Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

When will the vikings be a playoff contendor?

I've been thinking about this for awhile. I have friends who are football fans, of The Packers, The Steelers, The Giants and The Patriots. Every time we get together to watch football, I have to hear how bad my team is and get asked 21 questions as to why I stay a fan of who I cheer for... I tell them the same thing everytime. I am loyal to my team through the thick an thin. I was raised a.Vikings fan and always will be.. It bothers me we have never won a super bowl and there teams all have, but it will never bother me enough to jump on that band wagon and go to another team...

So I have been thinking realistically how long before we could make a super bowl push? I know its a hard question coming off a 3-13 season but, this team has talent. We have more tlalent than some teams who did better then us last year. We watched our super bowl caliber team crumble after a cheap loss to New Orleans, then we watched them fall apart again the next year and basically crushed themselves last year...

Now we have taken a new approach at how were building a team. We are young but still have a few veteran playmakers who can really add to that effect... I say were gonna take a few years to rebuild... But in the long run is that going to hurt us? Say by 2016 when pur New stadium is done, were gonna be fired up and really playing in our New stadium, well have some new talent on our team, but guys like Allen, greenway, k will, Winfield, Peterson, Harvin... Do you think there still gonna be out on the field in there prime?

Cause honestly, I'd like to see everyone on this team that I named, all the.vets get a ring if possible. They were here when we were beat up, broke down and still went out game after game and played there hearts out.

Just something I've been having.in my head for awhile... When.do you see us competitive?

vCash
    I believe if Ponder keeps progressing, in two years we'll be in the mix. Three years from now we'll be annual playoff contenders. That's what I see. But it really depends on Ponder.

vCash
    I think the Vikings are the most up in the air team this season. They could go on a roll and make the playoffs, or they can end up 0-16. It all depends on how much Ponder has progressed, how well AP is going to come off of his injury, and if any of our young guys can step up and make plays.

I think this season is going to be an interesting one for us Vikings fans. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
    [Minnesota Vikings] - [Chicago White Sox] - [Purdue Boilermakers]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepinItTwizted View Post
    I've been thinking about this for awhile. I have friends who are football fans, of The Packers, The Steelers, The Giants and The Patriots. Every time we get together to watch football, I have to hear how bad my team is and get asked 21 questions as to why I stay a fan of who I cheer for... I tell them the same thing everytime. I am loyal to my team through the thick an thin. I was raised a.Vikings fan and always will be.. It bothers me we have never won a super bowl and there teams all have, but it will never bother me enough to jump on that band wagon and go to another team...

So I have been thinking realistically how long before we could make a super bowl push? I know its a hard question coming off a 3-13 season but, this team has talent. We have more tlalent than some teams who did better then us last year. We watched our super bowl caliber team crumble after a cheap loss to New Orleans, then we watched them fall apart again the next year and basically crushed themselves last year...

Now we have taken a new approach at how were building a team. We are young but still have a few veteran playmakers who can really add to that effect... I say were gonna take a few years to rebuild... But in the long run is that going to hurt us? Say by 2016 when pur New stadium is done, were gonna be fired up and really playing in our New stadium, well have some new talent on our team, but guys like Allen, greenway, k will, Winfield, Peterson, Harvin... Do you think there still gonna be out on the field in there prime?

Cause honestly, I'd like to see everyone on this team that I named, all the.vets get a ring if possible. They were here when we were beat up, broke down and still went out game after game and played there hearts out.

Just something I've been having.in my head for awhile... When.do you see us competitive?

First of all, I hate it when people jump ship to jump onto a bandwagen. When the Vikings are not in the playoffs, I do like to cheer on the under-dog teams.

I think the Vikes will be a playoff contender in 2013. If all our players stay healthy and gain a year or two of experience, that will be big. We can fill in our weaknesses through the draft.

vCash
    Unfortunately it wont be this year, I dont see us having a great season much like last year, but the upside to that is it puts us in the position to draft a top notch wide reciever prospect such as Robert Woods who would help Ponder develope greatly.

vCash
    If Ponder can not throw pics and throw for about 300 yrds a game,,,,This Season,,,,,This Season,,,,,This Season.....This Season. Even with out AP,,,,Toby, Harvin, and Kyle are going to have MONSTER SEASONS this year.

And with Ponder rushing there is a good chance we will lead the league in Rushing this Season.

vCash
    Most people here are blind homers. The probably earliest we could would be next season if Ponder shows enough progression, if he does not then it likely will be a while longer.
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    Well, as said, it depends on ponder. As i fear, he may never develop into the guy(hope he doe) and we just wasted how ever many years trying to put a team around a reach of a qb.

vCash
    Think of how many games we blew in the 2nd half last year. I don't think there is a high probability we make the playoffs this year, but it is a possibility. AP, Harvin, Simpson, Rudolph are some really nice pieces at skill positions on O... the D is not what it used to be, but with a revamped secondary... should be improved.

The fact that there are 3 teams in the division that are true contenders can make it seem hopeless at present, but they will be beating each other up too. Look at the NFC East... NY, Philly and Dal are all playoff caliber... but that division is so hard that most years the winner only has 10 or 11 wins. We play the NFC West, AFC South and a couple of last place finishers from a other divisions... we could potentially pull a HUGE surprise and snag a wild card this year.

More likely we will have between 7-9 wins this year and have a really good shot at next years playoffs after going through another draft and FA...

unless of course Ponder blows Whale c%$k...

If we go 3-13 again, resigning valuable vets like Harvin and JA is going to be a problem. They are not going to want to stay through a second rebuilding project QB in their second contract... leaving the rebuilding in a really bad place. This is when something as unthinkable as trading AP would have to be considered. Hopefully Ponder sucked enough Whale c$#k in college.

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    2 years. Progress this year, competitive next year (as in around .500/missing playoffs), and the following year we should be looking at a pretty good team.

I know some of our anchors are getting older, but I really like the youth movement, which nearly every good team went through at some point.

vCash
    I think Ponder will develop. I really hope we.can snag a young WR next year who just lights it up and plays balls out for us... That's our biggest need right now.

vCash
    This team has quite a bit of holes on defense and offense. However if Ponder can keep progressing and we can get him offensive weapons we may have a chance in a year or two. We would also need to resign some key players like Harvin. A ton can go wrong in the next year or two but if everything goes well we should be playoff contenders soon.

vCash
    Blind Homers?.....In a couple of years?...WOW...This team has always been just QB play away from the playoffs. Allen and AP are reasons alone to have faith in the playoffs every year. No im not blind I've watched this game for a very long time and first of all, on paper means ***** and also every season is up in the air and every year a handful of teams surprise the league. I know what these players can do, minus the newly drafted and I know the situation of last year. Yea the NFC North is going to be tough but yet every team the Patriots are suppose to win it all and they dont, once again this is a new season, and the more you say we are going to suck, the more we will, its called spoken word.

Will we be undefeated and win the Super Bowl Prob not but are we going to be bottom feeders and have the same season as last,,,,Hell no we are going to be way better, I dont care about our schedule,,,,I care about us and how we do business.

vCash
    I have us at 8-8 this year +/- 2. That means, to me, 6-10 worse case and 10-6 best case. We are not that bad of a team. We lost 9 games by a td or less last year. We stole one from the Jags last week which is a game we would have lost last year. I think our division winner is 10-6 this year and it goes to the wire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    This team has quite a bit of holes on defense and offense.
    All teams have holes. Whilst we certainly have weaknesses at WR, LB and secondary, all it takes is fixing one of those and we could be considered competitive.

However, as people say, a lot rides on Ponder. The contending NFL teams have very good/great QBs and it is having a good QB that covers the weaker areas. It doesn't really matter how weak the Patriots' secondary/RB is when they have Brady. What will decide whether the Eagles reach the playoffs will not be fixing their issues at LB, but whether Vick can pull himself together.

If Ponder continues to grow and builds on the second half of the Jags game, we could be playoff contenders next year. After that, it's about putting a run together; otherwise Brady would have 8 rings at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast