Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Doan is not needed on this team now

Honestly, I don't think he fits. This is becoming a speed team. The addition of Nash at the expense of AA and Dubinsky who can play center has left the Rangers needing a 3rd line center. Boyle isn't that guy and I don't think Miller is ready yet.

vCash
    I think the Rangers could still use him, he is a very good two way player and with his relationships in the Ranger's organization (in regards to the coaches) he would be a good fit.

He is still a consistent 20-25 goal scorer and the Rangers could use all the offense they can get with Gaborik being out till at least December.

I wouldn't give him 4 yrs/30 million dollars but Doan is a conssumate professional and a strong presence in the locker room who could help this team.

I would make the move if he wants to come here but it's all about price.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-30-2012 at 05:40 PM.

vCash
    He may not be "needed" at this point, though I definitely think he fits the mold of what this team has been about, if not in skill set, certainly then in attitude and action on the ice. He's exactly the kind of player you want on your team, as he's a leader, is willing to sacrifice, and still has plenty of ability to warrant heavy ice-time.

But he's also allegedly seeking a lot of money over a large number of years for a guy who will be 36 in October.
    A 4-year deal, which may well be what he winds up getting, is IMO, way too much for any player, particularly power-forward (they don't age well) who is north of 32 or 33.
    Couple that with the fact that 40-yeard olds like Jagr and Whitney got deals worth $4.5 mil per year, which is what Doan was making last year, and you have to figure he's looking for upwards of $5-5.5 mil per or better, as this is certainly his last big pay day, and perhaps his last contract.

At that price, if I had to give him any more then 2 years, I'd probably take a pass on Doan, satnd pat, and see what's available at the deadline.

vCash
    And if someone gives Doan the 4-year, $30 million deal that both ESPN and TSN say he's looking for, than that team is nuts. That amount of money is reserved for elite players and guys who pot forty pucks. Doan has never been elite, nor has he ever scored more than 31 in any season.

vCash
    He fits perfectly in this system, just not for 4 years 30M

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    And if someone gives Doan the 4-year, $30 million deal that both ESPN and TSN say he's looking for, than that team is nuts. That amount of money is reserved for elite players and guys who pot forty pucks. Doan has never been elite, nor has he ever scored more than 31 in any season.
    Its a "negotiation" is it not? On top of that who know if that's really true... And yes, some GM's make head scratching moves but to give him 7.5 per is beyond that. Extremely unlikely that 4/30 will be the deal he gets...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    Nobody said he was looking for that. He was offered that and at the time only 2 teams made offers Sabres and the Pens and we all know Buffalo didnt make that offer. If he was just all about money he would have jumped all over it. Its never been about money with him its been about staying where he is and keeping his family from moving.

vCash
    The post on both ESPN and TSN clearly states that he's "looking for" that deal. It is a negotiation for sure, and I don't think Shane Doan is all about the money in any way. If that were the case he'd have left Phoenix years ago. We all know that he wants to stay in the desert.

But think that once he's legitimatey been offered that amount by someone, it's not such a reach to think that someone else will make a similar offer to him. And I can't blame any player for going for all they can in professonthat they can't do for 30-40 years like the rest of us. But that amount of money for Shane Doan at any time in his career is absurd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmARanger18 View Post
    He fits perfectly in this system, just not for 4 years 30M
    BINGO!!!!!!

vCash
    I am a big fan of Shane Doan but am concerned he fits in as a 3rd line winger, which makes his likely salary too high. With Nash, Callahan, Hagelin & Kreider as our top 4 wingers to start the season as of now, would Doan then become a 1st line LW and push Hagelin and Kreider down to 2nd and 3rd line LW? Perhaps that is what Sather & Tortorella are thinking, yet when Gaborik returns, that would imply either Hagelin & Kreider would be further pushed down to 3rd & 4th line LW, or Callahan would move to 3rd line RW. I don't see either of these scenarios occurring.

Clearly, Sather is in strong pursuit of Doan. Like I said, I like him and think he would perform well for a few seasons. Yet, after Gaborik returns, we would have a "nice" problem within the forward lineup.

vCash
    Apparently he was in Vancouver today to talk to the Canucks, i guess the only thing that concerns me is that there will be so many teams interested he won't have to accept the Ranger's deal by default.

But who knows, if he comes off of 4 yrs/30 million bucks i expect Sather to be in this till the end.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-03-2012 at 03:48 PM.

vCash
    I don't really believe the 4/30m is something he's not willing to tweak. I think if the Rangers offered 3yrs/20m he'd take it since he really likes where the team is and playing for an Original 6 has appeal. He may go to Vancouver if they offer 4 years. Its probably between us 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger71 View Post
    I don't really believe the 4/30m is something he's not willing to tweak. I think if the Rangers offered 3yrs/20m he'd take it since he really likes where the team is and playing for an Original 6 has appeal. He may go to Vancouver if they offer 4 years. Its probably between us 2.
    Regarding Vancouver, it has Edler and at least one key forward that will be UFAs going into next season, and the Sedin twins the year after. This tells me the Canucks will likely offer no more than a 3yr deal to give management contract flexibility around resigning the Sedins. Conversely, the Rangers have Gaborik, Callahan, Girardi and Lundqvist to resign in two years, hence, we may not be in a position to offer more than a two year deal. If his family loves the Phoenix area, I'd say with this in mind and the two teams' contract staggering profile, the Canucks have the advantage in signing Doan. Also, from a practical perspective, there is more risk to Doan becoming a 3rd line player with the Rangers than with the Canucks right now. I think I just convinced myself he'll sign with the Canucks.

vCash
    Right, being its his hometown too its more likely he ends up in Vancouver. The only reason I could see him in NY is they are a little closer to winning IMO and I'd think(speculating)that he'd rather not face the Coyotes that much if he leaves. He is pretty friendly with Nash too which could help. Its really the final piece for us. I don't think the Rangers will re-sign Gaborik but maybe HL and Callahan take a little less to fit him in. Girardi I could see them letting walk if he wants too much, plus he'll be worn down a bit by then. McIlrath and even Skjei/Andersson could be ready by then.

vCash
    We have too many guys coming up in 2 years. We can't go 3 on his contract. Unless Sather is willing to move Staal or Girardi in 2 years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast