Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a TV

vCash

Buying a TV

Hello fellow PSDers. Me and Mrs Ewing are getting ready to purchase a new living room TV. As some of you might guess this TV will become my closest companion. This is a major decesion. I'm looking for size, durability, and clarifity (my last TV was 47in). I am not a gamer just and old fashion potatoe the how the TV works with games is not relevent to me.

I'd appreciate any TV buying advice you have.

Thanks in advance Ewing
    Last edited by ewing; 08-21-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: rules :)

vCash
    What is your price range? You could spend 300 to 10k.

vCash
    If you're looking for a bargain Vizio has some great TVs, but you'd have to research consumer reports and the like to figure out which one to go with. They aren't all great.

Samsung is my personal choice. You can get a solid 40 inch samsung LED for around $600-700 bucks. Or if you're bucks up you can ball out and get a more pricey Samsung. either way, can't go wrong with Samsung if you can shell out the $.

Like i said, if you're looking for a bargain, check out Vizio. stay far, far away from Insignia.

vCash
    How was the 47" ewing? Was it too big for the space you have? For such great size, you would need to see farther away to get the best results. I can't suggest a size yet until I know how much space you have. Since you really just use the TV just for TV exclusively, refresh rate might not really a concern for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash

Ewing

I'm always looking for a bargain but am not going to be cheap with my TV. I really haven't done any pricing yet but i am looking for 50 in or better and quality. My last TV was a plasma and the power board blew multiple times. I would also like avoid potential maintenance issues. I can actually get TVs whole sale through my work (pretty much anything but sony and the samsung SE series)

Thanks again

Ewing
    Last edited by ewing; 08-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by mikekhelxD View Post
    How was the 47" ewing? Was it too big for the space you have? For such great size, you would need to see farther away to get the best results. I can't suggest a size yet until I know how much space you have. Since you really just use the TV just for TV exclusively, refresh rate might not really a concern for you.

47" was just about the perfect size though i could go a little bigger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing:23395533
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekhelxD View Post

47" was just about the perfect size though i could go a little bigger
    Alright, i'll get back to you later with models.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Anything past a 52" I would go with Plasma although the Samsung UND series picture quality is AMAZING. I have a 60" LG Plasma in my living room and a 46" Samsung UND7000 in my bedroom and let's just say I watch TV on my samsung more than I do the LG.

I'm not sure where you would be shopping at for your new TV but do not rely on best buy or any places like that. I would stick to online or if you have a HHGregg around your area. They have tons of selections and most if not all are on displace for you to really evaluate which one you like best. I personally bought my Sammy from HHGregg.

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    I got my Sony 46" 3D LED 1080P 240 Hz at HHGregg last year. Knew the salesman and he got me a great deal. As a matter of fact, anyone I talked to at HHGregg all gave me the recommendation of Sony, and this was knowing that little to no commission would be made on their part. Love it, definitely money well spent.

Also just got a Sony 32" LCD from BestBuy for my fiancee. Also definitely money well spent.

I refuse to get anything other than Sony now. 5 years ago my family got a Sony 46" LCD and the thing still looks perfect all these years later.

On the other hand, I have had a Samsumg 32" LCD and had nothing but problems with it. It's the same way with any other Samsung products I get. It has turned me so off of the brand that I refuse to buy anything with their name on it. I would rather spend the extra money and get the better product.

vCash
    Also, HHGregg employees work on commission and will negotiate the price with you. Was able to get close to 300 knocked off my TV and extras.

vCash
    Samsung 55" LED.....you would leave Mrs Ewing for the TV if it came to that point.

Could wait 3 months for cyber monday......last year Best Buy had it online for 1K (not 3D, would be cheaper this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhaas74 View Post
    I got my Sony 46" 3D LED 1080P 240 Hz at HHGregg last year. Knew the salesman and he got me a great deal. As a matter of fact, anyone I talked to at HHGregg all gave me the recommendation of Sony, and this was knowing that little to no commission would be made on their part. Love it, definitely money well spent.

Also just got a Sony 32" LCD from BestBuy for my fiancee. Also definitely money well spent.

I refuse to get anything other than Sony now. 5 years ago my family got a Sony 46" LCD and the thing still looks perfect all these years later.

On the other hand, I have had a Samsumg 32" LCD and had nothing but problems with it. It's the same way with any other Samsung products I get. It has turned me so off of the brand that I refuse to buy anything with their name on it. I would rather spend the extra money and get the better product.
    The upper level Sammy's are definitely well worth it. I was trying to decide between the Sony 3D TV and The Samsung I have now (UND7000 series) and everyone in the store recommended I get the new Samsungs because the picture was AMAZING. I've had it about a year now or close to it and have no regrets.

In the end it came down to Sony and Samsung after asking about all of the brands

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeaTxRipZz View Post
    The upper level Sammy's are definitely well worth it. I was trying to decide between the Sony 3D TV and The Samsung I have now (UND7000 series) and everyone in the store recommended I get the new Samsungs because the picture was AMAZING. I've had it about a year now or close to it and have no regrets.

In the end it came down to Sony and Samsung after asking about all of the brands
    I've been recommended upper level Samsung too, but I have had such ****** lower level Samsung products that it has just made me refuse spending money on any of their products. On the other hand I have had many Sony products and never had a single problem with any of them. PS1, PS2, PS3, 3 TVs, Blu-Ray player, numerous DVD players. On the otherhand I have had a Samsung TV and phone and both of them had serious issues.

vCash
    I'm also in the market for a new TV. Anyone ever hear of Hiteker or TCL? They're pretty cheap on Amazon. Also, would you guys recommend getting an extended warranty on any LCD or LED TVs?
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    Got a great deal on my 55" Sony LCD a few months back... I wanna say I paid only like $700ish.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 7-8
    Warriors = 23-3 Making it rain!
    A's =
    WINNING!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast