Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    subroc Guest

Does Cam Newton have million dollar ability with a two dollar head?

He was sulking during the game and Steve Smith (a team captain) berated him for not being in the game while on the sideline. This begs the question, does Cam Newton have what it takes to be an NFL QB? Some guys, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, etc. just don’t have the head for it whether it is leadership, the baptism by fire, dealing with the media, the weight of a franchise being on their shoulders, whatever it is some guy just don’t have it. This is not questioning his ability because I believe he is gifted beyond measure. Is Newton one of those guys or is it too early to tell?

Here is the article on NFL . com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...module=News_CP

Oh please so far he has been much better than all the guys mentioned above, but I agree he needs to grow up and show that he can be a leader. I know he was frustrated but you should use that as a motivation and show the team that everything's going to be better next time.

I can't stand teams that have QBs with bad leaders. His body language is terrible, time for a trade

our future

Too early to give up on him at such a young age. He definitely needs to work on his leadership skills, but that will come in time as he matures and if he has a willingness to evolve as a leader. Obviously his talent is through the roof and he had a monster statistical year last year, but he has to understand what it is going to take in terms of getting to the next level and has to understand that people are looking to him to lead. He's the face of the franchise and with that, comes a whole lot of responsibility. Guys look to him when times get tough, they need him to be that rock that won't break.
    Last edited by Lakersfan2483; 09-22-2012 at 03:42 AM.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

I am 100% against this. His leaderships skills are on point in my opinion. Did you see his face and body language after the game? He was disgusted with himself and didn't even want to talk about the game - he'd be embarrassed as a fan. Do you know how many excuses Cam can make? "I don't have support", "The coaches weren't prepared for the Giants on a shortened week." The list goes on and on. And guess what? Cam takes all the blame on himself because he realizes he is the face of the franchise and he stunk it up on national TV. To prove my point even more; Steve Smith backed Cam up on everything Cam was saying in the interviews. A veteran WR, previously one of the best in the entire NFL, is backing up a second year QB. Cam had his eyes shut during that entire interview and I was amazed by that. He truly wants to win so bad and will take full blame for it, and not blame his teammates or anyone for it. His leadership skills are great.

This is why I watch soccer.

oops wrong thread

I don't know what he'll end up being...but if he continues to be coached the way he is, he'll never develop as a quarterback. He looks like a college QB. His drops look awkward, his footwork is bad and there are too many of those "college" read option plays. If they use it on occasion...fine. It's a gimmick that can be very effective when a defense doesn't and it also causes a defense to have to gameplan for it, but they're gonna keep putting up those 6-10 seasons if that's their base offense. Granted...I haven't watched many Panthers games cuz I hate Newton, but of the 2 or 3 I've seen...that's what they do.

Too early to tell, but its not a good thing to see now, I'd have expected to see the sulking his rookie year. Kind of picked up on some bad attitude on his part during the post game presser too. He still has time to get better tho.

the problem with running quarterbacks is the will beat every bad defense out there, but they will never beat the great defenses. this is problem because running quarterback usually have a pretty good win/loss record, maybe even good enough to get to the playoffs, but once they are there they don't get to play many crappy defenses...so they lose.

this is a problem for management because it's hard to pull the plug on a guy making exciting plays, putting up big numbers, winning a decent amount of the time, and being fetured on sports center. the fans will kill you if you dump him....but you know you can never win with him.

running quarterbacks make a great back up QB ...a guy to get you through a few games while your real quarterback is hurt and resting up the playoffs.

This is ridiculous. Peyton Manning was infamous for blaming other early in his career when things went wrong and/or getting into it with teammates and nobody ever questioned his head.

Cam is a winner having to adjust to losing. His body language is poor from a leader, but it's the direct result of his extreme passion to win.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is ridiculous. Peyton Manning was infamous for blaming other early in his career when things went wrong and/or getting into it with teammates and nobody ever questioned his head.

Cam is a winner having to adjust to losing. His body language is poor from a leader, but it's the direct result of his extreme passion to win.
    yet he never will win, so they might as well start working with quarterback who might.

Once Cam becomes a better leader he will go down as one of the best. He has all the skill plus more. He just a baby. He will outgrow it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
    yet he never will win, so they might as well start working with quarterback who might.
    If his o-line and defense fail to show up every week than sure there's a great chance he won't win consistently, but that's every QB in the league though.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

lol @ ppl sayin panthers need to start looking for a new qb...
    cams a beast, its his 2nd year n he's just gonna get keep getting better. he played the sb champs on a short week, once he gains the leadership aspect of the game he'll be a top 5 qb in the nfl
    not many 6'6 qbs out there that can pass and run like this kid

I really don't like that Steve Smith publicly ripped him like that, but I do agree with him. Him sulking on the bench probably isn't the best thing to do, he should have at least been into the game a little bit. But he's a young, supremely talented quarterback that is showing all the signs of being a great player (his ability, drive, intelligence, etc.) so as a leader of the team he really shouldn't be publicly calling out his quarterback like that. Say something to him on the sidelines or in the locker room. Not to the media. He's correct in what he said, just not where he said it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast