Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Yeah...took them 4+ seasons to kill anyone that I really cared about.

It's not a big beef of mine, but I have seen a ton of critics talk about the same thing. The show has one recipe: get the Sons in to danger, let it build, and then miraculously get them out of it.

Alan Sepinwall wrote a great piece at the beginning of this season explaining why he was done reviewing the show. At the time of reading it I kept nodding my head emphatically. I think he is 100% right about everything, and most of it I had been complaining about before. He briefly touches on this point, but he gets more in depth about it during his reviews last season.

It's a fun show, and obviously I'm still watching it...but sometimes it is pretty frustrating. This season has been probably my second favorite, but I feel like it is beginning to just drag at this point.

Oh well. It's a fun show, I enjoy it even though it's far from perfect, and that's all that matters. That's why I haven't been posting in this thread much; no reason to be too nit picky.
    And IIRC correctly, I responded to your post in that thread about how ridiculous his article was. Like I said before, fantastic shows like The Shield or Breaking Bad didn't kill off any major characters until the fourth or fifth seasons, and I don't think anybody would complain about that for either show. And those guys got in just as much, if not more trouble than the Sons. It's just people looking for something to complain about.

Just because you didn't like Half-Sac or Piney doesn't change the fact that they were major characters who were killed.

A character doesn't have to die for the show to be interesting. Contrary to what you said, they don't always get out of it. Their loved ones die, they go to jail. They get punished for what they're doing, even if that punishment isn't always death.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 11-30-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    And IIRC correctly, I responded to your post in that thread about how ridiculous his article was. Like I said before, fantastic shows like The Shield or Breaking Bad didn't kill off any major characters until the fourth or fifth seasons, and I don't think anybody would complain about that for either show. And those guys got in just as much, if not more trouble than the Sons. It's just people looking for something to complain about.

Just because you didn't like Half-Sac or Piney doesn't change the fact that they were major characters who were killed.

A character doesn't have to die for the show to be interesting. Contrary to what you said, they don't always get out of it. Their loved ones die, they go to jail. They get punished for what they're doing, even if that punishment isn't always death.
    My beef with killing off characters is very low on the totem pole. I led that post off with it saying "it's not a big beef of mine"...or whatever. It does play into the whole snaking/sneaking (both work) out of the continual problems that perpetuate every seasons, the end of Season 4 being the most egregious.

I forgot to link the article, since I was leaving work at the time.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...and-weaknesses

Creating television is not an exact science. For every show that debuts as a fully-formed entity ("The Shield," "The Sopranos," "Arrested Development"), there are plenty that struggle early on but improve dramatically over time, usually when they return for their second seasons, having had a few months to examine what worked and what didn't in the debut year. For some shows ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Breaking Bad," "Parks and Recreation"), that creative leap taken in year 2 is one that sticks, while for others (say, "Chuck") it represents an early peak, where all the elements consistently click in a way that didn't often happen before or after.

I had hoped "Sons of Anarchy" was one that made it to the next level and stayed there, but as the motorcycle club drama enters its fifth season tomorrow night at 10 p.m. on FX, it's clear that incredible second year was the exception and not the rule.

"Sons" creator Kurt Sutter and the team he's assembled continue to do many things very well. The strong and deep ensemble cast gets ample time to shine, with Charlie Hunnam as conflicted club leader Jax, Kim Coates as the brutal Tig and Ryan Hurst as the mournful Opie getting especially strong material in the two episodes I've seen so far. Sutter also introduces a pair of intriguing new characters, and great actors to play them: Harold Perrineau as a terrifying Oakland crime lord who's not exactly what you'd expect, and Jimmy Smits as a local pimp (or "companionator, as he calls himself) who befriends Jax's mother Gemma (Katey Sagal).

But the character work gets buried under an avalanche of plot, all of it designed to simultaneously get Jax and the Sons into trouble while also providing some kind of well-disguised escape hatch.

Last season, for instance, sunk the club into a quicksand mess involving a ruthless Colombian drug cartel, a stack of old letters written by Jax's late father, and the increasingly evil machinations of reigning club leader Clay (Ron Perlman). The year built and built towards the inevitable moment where Clay would have to either die or be banished for his misdeeds, where Jax would skip town over his disillusionment with the Sons, and where one or both of Opie and Juice (Theo Rossi) would also have to make a permanent exit from the series, given things done to or by them. Instead, at the last minute, the club's cartel contacts were revealed to be secret CIA double agents, who in one fell swoop were able to preserve Clay's life, force Jax to stay (and take over the club), spare Juice, etc.

The CIA revelation played not only like a cheat (there was no earthly way a viewer could have guessed that ahead of time), but an easy out for a show that wanted to create the sense of danger for its characters without having to actually get rid of anyone people cared about. (Clay murdered Opie's father Piney, so the body count wasn't zero, but Piney had always existed on the series' margins.)

That said, the CIA maneuver also landed the series in a potentially interesting place. Jax, who had spent the entire series trying to either reform or leave the club, was now trapped as both its leader and facilitator of a deal to transport guns and drugs for the cartel. Clay was alive but badly injured and removed from power (he's the new Piney, right down to the oxygen tubes he has to wear), and Gemma has also been marginalized now that Jax's lover Tara (Maggie Siff) is the new queen of the club.

The way the fourth season ended, coupled with a season-long misstep the year before where the Sons became pawns in a game involving IRA leadership in Belfast, significantly lowered my expectations for the series going forward. But I still held out hope that the way Sutter had reshuffled the board (even if he'd kept nearly all the pieces) might rejuvenate "Sons" a bit as it moves closer to its endgame. (Sutter has said he has seven seasons worth of stories to tell.)

But no matter who's in charge of the club, the problems are the same both for the bikers and the series: a never-ending string of violent encounters, legal hassles and mortal jeopardy where characters are placed in a tight box before being offered the chance to escape into a slightly bigger box, and then a bigger box than that, and so on. Even Clay's diminished role doesn't feel like it will last for very long.

Late in the season premiere, Jax gets what feels like the 17th piece of bad news he's had in the last day. He turns to Tara, stone-faced, and she asks unintentionally turning into a surrogate for viewers who may be weary of one plot twist after the next "Oh, God. Now what?"

Sutter has said that he never intended for "Sons" to be analyzed on the level of an HBO or AMC drama, and that his goal was to make a fun, pulpy, adrenaline-fueled show. And if you're not meant to think too hard about what's happening, then "Sons" largely succeeds at its goals, particularly given the performances, the direction (led by Emmy winner Paris Barclay) and Sutter and his writers' talent for crafting gut-wrenching individual moments. But if you ever held out hope for "Sons" to be more than that smarter and more consistent and not as married to overly-complicated plotting then the start of the fifth season suggests you will continue to be disappointed.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...P1rIi8p1sI0.99

vCash
    good find manram

LFLOL & LFFS after secretly glancing at the ***** forum
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    in defending sutter,he has to kill off the less interesting people on the show just to add some reality to the show does'nt he? I Sure hope when SOA ends,it ends better than oz did or the shield did!

vCash
    What show are you watching that the Sons aren't facing constant consequences to their actions? Everything they do has had a reaction as far as I've seen it.

Example one for this season; Tig runs down Niners in retaliation for Jax's lie about Opie shooting Clay and seemingly kills random girl. Random girl is actually a dangerous drug lord'd daughter and it costs Opie his life. And now Jax has to make the biggest decision of the show.. turn over a loyal Son (thereby making him the traitor to the club) or face Pope's wrath.

This has been as realistic as an entertaining television show can possibly be... sure there are some instances where it suspends belief, but that's because it fiction.

Some people over analyze and ruin a good show/movie. Why does everyone have to try and be so smart and point out what's wrong instead of enjoying what's right about this show (or any for that matter).
    Last edited by NCBoSoxfan21; 11-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    What show are you watching that the Sons aren't facing constant consequences to their actions? Everything they do has had a reaction as far as I've seen it.

Example one for this season; Tig runs down Niners in retaliation for Jax's lie about Opie shooting Clay and seemingly kills random girl. Random girl is actually a dangerous drug lord'd daughter and it costs Opie his life. And now Jax has to make the biggest decision of the show.. turn over a loyal Son (thereby making him the traitor to the club) or face Pope's wrath.

This has been as realistic as an entertaining television show can possibly be... sure there are some instances where it suspends belief, but that's because it fiction.

Some people over analyze and ruin a good show/movie. Why does everyone have to try and be so smart and point out what's wrong instead of enjoying what's right about this show (or any for that matter).

vCash
    Finale time!!!

vCash
    So pumped for tonight

vCash
    ‎"I'm sure the right thing will settle in,but if i get you in a room today i'll tear your GD head off VP!" Jax Teller

vCash
    only thing that pisses me off,we have to wait 9 months for a new episode!

vCash

vCash
    That was nasty.

vCash
    Wow!!!!!

vCash
    I knew he wasn't going to let it happen...just had a feeling. He's always scheming haha

vCash
    From the previews, you had to assume it wasn't going to happen.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast