Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

THN's NYI prediction for 2012-13

Eastern: 15th – New York Islanders

Why
    : Eventually this team is going to take a step forward and it’s probably going to come out of nowhere to surprise everyone. That’s the general feeling around this team and though a few THN staffers feel the Isles are on the cusp of moving on up, it always comes back to the fact they’re stuck in the difficult Atlantic Division. The Islanders will be hard-pressed to move out of the No. 5 spot in that grouping, which immediately puts them at a disadvantage. Goaltending is still a concern with or, more likely, without Rick DiPietro, though John Tavares is on track to superstardom.
    thehockeynews.com

vCash
    I saw this the other day, forgot to post about it. But yea I don't think we're finishing last in the conference but I understand why they'd predict that.
    SPACE

vCash
    Unless boyes returns to 40goal form...
    No real arguement against it

vCash
    I said this during my standings prediction thread, and a few others times. Every single team in the league could make the playoffs this season except Columbus. The league has gotten so much stronger. I could see the Islanders making the playoffs. I could also see the Islanders as high as the 7th seed.

vCash
    ^ray:

Its what everyones been sayign all along. Eventually this team will take a big step forward and come out fo nowhere and be a legit playoff team. It could be this year, it could be next, it might not be. We'll have to see, like you said though, I think the East especially is very deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    At least our division got weaker

vCash
    ^rangers got nash
    philly is still tough
    pens will be going into the season with crosby this time
    devils lost parise
    wouldnt really say the division is weaker

vCash
    Devils got a good amount weaker... We have a better chance to finish 4th than any tiem in the last 10+ years.

Devils lost Parise who's a star player and Sykora who scored 20+ goals last year, that's a lot of O they lost. They didnt upgrade on D, just got older (Salvador, Tallinder and Zidlicky could all take steps back), and Brodeur is now 40 and just hasnt been very good the last 2 regular seasons. Brodeur/Hedberg Combo is prob bottom 5 in the East (Panthers, isles, Sens, Lightning, Devils, Caps, and Jets are 6 worst, all of upside though)

Devs are gonna have tough time getting a high seed this year. They floated around the 7th and 8th spot all fo last year til they went on a run the last 4-6 weeks where they cemented themselves as a 6th seed and contender. I cant see them having an easy tiem at all this year.

And the Pens lost Staal and Michalek, The Flyers lost Jagr and JVR, And the Rangers are the ebst team in the NHL.

All 3 of those middle teams got worse, maybe just slightly but they did lose talaent on paper. Isles and Rangers are the only 2 teams that definitely improved, nce again maybe just a little but still.

vCash
    I really like what you guys have been doing this off-season. Boyes I think can bounce back a little bit and have a 40+ point season with you guys. I also like the addition of Lubomir Visnovsky if he does indeed stay with you guys. I could definitely see the Islanders surprising people and being a borderline playoff team.

Add in the fact that you'll most likely have Ryan Strome, Griffin Reinhart, Calvin de Haan, and further development from John Tavares, Travis Hamonic, Nino Neidereiter, Kyle Okposo, and a few others and this team is looking really solid for the future. I love what I've seen from Strome and Reinhart, and I've heard de Haan was beasting in the OHL. One thing is for certain about this year, I'll be buying my John Tavares jersey shirt.

vCash
    Pretty much our season is dependent on JT staying JT, boyes eing a 50+pts player, one of bailey/KO stepping up, grabs being his 30+goal form, and de Haan or Donovan to be better than expected

vCash
    ^ I dont think Boyes is a big factor at all. if he plays well, he replaces PAP, if he doesnt, well then we need to hope to get improvement throughout the WHOLE season from bails, KO, and Grabs.

I still think our #1 thing is goaltending and 2nd is defense, whether its hopeing for bouncebacks from Vis and Streit or hoping for a great rookie season from a guy like De Haan r Donovan

vCash
    ^ Mhm, with a healthy DP and Nabby we could have quite the tandem, but DP will prob get hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    ^ I dont think Boyes is a big factor at all. if he plays well, he replaces PAP, if he doesnt, well then we need to hope to get improvement throughout the WHOLE season from bails, KO, and Grabs.

I still think our #1 thing is goaltending and 2nd is defense, whether its hopeing for bouncebacks from Vis and Streit or hoping for a great rookie season from a guy like De Haan r Donovan
    Weren't you the one fighting tooth and nail that Boyes would be better and more valuable than PA?
    SPACE

vCash
    ^I dont think I ever argued that. I think certainly Boyes can be a goal scoring upgrade and total points as well if he plays with JT, but considering were losing a 67 point player too, the addiitonal offense from PA to Boyes, or maybe slightly less O, is not a huge factor

vCash
    You definitely said that Boyes would be more valuable than PA, but it's whatever
    SPACE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast