Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Where do we rank?

Alright, so we have seen some big moves this off-season from ourselves and others. Since this is a "super star" league...quite a few folks have automatically dubbed a Lakers (Nash/Kobe/Dwight) and Heat (Lebron/Dwayne/Bosh) finals without ANY hesitation or second thoughts.

The west is quite a hell hole...OKC/Lakers/Spurs/Clippers/Grizzles/Utah/Dallas and up and comers Golden State/Minnesota/Houston.....man what a powerhouse conference we have.

So where do we rank in all of this? The average fan has us at 5th (behind LA/OKC/Spurs/Clippers) some have us at 7th...some may even think we don't even make the play-offs.

Now, when I look at our team...I think it's the most interesting team in the NBA. We're not looked at as contenders (as evidence to whatever crap Klis at the Denver post is spewing out) but we're not looked at as bottom dwellers....but we have the talent, potential, and youth to be contenders while also having the inexperience, streakiness, and lack of "superstars" to miss the play-offs entirely.

So it's no wonder a betting person would take the safe route with this team. You don't know what the heck to expect from them. We are EASILY the wildcard team of the West.

With each day passing by..I keep looking at the roster and comparing it to the other "elites" and I keep saying to myself..."We can beat them in a series" and I say it with a straight face everyday.

What's the biggest question to us?? It's not the lack of a superstar...no matter how much people want to say it is...

It's defense. We haven't been a good defensive squad in who knows how long but it sure isn't recent.

If we play good defense (lets say 10-13ish in DRtg) we're top 3 team in the West...no doubt in my mind...but here's the thing we have ALL the pieces to play good defense. So it's not just wishful thinking when saying "if we play good defense" quite frankly I'm willing to stretch it saying we SHOULD play good defense.

This is where Karl comes in. He's been stressing for years about defense but we have yet to see anything out of it except a bunch of BS. So a complete purge happened...this FO took away the headcases..took away the chuckers..and brought in younger athletic (while still being talented) kids that can be molded. So now..it's Karl's job to get them to buy into it. No excuses now..the drama is all gone.

Before I turn this into a Karl bashing thread, lol...what do you guys think? Where would you think we are ranked?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    The average fan has us at 5th (behind LA/OKC/Spurs/Clippers)...
    ---------
    If we play good defense (lets say 10-13ish in DRtg) we're top 3 team in the West...no doubt in my mind...
    I agree with these thoughts.

vCash
    The Clippers are over-rated. When it comes down to it their only option with the game on the line is CP3. Griffin is useless at creating his shot, playing in the post or driving. Defend their PnR and they crap them selves. They don't have good wing play. All they can do is dunk. Which is pretty much useless in the half court offense against any decent team. They aren't particularly great defensively, certainly not with out Kenyon Martin. Denver can match them athletically, and has better wing play with Iggy and Chandler/Gallo.

Denver is the 4th best team in the west. The Griffin/CP3 hype has people's perception skewed. People say they have great depth with guys like Billups and Hill. But both of those guys are way past their primes.

And most of all they have Vinny Del Negro in charge, that is -5 wins right there.

vCash
    In the nba forum thread about us a while ago a LOT of people had us at 3-4 actually, and most said we were a darkhorse who could surprise, but its pretty simple, uneducated NBA fans who only pay attention to their own team and superstars think we are a 7 or lower seed, people who have payed attention think we can get homecourt advantage

If we get homecourt advantage I would be stoked, and I think we will definitely be in that 3-5 range

My most optimistic mindset right now is we sneak into the WCF and get to play the Lakers instead of OKC, we just match up so much better against the lakers

vCash
    And with Nash guarding Lawson...we would have the ultimate mismatch at all times...only problem is Dwight. He is MUCH more athletic and explosive than bynum and just as huge...not to mention Gasol is a ***** to handle due to his size alone.

vCash
    I think we're top 3-4. With Iggy in town I'll bet our defense will be down right scary! Iggy, who I consider the best on ball defender, along with chandler and brewer is a tough matchup. Then add Lawson and his speed and miller, who isn't great at defense, but his veteran savvy can get the job done, and our backcourt is pretty intimidating. Our front court is where the question marks are. Will McGee step his game up another notch this year? How will the Manimal progress? What about mosgov? I ethink we need to add another defensive big. He doesn't have to run the floor like McGee or Kenny, but we need someone who is intimidating in the middle. We can beat the lakers in small ball, but I don't know if we can handle them inside. We matchup really well against OKC so I don't consider them a problem unless durant puts in another 10-15 pounds and starts posting up more, which I doubt will ever happen. You never know what you're gonna get from the spurs. Sometimes they dominate with defense, sometimes they beat up on teams with offense, but I think with our speed and athleticism we can take them. Clips all we have to worry about is cp3...that's it.

titties

vCash
    And with Nash guarding Lawson...we would have the ultimate mismatch at all times...only problem is Dwight. He is MUCH more athletic and explosive than bynum and just as huge...not to mention Gasol is a ***** to handle due to his size alone.
    The one thing about dwight is, although he is a fantastic defender, the one area of defense where he isnt completely dominating is fastbreak defense, mcgee and faried can out run and outhustle him, thats one of the reasons why we match up so well against them imo, teams that rely on half court offense wont touch the paint against the lakers
    Last edited by IgglesFanInCO; 08-15-2012 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    There are 3 teams that I think are head and shoulders above everyone.

MIA
    OKC
    LAL

After that its pretty wide open, DEN with some luck and growth from Gallo & McGee could be right at that second tier level. 50-55 wins seems realistic.

vCash
    I think Denver is the 4th seed behind LAL, OKC and LAC. Don't underestimate the clippers...Jamal Crawford and Billups will be solid for them

#TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

vCash
    Honestly, I think we rank 3rd. Of course we would need McGee to develop but seems to be putting in the work and learning from the best. Gallo needs to be in the same form as he was early last season. Iguodala is obviously an upgrade. We also have Chandler this year. And Randolph has the length and athleticism to play good D against bigger PF.

I really do believe Nuggets have no weaknesses. If we thought the offense was impressive last year, Iguodala just made us even more athletic. And, like Brave Kid said, our defense should improve, markedly.

There are a couple of "if's" in my statements but not out of the question. Certainly, in terms of athletic ability, there is no other team that comes close to the Nuggets.

Ty - Speed
    Iggy - Athletic freak
    Gallo/Chandler - Both can hold their own
    Faried/Randolph - Freaks
    McGee - Super Freak.

And as far as seven footers, Mozgov and KK are both above average athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    The one thing about dwight is, although he is a fantastic defender, the one area of defense where he isnt completely dominating is fastbreak defense, mcgee and faried can out run and outhustle him, thats one of the reasons why we match up so well against them imo, teams that rely on half court offense wont touch the paint against the lakers
    Only problem with that is...they can make us play half-court offense. Teams that actually play defense can make a fast-break team into a half court team.

While it may be true McGee and Faried can out run Howard..Howard is still a much better matchup to keep up with them than Bynum. Bynum would lollygag down the court.

Nash is our best option to beat them in a series. There's no way in hell Nash can keep up with Ty or even guard him. Ty needs to take advantage of that and thus get the bigs in foul trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    There are 3 teams that I think are head and shoulders above everyone.

MIA
    OKC
    LAL

After that its pretty wide open, DEN with some luck and growth from Gallo & McGee could be right at that second tier level. 50-55 wins seems realistic.
    Thing is..I think we can beat those teams. Not saying we're on their level now...but with the amount of talent and potential we have...I think we can go toe to toe with each of them.

Just depends on our development though. This is where Karl comes in. Get this squad to actually buy into defense. Hold everybody accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by meloman1592 View Post
    I think Denver is the 4th seed behind LAL, OKC and LAC. Don't underestimate the clippers...Jamal Crawford and Billups will be solid for them
    That's right the elite floppers in Crawford and Big shot in a big time city....that's tough. They can shoot lights out as well. Will pose a problem.

vCash
    Clippers dont scare me at all......

Defensive matchups are great for us, Blake has no other offense than post ups, he is one dimensional offensively, and that dimension happens to be where Faried and McGee are beasts defensively

Put Iggy on CP3 and their best options are handled as best as they can be

vCash
    Thing is..I think we can beat those teams. Not saying we're on their level now...but with the amount of talent and potential we have...I think we can go toe to toe with each of them.

Just depends on our development though. This is where Karl comes in. Get this squad to actually buy into defense. Hold everybody accountable.

That's right the elite floppers in Crawford and Big shot in a big time city....that's tough. They can shoot lights out as well. Will pose a problem.
    Don't forget billups is a year older and is coming off of a major achilles injury. Crawford is very streaky and with no inside game he'll have to pretty much create for himself. Cp3 is the only real threat.

titties

vCash
    Only problem with that is...they can make us play half-court offense. Teams that actually play defense can make a fast-break team into a half court team.
    This is huge right here. Also, people really underestimate the importance of chemistry and experience. It does look like most everyone on the team is really focused this year, so hopefully we don't have to worry about that.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast