Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sabres the "mystery team" on Doan

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/buf120821.html

The Buffalo Sabres are still waiting on an official response from unrestricted free agent Shane Doan with regards to their four-year offer tabled last month.
    When Doan began fielding offers from various clubs in mid-July, approximately two weeks after hitting the open market, several teams stepped up.

The Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Los Angeles Kings, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers and Nashville Predators were among the teams interested in Doan's services, with the Phoenix Coyotes remaining the veteran's No. 1 choice.

There was another team that reportedly offered a four-year deal worth in the neighborhood of $7 million to $7.5 million per season, though the identity of that club was unconfirmed.

TFP has since confirmed the Sabres were the mystery team that pitched Doan the four-year, mega contract offer, but have not yet been told yes or no.

Doan's preference has always been to re-sign with the Coyotes, if they stay in Phoenix, and while that looks to be the case, they've not given in to Doan's demands on the four-year deal he seeks.

Other clubs, including the Red Wings, Penguins, Blackhawks and Canucks, have not come close to offering Doan a similar deal to that of the Sabres, league sources told TFP, but their Stanley Cup contending status has played a factor.

It's unclear as to when Doan will make his decision. His agent, Terry Bross, did not immediately return messages left earlier today.

WOW!!! Does anyone think he will sign with Buffalo? Yes, I know this is "old news," but still!
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    My gut says no he won't. I think he wants a team that he feels is closer to getting a cup than Buffalo is. If he does not sign back on with Phoenix, I would bet on the Wings or Canucks.

I would like him on the Sabres, but not at $7.5 million for 4 years. 5.5 million yes; I think the Sabres have to offer more to actually have a chance, so that is what they did.

vCash
    This will be the absolute worst move Darcy could possibly make. Especially if the Salary cap goes down. Being 35-years old, a 7.5 Salary Cap hit will plague this team for the duration of the contract. Meaning If Doan retires in two years, we still have that huge cap hit on the books for two years. That means no Getzlaf next year, or any other big name talented Center for the next four years.

Doan is absolutely not worth it. Next year, there will be a free agent buffet out there. Doan's salary would prevent this team from entertaining any thoughts of signing someone. As it stands now, if the Cap is coming down like they said, by signing Doan, the Sabres would have to trade 5 Roster players, in order to pay him and resign Ennis. After that, we would still be less than 1 million under the cap, so we dont need this headache.

vCash
    THANK GOD, it is now reported Doan is staying in Phoenix. Darcy should be fired for even entertaining the thought of being in salary cap hell for the next four years.

vCash
    Doan is only signing in Phoenix if the owner transfer gets finalized by Friday at 11:59 pm. Otherwise he is signing the best offer available at that time.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt