Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

building my first computer

Hey all,

So I'm looking to take a crack at building my first computer. I know a little bit about computer hardware and software but still could use all the help I can get. Anyone have any tips/suggestions for me before I start buying all the parts etc. what kind of build do you currently have and how does it perform? I mainly wanna use the computer for solidworks and gaming. Any info is greatly appreciated.

props to VCU for the sig!

vCash
    I guess first question I should as is what types of games will you be playing on it and what's your budget?

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash

Mainly Starcraft 2/diablo 3 which aren't that hard to run. But I am planning on getting guild wars 2 and would like I be able to run that as efficiently as possible.

vCash

Budget is prob around 700-1000

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    Budget is prob around 700-1000
    Get an I5 2500k, GTX 570, 600w+ PSU, and fill in the blanks (motherboard, HDD, case, etc.....)

Use this guide to fill in the blanks

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...uide/Guide.png

vCash

vCash
    Nice build actually. The only thing I would tell ya to do as soon as you have some extra money is get a 1-2tb HDD. That 60gb SSD will fill up fairly fast as your primary drive. Also look for a fairly cheap DVD drive so you can install an OS

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    Get an I5 2500k, GTX 570, 600w+ PSU, and fill in the blanks (motherboard, HDD, case, etc.....)

Use this guide to fill in the blanks

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...uide/Guide.png
    I would go with the outstanding build personally but I am a tech junky.

vCash
    I would probably drop the SSD, increase RAM, and get either a 1TB or 2TB WD Black.

if you're not a hardcore gamer the SSD isn't a priority, if you're not too particular you won't even notice the difference, all else equal.

I would also look into dual GFX's, but you can't go wrong with the 560.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    I would probably drop the SSD, increase RAM, and get either a 1TB or 2TB WD Black.

if you're not a hardcore gamer the SSD isn't a priority, if you're not too particular you won't even notice the difference, all else equal.

The boot time increase is noticeable.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    This is why Im getting the SSD Im not going to leave my computer on 24/7. I already have 250GB HDD going to get 500GB later when I get money, I would get dual but I dont know if I have enough space plus I dont have the money.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    SSD is 100% optional and should only be used if you have money to burn for something that is new and while good, very costly.

Spend the SSD money on a better GFX card, thats the main driver of any gaming PC. Just dont get a lower end CPU and a higher end gfx card or else you'll bottleneck. That just means it'll run like ****.

vCash
    I have antec solo case would that work for my build? It NOT Antec SOLO II just Antec Solo, It has 1 120mm Fan on the rear and 2 40mm fan on the front where hard drives port are.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    This is why Im getting the SSD Im not going to leave my computer on 24/7. I already have 250GB HDD going to get 500GB later when I get money, I would get dual but I dont know if I have enough space plus I dont have the money.
    Is boot time really that important though?

Plus you said you're mainly running SC2 and Diablo 3, you don't need an SSD to run max settings for both games.

You'll be surprised how fast HDD space runs out. I have a 1TB and I can barely fit enough stuff (games, software, movies, music) in that I am considering getting another 1TB storage.

if you have money to burn for an SSD use it for more memory, 4GB is definitely not cutting it these days, or increased storage.

vCash
    Is boot time really that important though?

Plus you said you're mainly running SC2 and Diablo 3, you don't need an SSD to run max settings for both games.

You'll be surprised how fast HDD space runs out. I have a 1TB and I can barely fit enough stuff (games, software, movies, music) in that I am considering getting another 1TB storage.

if you have money to burn for an SSD use it for more memory, 4GB is definitely not cutting it these days, or increased storage.
    SSD has nothing to do with max settings but they will run better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast