Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Why Do Veterans Get Unquestioned Affirmative Action?

I'm just curious, why is it that veterans are eligible for all kinds of special perks, and no one questions it? In my experience, service people are as various in temperment and achievement as the general population from which they are recruited. And there are many others who play an equal or greater role in protecting our society such as police men, fire men, teachers, social workers, etc. Is it simply a relic of the military industrial complex, or do you believe they truly deserve special treatment?

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Problem isn't that they get too much respect. It's that we give too little to other public servants.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Problem isn't that they get too much respect. It's that we give too little to other public servants.
    So you believe that all "public servants" should get special treatment over the general population?

vCash
    This happens in many other areas as well. It happens with police and firemen in some areas. I work for the school system and you would be amazed at the perks that the teachers and principals (and their families) get from the city. People would be pissed....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    This happens in many other areas as well. It happens with police and firemen in some areas. I work for the school system and you would be amazed at the perks that the teachers and principals (and their families) get from the city. People would be pissed....
    I agree that people would be pissed if they thought teachers got perks. I get the sentiment though, that no one is at all upset about veterans getting perks. And I'm curious why this is.

vCash
    To answer your question in the title, I'd say it's because Americans have had it drilled into their heads since a very young age about how important and deserving of respect the people in the military are. Now, whether or not they actually do deserve it is for another discussion entirely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    To answer your question in the title, I'd say it's because Americans have had it drilled into their heads since a very young age about how important and deserving of respect the people in the military are. Now, whether or not they actually do deserve it is for another discussion entirely.
    My questions is then, why is it that it's drilled in to their heads that vets are more deserving of respect than others who serve similarly important roles. This is a separate question entirely than whether or not they deserve special treatment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Daddy View Post
    My questions is then, why is it that it's drilled in to their heads that vets are more deserving of respect than others who serve similarly important roles. This is a separate question entirely than whether or not they deserve special treatment.
    Why? I'd say it's largely due to propaganda from back in the day.

vCash
    *edit, nevermind*
    Last edited by Angry Norwegian; 08-11-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: raggle

vCash
    Because they fought in a war.

eta: And firemen and policemen get lots of respect as well.
    Last edited by gcoll; 08-11-2012 at 03:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post

Not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    It depends on what is considered special treatment. I find a lot of things people are upset about are things that were standard for everyone in the 1980's. If you are talking about work ethics, that is an entire other discussion.

Not all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash

1. That's not true of many veterans.
    2. They sign up to fight and get paid to do so.
    3. Is using violence to protect American political and economic interests in foreign countries worth special treatment?

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    3. Is using violence to protect American political and economic interests in foreign countries worth special treatment?
    1. but they are signing up for just that possibility.
    2. Oh yeah and they are paid like kings.
    3. Our politicians use the violence not them. They are the tool not the user of the tool. By extension you are the user of the tool as you elect the government.

The answer to your earlier question... Yes I think people who sacrifice personal achievement and personal wealth in order to have a positive impact on society deserve more respect. I respect them more. You don't have to.

The sports analogy is the difference between (all else being equal) the superstar who is loyal to their team, and takes less to play in order that the team can achieve success is respected more than the player who just signs with the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    1) I thought "veteran" meant "fought in a war." If it just means "was a member of the military" then the point still sort of stands. If a war breaks out, members of the military fight it, instead of me. That willingness to sacrifice their own personal safety, gets respect. It's the same reason that firemen and policemen also get respect. It's why during a disaster, when stories start coming out about what happened....the people who are called "heroes" are the ones who put themselves at risk to help others.

2) They volunteer....exactly. They volunteer to possibly go to Hell. The pay? The pay is not much.

3) Yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    1. but they are signing up for just that possibility.
    2. Oh yeah and they are paid like kings.
    3. Our politicians use the violence not them. They are the tool not the user of the tool. By extension you are the user of the tool as you elect the government.

The answer to your earlier question... Yes I think people who sacrifice personal achievement and personal wealth in order to have a positive impact on society deserve more respect. I respect them more. You don't have to.

The sports analogy is the difference between (all else being equal) the superstar who is loyal to their team, and takes less to play in order that the team can achieve success is respected more than the T who just signs with the highest bidder.
    Right, we've already covered that they sign up knowing that they may be involved in a war. But as we've already also covered, they're making a conscious decision to do so and get money and perks in return. Sure, they don't get paid very well but it is a good economic opportunity for the large portion of the military which are members of the lower class and can not afford to go to college.

No, the people on the ground are the ones using the actual violence. They're the ones pulling the trigger and they make a conscious decision to do so when they sign up for the army.

If you feel those who "sacrifice personal achievement and personal wealth in order to have a positive impact on society deserve more respect" that's fine. Then why don't other people who take on low income jobs such as teachers in violent school districts also get similar perks? Military members are hardly the only ones who make sacrifices for the better of society.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast