Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

NFL could amend review rule

The last time a major officiating error wrongly awarded a team a touchdown in a close game on national television, the NFL acted swiftly. Now the NFL may act swiftly again.

When the replacement officials gave the Seahawks a bogus touchdown to beat the Packers in Week Three, the NFL responded by ending the referees’ lockout. On Thanksgiving, the regular officials (who looked a lot like the replacements) gave the Texans a bogus touchdown against the Lions, and the NFL may respond by changing the rule that prevented that touchdown from being reviewed and overturned.

NFL executive V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson told Mike Florio on the Dan Patrick Show that the league could review the rule that says the referee will not review a scoring play if a coach throws his challenge flag. Anderson said it’s even possible that the rule could be changed during the season, instead of waiting until after the season.

“I think there’s some sentiment, Mike, that that may be too harsh,” Anderson said. “To not be able to review in those circumstances may be harsh, because at the end of the day the review process is intended to get it right.”

This is a rule that needs to be changed: Although Lions coach Jim Schwartz was foolish to throw his red flag on the Texans’ bogus touchdown, because the rules state that all scoring plays are automatically reviewed, it’s even more foolish that the NFL punishes coaches who ask for a review by taking away the very review they asked for. The sooner the NFL gets rid of this ridiculous rule, the better.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...during-season/

It really should only be a 15 yard penalty with no affect on the review.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Agreed

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    I wasn't even aware of this rule. That's ****ing stupid.

vCash
    Seriously, this might be one of the dumbest rules the NFL ever instituted. I can't think of anything that even comes close

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    Seriously, this might be one of the dumbest rules the NFL ever instituted. I can't think of anything that even comes close
    Maybe the other won the ****ed the Lions too

AAL: #FreeStafford

vCash
    Damn rigged NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Maybe the other won the ****ed the Lions too
    I want to respond, but I don't understand what you're saying

vCash
    i could live with a 15 yard penalty or have the team use their review on it and if they are wrong they have no chance to earn a 3rd review and they lose a time out

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    Lions got screwed by a lousy rule and a coach doing the wrong thing, reacting rather than thinking.

I guess the obvious question is, will they address it during the season, amend it now, or wait until after the season?

EVERY scoring play needs to be reviewed, that rule, in my view, needs to supersede all others.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    i have the easiest solution! just take away the challenge flags and review everything like they do in college. thats the only acceptable idea if their goal is to get the calls right.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    i could live with a 15 yard penalty or have the team use their review on it and if they are wrong they have no chance to earn a 3rd review and they lose a time out
    I think this is perfect. If the NFL really wants to drive the point home, they could even take away a challenge whether it's right or wrong but to not even allow the play to be reviewed is asinine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    I want to respond, but I don't understand what you're saying
    The Calvin Johnson game winning TD that was called not a TD because a dumb rule then was changed the next year...

AAL: #FreeStafford

vCash
    It needs to be fixed, but how hard is it to not throw the flag? You know it's going to get reviewed. It just happened last week in the Cardinals-Falcons game.

vCash
    it looks like the coach had a case of premature flag ejection
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    i have the easiest solution! just take away the challenge flags and review everything like they do in college. thats the only acceptable idea if their goal is to get the calls right.
    I think it's dumb that challenges are only limited to 2 (or 3 if you get them both right) to begin with. So if the refs mess up 4 times or there just happens to not be a good enough camera angle to overturn you're just out of luck? Dumb. I agree all reviews should just come from the refs with no limit on the amount.

Like in the Det/GB week 17 game last year. The refs made the wrong call on a Detroit fumble and the Lions had to waste a challenge to get the call overturned. The next quarter Titus Young scored a TD that was called incomplete but the Lions couldn't challenge because they had to waste a challenge because of the ref's mistake on the previous play. Why should a team essentially be punished for having to previously overturn an incorrect call by the refs? Makes no sense. The NFL is ********.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 11-23-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast