Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Bumgarner or Sale

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bumgarner

    31 63.27%
  • Sale

    18 36.73%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    Actually Sale is younger so you are wrong there.

    Again you missed the point on the team sport. I can take 2 of Sale's random starts and say its better. The TEAM got to the World Series not just Bumgarner.

    Sale xFIP this year in his FIRST season starting was 3.24. Bumgarner's was 3.85. I am not taking anything away from Bum he is a very good young starting pitcher, who has had great success. But Sale has the better stuff and is the better pitcher. Bum has the better track record so far because he has been starting longer.
    ACTUALLY....

    Sale D.O.B March 30, 1989
    Bum D.O.B. August 1, 1989


    San Francisco Giants Trophy Wall

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,560
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    Actually Sale is younger so you are wrong there.

    Again you missed the point on the team sport. I can take 2 of Sale's random starts and say its better. The TEAM got to the World Series not just Bumgarner.

    Sale xFIP this year in his FIRST season starting was 3.24. Bumgarner's was 3.85. I am not taking anything away from Bum he is a very good young starting pitcher, who has had great success. But Sale has the better stuff and is the better pitcher. Bum has the better track record so far because he has been starting longer.
    1) As D79 pointed out, Bumgarner's YOUNGER not Sale.

    2) How does taking random starts define which player's better? Both have had good and bad. Yes, baseball's a team sport but pitching largely produces an accurate individual statistic. As far as postseason goes, Bumgarner's been excellent, Sale struggled to get 190 innings, doubtful he'd pitch well in the post season with a dead arm.

    3) Bumgarner had a better first year than Sale. Bumgarner's 3.10 xFIP to Sales 3.24.

    4) So having a slightly better k/9 makes you a better pitcher? Bumgarner's shown slightly better command that alone doesn't make him a better pitcher.

    5) You realize it's not guaranteed Sale will be better or even duplicate his first years success right? Bumgarner's better track record is only further evidence that he's more reliable and a surer commodity. Sale was absolutely filthy his first 150-160 inn but he struggled with his last 40inn. So there's much to say for a pitchers sustained success especially in the postseason.

    Both of these guys are studs. It's really a great comparison.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    17,307
    vCash
    1500
    I mixed up the birthdays. I had both their fangraphs pages open and just switched b-days. Bum's first year starting was 2010 and he had a 3.85 xFIP not a 3.10, that came in 2011.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...524&position=P

    I have stated already that Bum has the better track record.

    Ofcourse Sale struggled at the end of the season. It was his first year starting since college in 2010. The Sox drafted him in June 2010, he only pitched 10.1 innings in the minors then was called up and put in the bullpen.

    I used xFIP because that factors in park if im not mistaken. Bum pitches in one of the best pitchers park in all of baseball and Sale pitches in one of the best hitting parks. So I tried to use the stat that would compare them the best.

    Ofcourse we are not sure if Sale can duplicate his 2012 performance. But the question was asked for right now and Sale has the better stuff, but Bum has the track record.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    5,162
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WadeKobe View Post
    LMAO at "track record" and "did it in the playoffs."

    A couple of games mean very little in judging a player. This is a game of huge sample sizes and long-term success. A couple of games in the playoffs is nice, and it's an accomplishment, but it says nothing as to who is better.

    Long-term the answer is obvious. If he's healthy, it is Sale hands down. He just has much better stuff, probably the best lefty stuff in baseball along with Kershaw. He also has extremely good command.

    So far he's been healthy, but health will be the concern. As a pitcher, though, as great as Bum is, Sale is the best young lefty in the game.

    lol... funny post of the day.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    5,162
    vCash
    1500
    This post was from 2012 when they were trying to find the best pitchers in the game, and there were several candidates including Jose Fernandez, Stephen Strasburg, Chris Sale, Moore in Tampa, Harvey in NYM, and Bumgarner.

    I think its rather foolish now. Nobody would think twice that it's the 3 time world series champion Madison Bumgarner. HANDS DOWN. argument over.... drop the mic, exit stage left.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    17,307
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    This post was from 2012 when they were trying to find the best pitchers in the game, and there were several candidates including Jose Fernandez, Stephen Strasburg, Chris Sale, Moore in Tampa, Harvey in NYM, and Bumgarner.

    I think its rather foolish now. Nobody would think twice that it's the 3 time world series champion Madison Bumgarner. HANDS DOWN. argument over.... drop the mic, exit stage left.
    What does a teams success have anything to do with the argument of Bum vs. Sale?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    15,112
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    This post was from 2012 when they were trying to find the best pitchers in the game, and there were several candidates including Jose Fernandez, Stephen Strasburg, Chris Sale, Moore in Tampa, Harvey in NYM, and Bumgarner.

    I think its rather foolish now. Nobody would think twice that it's the 3 time world series champion Madison Bumgarner. HANDS DOWN. argument over.... drop the mic, exit stage left.
    Nah, ill still take Sale. It's not his fault the White Sox weren't in the playoffs. People who think a few playoff starts overtake everything else are mistaken.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    40,014
    vCash
    1000
    I think it's basically a draw over the last two years in the sense that Sale and Bumgarner are statistically almost identical when you add in Bumgarner's post-season numbers.

    Moving forward, these two could be with Kershaw as the three best lefties in baseball.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •