Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    I'm not ready to say he won't be as good as Staal. I think Staal has slipped with his defensive game the past couple years and he's never been good offensively. McIlrath is still incredibly young. He hasn't even played 40 games in the AHL. Remember, his game is much better in a league like the AHL and NHL. In junior, he just destroys these 170 wimps and they feel sorry for him and suspend him for any big hit. In the AHL or NHL, nobody is going to feel sorry a 200 to 220 pound guy if McIlrath lays him out with a huge hit.
    I don't think you can really say Staal slipped the last couple years, he had a limited season last year and to be honest he seemed to be the only one in the playoffs able to carry the puck out of our own end. Staal is still an excellent defenseman and we'll benefit from having him around for the whole year next year, hopefully Sauer is able to play as well. The problem with saying McIlrath is destroying junior players is that he's a man among kids and while he's pushing kids around, things will be different when he's playing against men. I do think McIlrath is gonna be a good player for us but expecting him to be as good as Staal is a little too high of an expectation, I'd be happy if he could be a physical shutdown guy that could play anywhere in the bottom 4 d. I'd really like to see Girardi and Staal back together next year, with McDonagh and DelZotto together.

vCash
    I'm big fan of Staal but even I have to admit he's overrated. Watching McDonagh and Girardi, you can clearly see that Staal isn't as good. Now maybe that is because he wasn't all the way back from that concussion. Who knows. I do know that I felt more comfortable with McDonagh and Girardi on the ice than Staal.
    Last edited by averymustgo; 08-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    I'm big fan of Staal but even I have to admit he's overrated. Watching McDonagh and Giardi, you can clearly see that Staal isn't as good. Now maybe that is because he wasn't all the way back from that concussion. Who knows. I do know that I felt more comfortable with McDonagh and Girardi on the ice than Staal.
    I thought that Staal looked better as the playoffs went on and in the Devils series he seemed to be the only one that could effectively get the puck out of our own end consistantly. I do think the concussion affected his play a ton last year but as I said I thought he looked better and better as the playoffs went on. It's just too bad the rest of our D were dog tired and we didn't have a third pairing to play. McDonagh and Girardi were spent. I think we have a good thing here with our D, just need another one and to get Sauer back, hopefully McIlrath can be that guy sooner than later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I thought that Staal looked better as the playoffs went on and in the Devils series he seemed to be the only one that could effectively get the puck out of our own end consistantly. I do think the concussion affected his play a ton last year but as I said I thought he looked better and better as the playoffs went on. It's just too bad the rest of our D were dog tired and we didn't have a third pairing to play. McDonagh and Girardi were spent. I think we have a good thing here with our D, just need another one and to get Sauer back, hopefully McIlrath can be that guy sooner than later.
    +1

Staal appeared much better in the playoffs. IMO though, his name is more impressive than his play with his skill level a distant 3rd when compared to his brothers.

vCash
    I wouldn't count on Sauer, I think its highly unlikely he ever suits up again. They still need another FA dman who can shoot like Foster/Campoli. Bickel should not be getting big minutes, he's barely above an AHL level. I don't why they're penciling him in as a 5th/6th guy.

vCash
    I definitely think Sauer will be back. He's young. He can come back from this. These deals take a long time for some players.

vCash
    Dmac was drafted as a project. A lot of big guys get their skating questioned. Dmac had some questions about his skating before the draft. Since then I have heard many positive reports about how much his skating has improved especially in the last season. He has good speed for a guy his size. I have spoken to a guy that is probably the WHL expert on hockey boards. He has raved about Dmac. I think Dmac is going to be a force for the Rangers. My only concern has been his multiple knee/leg injuries.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    He tends to take huge runs at forwards, when they see him at the last minute it results in leg on leg deals. I have never had any doubts about McIlrath. He's a lot better prospect than Thomas. Honestly, it's not even close.
    Ignoring the locals is good

vCash
    St. Croix got his ELC, just wanted to let you guys know

vCash
    Wow! Don't believe I missed this forum, must of been on vacation. My pick for biggest bust/over rated prospect is Bourque. As far as the side discussion. McDonagh was/has been as good as advertised( when we got him, it was considered a steal--he was that good). Staal hasn't been as good as before his concussion but his play has gotten progressively better(once fully healthy, he'll be as good as before). Staal is a defensive defenseman, nobody said he was the next Leetch( offensive) or Buekeboom(physical). He plays a responsible defense and Will throw a good hit or 2 in every game. But more importantly is that being paired with MDZ, allows MDZ to pinch and jump in on plays with Staal covering up any mistakes. Ido think that McIlrath is nasty enough to be the next Buekeboom for us---he'll fillout and get bigger ( you can't teach size). Sauer will be back, all reports say he's progressing. With This lockout going on, it's allowing Sauer more time to heal as well as helping us evaluate our talent.

vCash
    Bourque

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123