Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Buying a new laptop

And need some help since I don't know much about specs or anything like that. Not looking to spend more than $500. I'm not using it for any gaming, just for movies, music, schoolwork, etc.

I'm looking at these right now:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-...zg_bs_565108_3

2. http://www.amazon.com/U32U-ES21-Ultr...zg_bs_565108_8

3. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A53E-ES92...g_bs_565108_42

Any of these good for its price?
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    I'd go with the Dell with the i3 processor all day

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    That Dell is a steal for that price. I bought a Sony Vaio with a slightly more modern I3, 6GB, 500GB Ram, and a slightly faster core speed for $420 on tax free weekend. With a Blu Ray player that's a steal. The I5 processor is almost 200$ more. I'm not sure, but couldn't you sell that I3 and instal an I5 in there even if you really wanted to for maybe like a net cost of like $50-$60?

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Good luck removing and installing a processor on a laptop.

Anyways the Dell for sure out of those 3 but I am sure a better deal could be found.

I remember they had an Asus I5 15" for 470 before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    That Dell is a steal for that price. I bought a Sony Vaio with a slightly more modern I3, 6GB, 500GB Ram, and a slightly faster core speed for $420 on tax free weekend. With a Blu Ray player that's a steal. The I5 processor is almost 200$ more. I'm not sure, but couldn't you sell that I3 and instal an I5 in there even if you really wanted to for maybe like a net cost of like $50-$60?
    Is an i5 processor really necessary though? I'm only using it for movies, music, and school work really.

Anyone know how reliable Dell laptops are? I've read comments on other sites and a lot of people seem to dislike Dell. Heard many praises for Asus.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    DO NOT get the Dell, I have the same thing and I hate it. I had to have it fixed like 10 days after the return date expired (Dell customer service was pretty good though) but even then, you don't want a freaking machine to crap out a month or two after you bought it. They keyboard is pretty loud when typing also. And there is this little annoying *** noise, i think it is the hard drive whining or something.

I really want to sell mine and get something better. Probably and Asus next. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by *Superman*; 08-17-2012 at 05:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post
    DO NOT get the Dell, I have the same thing thing and I hate it. I had to have it fixed like 10 days after the return date expired (Dell customer service was pretty good though) but even then, you don't want a freaking machine to crap out a month or two after you bought it. They keyboard is pretty loud when typing also. And there is this little annoying *** noise, i think it is the hard drive whining or something.

I really want to sell mine and get something better. Probably and Asus next. Hope this helps.
    You had the same exact one I posted? I was leaning towards the Dell, mostly cause of the Blu Ray, but you're not the first I know to dislike their products.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    Dell laptops are notoriously bad. I'd avoid them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadStBullies View Post
    You had the same exact one I posted? I was leaning towards the Dell, mostly cause of the Blu Ray, but you're not the first I know to dislike their products.
    Same exact thing. Hell I'll sell you mine if you want it. I was recommended it so I bought it ( ) and thought it was a good value at the time(pretty much because of the Blu Ray player and it had good space), I think I paid 500 for mine.

There are a lot of little things about it that annoy me. If you aren't a really picky person and NEED the Blu Ray player in your laptop and are on a budget, I would say go for it unless you find a better deal/another company.

vCash
    I could live without the Blu Ray on my laptop. I barely watch movies on computers anyway. Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably look more into that lightweight $400 Asus. The thinness is a big plus for me.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    The 3rd Asus you listed seems like a safe bet. To be sure just go into a Best Buy or something and test it out before you order through Amazon, if that is what you're planning on doing.

vCash
    Yeah, that's definite for me. Wanted this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+1...&skuId=5660106

Too bad it's not available anywhere near me.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    I bought a $500 Lenovo based off of recommendations from PSD 2 years ago and I use it for school and a **** load of movie/show watching and I haven't had one issue with it yet.

knock on wood

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadStBullies View Post
    Yeah, that's definite for me. Wanted this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+1...&skuId=5660106

Too bad it's not available anywhere near me.
    It's funny I had a Vaio for like two weeks but returned it because it also had a whine noise that was annoying as ****. Kind of like this. But in the long run i think that beats the Dell I have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjINGudIi-s

I think a lot of Sony's have problems like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post
    It's funny I had a Vaio for like two weeks but returned it because it also had a whine noise that was annoying as ****. Kind of like this. But in the long run i think that beats the Dell I have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjINGudIi-s

I think a lot of Sony's have problems like that.
    My sister has had a Vaio for 2 years without any problems.

It's an E series laptop with i3 processor.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast