than he probably is ready for.

But then the question becomes, shouldn't we be expecting a bit more from a 2nd round draft pick?
    This is a common mistake that fans and the media make. Everyone knew what we were getting in Hill, and anyone who thoght he was NFL ready was ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

The same thing was done with Sanchez. He was absolutely not ready to be a starting NFL QB when he was drafted. He had only played one season at USC, and really should have been on the bench in 2009 and maybe even in 2010. Fans and media weren't buying into that since he was drafted #5 and Kellen Clemens was our only other option.

This forced Rex to make a bad decision that has really kept Sanchez from being properly developed.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    This is a common mistake that fans and the media make. Everyone knew what we were getting in Hill, and anyone who thoght he was NFL ready was ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

The same thing was done with Sanchez. He was absolutely not ready to be a starting NFL QB when he was drafted. He had only played one season at USC, and really should have been on the bench in 2009 and maybe even in 2010. Fans and media weren't buying into that since he was drafted #5 and Kellen Clemens was our only other option.

This forced Rex to make a bad decision that has really kept Sanchez from being properly developed.
    Astute observations, and right on about Stephen Hill. There is usaully a large learning/growth curve for rookie WRs - even ones that have starred as big-time college WRs for years - still usually struggle to adjust to the NFL. Like I've said previously, Julio Jones and A.J. Green are the exceptions to the rule.

NOW - you throw in S. Hill, playing for Georgia Tech he never even approached a pro style, or even college style throwing team. That shouldn't have stopped us from drafting him in the 2nd, in fact, I thought that was a gift. The problem is when Hill is expected to come in and be a starting WR, let alone, after Holmes went down, he is the only WR on the team that comes close to having the physical skills to be a #1 WR - unfortunately - he's probably the least experienced "physically gifted" rookie WR that's come into the league in quite a while.

He can get open, and he'll learn all the routes, and how to consistently get separation, AND - he already knows how to catch the ball. He just doesn't have the experience to be able to do this on a consistent basis because he's out there trying to "think" how he's going to get it done - and he has to be at the level where he knows how to get it all done, through experience - time after time - and then not think when the ball comes his way. I have every confidence that he'll become one of our best WRs in decades (KOW - of course).

Mr Magoo - your thoughts on Sanchez are "blasphemy" to too many people that don't understand the special circumstances.

People - most Jet Fans think - hey - the kid was picked 5th in the draft, and look at all the rookie QBs that have come into the league and HELPED guide their teams to the playoffs (which Sanchez did too) - Rothlisberger, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and and and.....oops - I doubt that even the great Andrew luck will make it, although he might; RGIII won't, Cam Newton didn't, and still won't - but anyway, that's not the point - all these guys started at least 3 years in college (Flacco - 5 years in college he couldn't beat out Tyler Palco @ Pitt - he couldn't play officially in '05 because of the transfer to Deleware, and then 2 great seasons - 2006, and 2007 - drafted in 2008; Rothlisberger played for 4 years, starting 3 years as he started as a redshirt freshmen, and left after his Junior year; Matt Ryan @ BC - played 3 games as a Freshmen, came in week 3 as a Sophomore, and took over for good in week 5, started his Junior and Senior years; Andy Dalton - 5 years in college - redshirted Freshman, but traveled with the team - started all 4 years following that).

There is just no substitute for experience, and Sanchez has his Junior Year, and 3 games as a Sophomore as his base of experience. To make matters worse, Sanchez came to a defensively motivated Head Coach (REX) that didn't intend on building an offense around him - in fact - he was a set-up for not having success, as the emphasis was put on "don't lose the game." HOWEVER midway through his 4th year - things should be "clicking" by now, and hey, he was 15out of 20, and he was very goodmaybe on 3rd down. Tomorrow will tell the tale - maybe. If Sanchez comes out tomorrow and has a great game for a win - maybe that will be the "turning point" of his career - and maybe he becomes the great franchise QB that we have longed for........nah.

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansince'67 View Post
    Astute observations, and right on about Stephen Hill. There is usaully a large learning/growth curve for rookie WRs - even ones that have starred as big-time college WRs for years - still usually struggle to adjust to the NFL. Like I've said previously, Julio Jones and A.J. Green are the exceptions to the rule.

NOW - you throw in S. Hill, playing for Georgia Tech he never even approached a pro style, or even college style throwing team. That shouldn't have stopped us from drafting him in the 2nd, in fact, I thought that was a gift. The problem is when Hill is expected to come in and be a starting WR, let alone, after Holmes went down, he is the only WR on the team that comes close to having the physical skills to be a #1 WR - unfortunately - he's probably the least experienced "physically gifted" rookie WR that's come into the league in quite a while.

He can get open, and he'll learn all the routes, and how to consistently get separation, AND - he already knows how to catch the ball. He just doesn't have the experience to be able to do this on a consistent basis because he's out there trying to "think" how he's going to get it done - and he has to be at the level where he knows how to get it all done, through experience - time after time - and then not think when the ball comes his way. I have every confidence that he'll become one of our best WRs in decades (KOW - of course).

Mr Magoo - your thoughts on Sanchez are "blasphemy" to too many people that don't understand the special circumstances.

People - most Jet Fans think - hey - the kid was picked 5th in the draft, and look at all the rookie QBs that have come into the league and HELPED guide their teams to the playoffs (which Sanchez did too) - Rothlisberger, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and and and.....oops - I doubt that even the great Andrew luck will make it, although he might; RGIII won't, Cam Newton didn't, and still won't - but anyway, that's not the point - all these guys started at least 3 years in college (Flacco - 5 years in college he couldn't beat out Tyler Palco @ Pitt - he couldn't play officially in '05 because of the transfer to Deleware, and then 2 great seasons - 2006, and 2007 - drafted in 2008; Rothlisberger played for 4 years, starting 3 years as he started as a redshirt freshmen, and left after his Junior year; Matt Ryan @ BC - played 3 games as a Freshmen, came in week 3 as a Sophomore, and took over for good in week 5, started his Junior and Senior years; Andy Dalton - 5 years in college - redshirted Freshman, but traveled with the team - started all 4 years following that).

There is just no substitute for experience, and Sanchez has his Junior Year, and 3 games as a Sophomore as his base of experience. To make matters worse, Sanchez came to a defensively motivated Head Coach (REX) that didn't intend on building an offense around him - in fact - he was a set-up for not having success, as the emphasis was put on "don't lose the game." HOWEVER midway through his 4th year - things should be "clicking" by now, and hey, he was 15out of 20, and he was very goodmaybe on 3rd down. Tomorrow will tell the tale - maybe. If Sanchez comes out tomorrow and has a great game for a win - maybe that will be the "turning point" of his career - and maybe he becomes the great franchise QB that we have longed for........nah.

GO JETS!!!
    Do I seem to you like someone who cares whether my opinions are popular?

I believe we all have the right to speak our minds here, and if certain people want to lash out at those of us who don't agree with them, I can't do anything about that.

Considering that most people see things as "black and white" I can't take offense to those who don't understand or agree with my desire to open my mind to the grey areas.

-Sun Tzu

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314