Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

2012 SEC Projections

Well what do you guys think about this upcoming season. Here are some of my thoughts. Will look at the rest of the conference later and give my thoughts there starting with the SEC East.

Georgia (11-1)

They could lose most of their starters and probably go 8-4 with the schedule they have this year. They have Buffalo, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech non-conference and those are 4 easy wins. Then they have Kentucky and Ole Miss that are easy conference wins. From a matchup standpoint they should beat Missouri, Vandy, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn.

The only game that they possibly won't go into as the favorite is South Carolina. So it will (better be) a good season for Georgia this year. They have a pretty solid returning team and the easiest SEC schedule I can ever remember seeing considering that they don't even have to play Alabama, LSU or Arkansas. Anything less than 10 wins should put heat on Mark Richt.

South Carolina (9-3)

The good news is that South Carolina is probably gonna go 5-0 to start the season and could end up ranked pretty high by that point seeing that they started off at #9. The bad news is that they play at LSU, at Florida, at Clemson, Georgia and Arkansas in 5 of their last 7. That and we seen the other night that without Connor Shaw their offense had nothing so they better hope he stays healthy.

But I think they started off this season a little overrated especially on the defensive side of the ball. They already beat Vandy and I expect them to beat ECU, UAB, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Wofford. Then you have the 5 games above and I expect them to win a couple of those and lose the others.

Florida Gators (8-4)

I'm being generous here thinking that they have figured something out on offense. But really I look at that offense and don't see anything to lend me to believe they are gonna consistently score points in the SEC. The good thing though is that the defense should be very solid.

They have games against Bowling Green, Kentucky, Louisiana-Lafayette and Jacksonville State that should be locked up wins. But the other 8 games are gonna be tough. Usually Tennessee and Vanderbilt are all but written off wins. Not this year. They have South Carolina, LSU, Georgia and Florida State that all are gonna be tough to win.

Tennessee (7-5)

The people here in Tennessee are all hyped up about them beating NC State 35-21 on Friday night. I think they are forgetting that last year they beat Cincinnati 45-23 and went on to have a 5-7 season. Then the year before that they beat UT-Martin 60-0 in the opener and went on to go 7-6. The UT fans here seem to forget that they play in the SEC while watching them win non-conference games.

Looking at the schedule I expect them to beat Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky and Miss State to get them to 6 wins. Then they have Florida, Vandy and Missouri. Their season really banks on those games. I said it earlier this week that their season is gonna go around NC State, Florida, Vandy and Missouri. Because they had 5 games they should win and 3 games they should lose with those games being in the middle.

If they had a better coach I would put this team at 8-4. But I don't think that Derek Dooley is gonna do a good enough job to win some of the close games they are gonna encounter.

Vanderbilt (7-5)

I'm big on this team coming into this season. James Franklin has those boys believing in this team. Jordan Rogers is probably the second best quarterback behind Jay Cutler they have had in a long time. That defense is gonna show up every week and play tough as nails. They held South Carolina to 17 points this week and probably outplayed them in that game.

They went 6-6 last year and have 18 starters coming back this year with an easier schedule. I expect them to beat Northwestern, Presbyterian, Mass, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Wake Forest which would get them to 6 wins. In addition to those I can see them pulling the upset against Tennessee or Missouri. I think they beat Tennessee this year in Nashville after what happened last year.

Missouri (6-6)

It is tough to guess for Missouri and A&M considering that we don't quite know how they will match up in the SEC. But this season is gonna be tough for Missouri because they have a pretty tough schedule.

They just won the easiest game on their schedule but now have their SEC games and 3 non-conference games against Arizona State, Central Florida and Syracuse. None of those are gimme wins. Arizona State beat them last year. Central Florida was 5-7 last year but lost 6 of those by a touchdown or less. Syracuse is a game they should win but they are capable of pulling the upset like they did last year against West Virginia.

As far as the SEC goes they have Texas A&M, Tennessee, Florida and South Carolina all on the road. Then they have Alabama, Georgia, Vandy and Kentucky at home. Kentucky is the only one of those games that maybe won't be a tough game.

Kentucky (3-9)

I got money on this one as one of the sites that I bet on had the over/under for their season win total at 5.5. I will gladly take the under on that bet all day. This Kentucky team will be lucky as hell to come up with 5 wins let alone get to a bowl game.

They lost 32-14 to Louisville and have Kent State, Western Kentucky and Samford left as winnable games. Aside from those I don't think they win a single SEC game. Ole Miss is maybe the only other team they could beat and they don't play them this year.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 09-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.

vCash
    After today, 8 wins would thrill me. Next year is the year we're back in the national picture IMO. And by that I mean a top 15 finish.

I keep telling myself Bowling Green had like 10 starters back on defense but then I remind myself it's Bowling Green

We're ****ed.

vCash
    I'd be happy with 8 wins out of Florida. Honestly I think the offense will improve slighty when Muschamp finally decides on a QB.

vCash
    The SEC West

Alabama (12-0)

It will probably bite me when they fall apart at some point but I just can't see this team losing a game during the regular season. The defense looked just as dominant as ever against Michigan in the opener. Plus and a major plus is that the offense looked better than in their championship runs against a really good Michigan defense.

If this team can consistently play at level then the only team on their schedule who could possibly beat them is LSU. Because I seen Michigan as probably the second toughest game on their schedule and they just banged them like a drum.

LSU 10-2

I'm not sold on the offense with their new quarterback and the defense without some of their key pieces. I think this team is gonna be very good but they will lose to Alabama and slip up and lose another somewhere along the way like at Texas A&M which is the game before they play Alabama.

Arkansas 8-4

They have the talent to do much better but without the coaching I think they lose a couple close ones. They play LSU, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Auburn and Miss State with the rest being winnable games. We will see how good Tyler Wilson is down that stretch.

Texas A&M 8-4

They have a pretty decent schedule their first year in the SEC. They have winnable games against LA Tech, SMU, South Carolina State, Sam Houston State and Ole Miss. Then they have games against Missouri, Vanderbilt, Miss State and Florida that they can certainly win if they play well.

It will be interesting to see how they do against the big teams in Alabama and LSU. They play their first SEC game this week against Florida and I expect them to win that one.

Miss State 7-5

They are another team with a pretty favorable schedule. Out of conference they have Jackson State (won 56-9), Troy, South Alabama and MTSU those should all be pretty easy wins. Then in conference they get both Ole Miss and Kentucky which should get them to bowl eligibility. I expect they sneak one out against Tennessee, Auburn, Texas A&M or Arkansas.

Auburn 7-5

I expect this team to be about as good as the team last year. I'm banking on my feeling that Gene Chizik isn't a good coach and will be out in a few years. He went 5-19 at Iowa State and at Auburn if you take away Cam Newton has been very average. Both seasons without Cam Newton he went 7-5 and then won the bowl games against lesser teams in Northwestern and Virginia.

I look at that schedule and they already lost to Clemson. Yet they still have LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M and Georgia. They can go 3-3 against that group and still finish only 8-4.

Ole Miss 3-9

I'm being generous here and saying that they will beat UTEP and Tulane. And that isn't a given at all especially when you see that UTEP stayed close to Oklahoma last week. But aside from those games I can't see Ole Miss winning any of the SEC games and they also have Texas as a non-conference game.

I think that Hugh Freeze is gonna find out real quick that he isn't coaching in high school or the Sun Belt anymore.

vCash
    Get to find out about Texas A&M and Missouri this week.