Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah but wouldn't you say those 2 years are worth it?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    No.

vCash
    Please explain.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Botch says Canucks offered Doan a similar contract that Coyotes offered. Same years, less money.

<3

vCash
    That was the gist of the discussion. Ferraro was on the fence. He can see that the guy is good and he's what the Canucks need, but he also pointed out that he can't finesse his way as he ages, like Whitney (for example) can. Either he's strong and dominates like a PF should or he won't contribute much.

The discussion was whether it was worth having 7M per on the books for two years on the gamble that Doan is the factor that tips the balance so they can win the Cup. Personally I agree with Ferraro. I don't think at this stage of his career he really is the difference maker they need and to have such a huge cap hit ... he could also be a real bust. Ferraro pointed out that he only scored three goals in last year's playoff run. We actually need scoring, not just a PF who may or may not have some dominance left in the tank.

Do we need a PF? **** yeah. But is Doan that player? And at that cost and term?
    Last edited by ink; 09-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    That was the gist of the discussion. Ferraro was on the fence. He can see that the guy is good and he's what the Canucks need, but he also pointed out that he can't finesse his way. Either he's strong and dominates like a PF should or he won't contribute much.

The discussion was whether it was worth having 7M per on the books for two years on the gamble that Doan is the factor that tips the balance so they can win the Cup. Personally I agree with Ferraro. I don't think at this stage of his career he really is the difference maker they need and to have such a huge cap hit ... he could also be a real bust. Ferraro pointed out that he only scored three goals in last year's playoff run. We actually need scoring, not just a PF who may or may not have some dominance left in the tank.

Do we need a PF? **** yeah. But is Doan that player? And at that cost and term?
    It's not just the scoring though. It's the fact that he doesn't get involved with the opponents headgames, which can't be said about the majority of our roster. We could use his professionalism and leadership.

Plus he'd be a good mentor for Kassian. This is all assuming that we get him for the proposed 4 year 20 mil offer.
    Last edited by sfgiants1213; 09-10-2012 at 06:49 PM.

<3

vCash
    Botch says Canucks offered Doan a similar contract that Coyotes offered. Same years, less money.
    Too bad we can't offer him a big hit for two years: 2 years at $7M per.

vCash
    Please explain.
    First off, before that whole defense comes, I am not bitter about Shane Doan choosing Vancouver over Detroit on his list. That whole thing came up against me during the Zach Parise/Ryan Suter signings. I am mature enough to not let that be my view.

Shane Doan is one of my favourite players outside of Detroit.

I don't know which contract we are talking about. Are we talking about a 4 year deal at 5M per or 7M per? Both are bad deals.

Shane Doan is a 50 point player. He will be 36 when the season starts (October 10th), if it starts. Why the raise now? I believe he was making $4.6M before this. I know contracts have went up, but he has certainly slowed down. 5M a year, fine. Then you add in that he will be 37, then 38, and then 39. His style is rough. He could retire at any time. He's not dominate enough. He's worth 5M now, which is about perfect.. so don't get me started @ 7M per.

Shane Doan is good, not great. Those deals should be for great players. The 4 year 30M deal caught me so off guard.

vCash
    It's not just the scoring though. It's the fact that he doesn't get involved with the opponents headgames, which can't be said about the majority of our roster. We could use his professionalism and leadership.

Plus he'd be a good mentor for Kassian. This is all assuming that we get him for the proposed 4 year 20 mil offer.
    No doubt at all about the bolded. I just wish the guy wasn't so old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    No doubt at all about the bolded. I just wish the guy wasn't so old.
    Our core is aging, and we all know the window is closing quick. I want to see Mike make one more run while the Sedins are still in their prime and under contract.

<3

vCash
    I can see Doan re-signing with Phoenix by the end of the week. I think this whole tour he did a couple of months ago, was about him showing that there are a lot of teams out there that want him and will be willing to pay above market value. (posturing) I don't know if he really had or has any intentions of leaving the Coyotes. He's looking to stay in Phoenix and to get paid well for his loyalty. Team will stay in Phoenix, and so will Doan.

vCash
    My guess: After Doan re-signs with Phoenix, Gillis will turn around and sign Arnott, and he will be the "power forward" addition to the team this year. With the possibility of a lockout looming, Gillis may not be as hard-pressed to find a replacement for Kesler, as he once thought. Maybe he has high expectations for Kassian this year? Maybe he's expecting to fill a hole in the lineup through a Lu deal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    My guess: After Doan re-signs with Phoenix, Gillis will turn around and sign Arnott, and he will be the "power forward" addition to the team this year. With the possibility of a lockout looming, Gillis may not be as hard-pressed to find a replacement for Kesler, as he once thought. Maybe he has high expectations for Kassian this year? Maybe he's expecting to fill a hole in the lineup through a Lu deal?
    Or maybe he's not expecting hockey until January, at which time Kesler will be healed and ready to go. If there's one team in the NHL that didn't fill their holes and wouldn't mind missing 30 games or so, it has to be the Canucks.

vCash
    Some difficulties in Coyotes sale might prevent deal from happening by Sept 15, which could then result in Doan signing elsewhere.
    https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...31071877079040

Good chances Doan signs with Van/NY

<3

vCash
    https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...31071877079040

Good chances Doan signs with Van/NY
    Sather vs Gillis: which one is known as the big spender?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast