Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

12 Yard Error Fuels Game Winning Drive

The NFL has been lucky, so far. No specific bad call by the replacement officials directly has resulted in a team losing a game that it should have won.

But there have been several calls that helped draw a dotted line to victory to a team that otherwise could have lost.

The most glaring mistake came on Sunday, when the replacement officials — aided by the non-replacement replay official and by a non-replacement league supervisor who is now in the booth — gave the Titans 12 extra yards on the opening drive of overtime, which resulted in the field goal that eventually won the game.

Peter King of SI.com explains what happened in Monday Morning Quarterback. The Titans had the ball on their 44. A pass from quarterback Jake Locker to tight end Craig Stevens resulted in a flag for unnecessary roughness on a hit from Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch. The officials also ruled that Stevens had caught the ball for a 24-yard gain, but on replay the call was overturned.

And when it was time to sort everything out, the officials marked off the penalty against Tulloch not from the Tennessee 44 — but from the Detroit 44.

The extra 12 yards gave the Titans a first down at the Detroit 29 instead of the 41. The Titans earned one more first down before the drive petered out, but there’s no way to know what would have happened if the Titans didn’t get the extra 12 yards.

The fact that the Lions had a chance to tie or win, which culminated in a curious decision that resulted in them doing neither, prevents the mistake from being the one that can easily be couched as a game-deciding blunder. The bigger problem is that the mistake happened even though the replay official and league supervisor are regular employees, not replacements.

So why the screw up? We suspect that everyone involved in game management is feeling a ton of pressure and stress, which can be the breeding ground for blunders.

Or maybe the locked-out officials are sufficiently skilled to make up for the incompetence of the replay official and/or the league supervisor.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...winning-drive/

Well overtime should have never happened anyway because Burleson clearly fumbled the ball before the Hail Mary

the titans won anyway, show were it could have been something bad, it really wasnt'
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power:23726797
    the titans won anyway, show were it could have been something bad, it really wasnt'
    Huh?

The Refs were absolutely horrible yesterday. All around the league.
    I just read this was only one of many screw ups.

Lions just have just got off to a slow start. Not about to put all the blame on refs. But we need the regular refs back asap. Literally every team should just throw the long ball. PI is going to get called 50% of the time.

Whatever, we lost and deserved to with how we played

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Huh?
    nevermind. i read it backwards as they took yards away from tennesse, not gave them extra ones
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

Detroit has reason to be upset, and the Burleson fumble or non-fumble has nothing to do with it.

There is a big difference in a clear rule ruling, and an interpretation ruling.

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez:23727060
    Detroit has reason to be upset, and the Burleson fumble or non-fumble has nothing to do with it.

And it should have been a catch by Stevens as well. The officiating was ****, but Tennessee was absolutely the better team yesterday and I don't think any reasonable Detroit fan would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post

Sure it does, the game was over, Schwartz blew his opportunity to steal it still and then went around and blamed his center for it

Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    And it should have been a catch by Stevens as well. The officiating was ****, but Tennessee was absolutely the better team yesterday and I don't think any reasonable Detroit fan would disagree.
    I thought they teams played equal, but no one is blaming the Lions loss on these 12 yards, nor should they. But that's not the story here. The story here is that the refs gave a team 12 freakin' yards because they're bozos.

Quote Originally Posted by jpro611 View Post
    Well overtime should have never happened anyway because Burleson clearly fumbled the ball before the Hail Mary
    Yes the Burleson play was debatable it was more close to a fumble than completion. But that's a missed call. The refs just didn't know the rules on this one.

#QWiNNING

Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    Yes the Tennessee special teams were better than ours. Idk how you can say Tennesse was absolutely the better team when we outplayed them offensively and defensively. Tennesse made the key plays that we didn't.

#QWiNNING

Makes up for the terrible reversal of the Craig Stevens "non-catch."

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

I always wonder if i'm the only one that think PI yard penality is TOTALLY nonsense. Sometime when it's for your team it's fun but a little PI on the guy and 20-25-30+ yard of penality WTF?!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast