Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Manny Machado vs Starlin Castro

If you had to give one of these guys a 5 Year contract, which one would it be?
    Both are very young infielders who are gonna be superstars in their big league career

vCash
    Macado, but I wouldn't want the 5 year contract to start for another year.

Macado has quite a bit of developing left to do, but should end up being the better offensive player.

At this very point, Machado has a higher ceiling, and a lower floor.

Castro is more likely to have a good career, but I don't know that I see it as a hall of fame caliber career. While Macado I still think has A-Rod caliber potential.

It also depends if Castro learns to draw walks and hit for power, they are both so young it's hard to tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Macado, but I wouldn't want the 5 year contract to start for another year.

Macado has quite a bit of developing left to do, but should end up being the better offensive player.

At this very point, Machado has a higher ceiling, and a lower floor.

Castro is more likely to have a good career, but I don't know that I see it as a hall of fame caliber career. While Macado I still think has A-Rod caliber potential.

It also depends if Castro learns to draw walks and hit for power, they are both so young it's hard to tell.
    I'm not saying that you are right or wrong here. But you, me, and pretty much everybody on here knows that you will pretty much always pick anybody other than a Cub in situations like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'm not saying that you are right or wrong here. But you, me, and pretty much everybody on here knows that you will pretty much always pick anybody other than a Cub in situations like this.
    Even though Machado is clearly the superior player at this point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Even though Machado is clearly the superior player at this point?
    Like I said, he's neither right, or wrong. He's just very anti-Cub.

But yes, Machado is the better player at this point.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Like I said, he's neither right, or wrong. He's just very anti-Cub.

But yes, Machado is the better player at this point.
    there is a certain anti-cub to be expected from cards fans.. just like there is a certain anti card sentiment when it comes to cubs fans... and thats how it should be

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    What?

It has nothing to do with Castro being a Cub.

Machado is the better player....

And since 8/12/12 when that post was made, this has become much more clear. Machado > Castro

Believe it or not, I'm not anti-Cub at all. I'm pro-Cards, but not anti-Cubs. I married a Cub fan after all.

I believe Rizzo is going to be a great ball player, I believer Bryant is an amazing power hitting prospect. I think Baez has high risk written all over him.

None of that means anti-Cub. That's just how I see the Cubs.

You only see me post about how Baez has risk because you have over-rating fans posting about him. Yet, a superstar prospect in Bryant is sitting right there....and nobody talks about him. But you have fans with blinders on who over-rate players. Just because they are called out for being homers, doesn't make someone anti-Cub.

Start talking about good Cubs, and you'll hear positive posts about them. But all you see are Cubs fans talking about Baez being the best player since A-Rod came along....and they just aren't realistic.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 03-05-2014 at 11:35 PM.

vCash
    What?

And since 8/12/12 when that post was made, this has become much more clear. Machado > Castro

Believe it or not, I'm not anti-Cub at all. I'm pro-Cards, but not anti-Cubs. I married a Cub fan after all.

I believe Rizzo is going to be a great ball player, I believer Bryant is an amazing power hitting prospect. I think Baez has high risk written all over him.

You only see me post about how Baez has risk because you have over-rating fans posting about him. Yet, a superstar prospect in Bryant is sitting right there....and nobody talks about him. But you have fans with blinders on who over-rate players. Just because they are called out for being homers, doesn't make someone anti-Cub.

Start talking about good Cubs, and you'll hear positive posts about them. But all you see are Cubs fans talking about Baez being the best player since A-Rod came along....and they just aren't realistic.
    Come on... not just a little anti-cub? Really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Come on... not just a little anti-cub? Really.
    I don't hate the Cubs. I find them completely harmless, and I don't see them as any threat to the NL Central now, or any time soon, and not as much of a threat the last .....however many years (other than a few good years). As a Cards fan, they just aren't something to be worried about, so no reason to hate them.

I used to hate the Astros though (although I liked some players, like Oswalt and Berkman). And I am not a fan of the Brewers now (Morgan, Braun, etc). But I don't mind the Cubs. Until they are competitive, I have no reason to dislike them.

You have to realize, the Cards are pretty much the class of the NL Central. It isn't arrogance to say that either. They are.

Since 2000:
    The Cardinals have the second most wins in baseball (1274, second to the Yankees)

Next closest in the NL Central are the Reds with 1108 (18th)
    Pirates are 22nd, Brewers 23rd, Astros 24th, Cubs 29th.

The Cardinals have 60 post-season wins, with two World Championships and four pennants.

What else does the rest of the NL Central have?

Brewers have 5 post-season wins, Cubs have 6, Reds don't have any, Astros have 7 and won the NL once and the Pirates have three post-season wins.

And currently the Cardinals are the number one ranked team under 25, have a top 10 farm system and are projected to win the Central this year.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but maybe this will help you understand why I don't hate the Cubs. I'm very pro-Cardinals, but I don't hate the Cubs. They aren't threatening to me, they aren't prohibiting the Cardinals from repeating their success, so it's just a non-issue to me and many other Cardinals fans.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 03-06-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Grammar error

vCash

Outed as an anti-Cub fan. Any true Cub fan knows they'll all fall flat on their face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Outed as an anti-Cub fan. Any true Cub fan knows they'll all fall flat on their face.
    Until they leave the cubs.

vCash
    What?

I didn't notice this was an old thread until after I posted.

I agree that Machado is the better player right now.

I don't care one way or another, but you pretty much never say anything positive about the Cubs. It's actually quite opposite.

Your statements about Rizzo, and Bryant are the first positive comment that I'VE seen come from you. Clearly the reason you don't hear Cub fans clamoring about Bryant the way they do about Baez is because he was just drafted. Most Cub fans think that Baez is ready now, and want to see him up.

With Baez' strikeout to walk ratio, there is a pretty high risk there. Myself? I recognize it, but am hoping that he will be the exception, and not the rule.

The excitement level for Baez is pretty crazy, that's for sure. But as you already know, the Cubs forum is BY FAR the most active in all of sports on here. So you're gonna get a lot of optimism with our farm system. If the Cards had the following the Cubs had, I'm sure you'd see a lot more talk about Oscar and Wong on the MLB forum, and not just the Cards forum.

vCash
    I didn't notice this was an old thread until after I posted.

I agree that Machado is the better player right now.

I don't care one way or another, but you pretty much never say anything positive about the Cubs. It's actually quite opposite.
    Then let's hear talk about good Cubs, or not over-rated Cubs players by fans who are over-rating them.....then you'd hear positive talk

Your statements about Rizzo, and Bryant are the first positive comment that I'VE seen come from you. Clearly the reason you don't hear Cub fans clamoring about Bryant the way they do about Baez is because he was just drafted. Most Cub fans think that Baez is ready now, and want to see him up.
    I've talked about Rizzo quite a bit in the MLB section.

Bryant not much, but I thought he should have been the number one pick last year. I think he's very legit. But nobody talks about him. Maybe he is ignored for some reason.

The excitement level for Baez is pretty crazy, that's for sure. But as you already know, the Cubs forum is BY FAR the most active in all of sports on here.
    Check out the Lakers forum some time

vCash
    I'm biased, but let us not underestimate the hit tool and make the decision only on walk rates. I have a feeling that has a chance to happen.

I can get on board with Machado having more offensive upside, but I do believe Castro has the edge on defensive upside.

To answer the question, I'd give the contract to the safer guy, which is Castro.
    Last edited by RedHeadsRule; 08-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I'm biased, but let us not underestimate the hit tool and make the decision only on walk rates. I have a feeling that has a chance to happen.
    How about we look at OBP and Slugging then?

I am willing to bet Machado is a better hitter than Starlin in the future.

hit tool without walks isn't worth very much unless you can bat like over .330

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast