Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who's the Captain?

I know Pronger is attempting a comeback, but I am not holding my breath. So assuming Pronger isnt coming back, who should the Flyers name Captain? It seems like each guy has +/-'s.

Giroux. He is definately the focal point of the team, but he is still young and still developing his game. To me I would rather wait to give him the C and let him focus on playing hockey.

Timonen. He was Captain in Nashville, and he isnt afraid to speak his mind. But he is only signed for 1 more year, and is nearing retirement.

Briere. He was Captain in Buffalo, but he has been known to disapear during the regular season. Is that a message you want to send to the team?

Talbot. He is a great motivator and lockerroom guy, but he plays limited minutes and isn't a guy that can put the team on his shoulders to "carry" them with outstanding play.

Hartnell. Another great lockerroom guy, plays the right amount of minutes, and also takes a lot of the heat off the team by dealing with the media. But he is only signed to 1 more year.

So who do you think should be captain?
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    I would say Timonen. I think he plays this year than they maybe bring him back for another year(although I think he is gonna retire). I don't want to risk messing with Giroux's head by giving him the C to soon. I think he'd be fine and be a great captain but after seeing what happened to Richie I just don't even want to risk it, so let Kimmo have it for a year or two and ease Giroux into it

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    I would like to see someone of Talbot's caliber get the C....I don't think minutes and carrying the team on your shoulders should be the only factors of what makes a good captain...Talbot can go out there and set the tone for the team....he's a guy who has been in the league and should have some report with the referees....he's a responsible player at both ends of the ice....He comes in and does his job game in and game out without an "off" night....That's the kind of guy you want as your Captain.

vCash
    It's Giroux. It shouldn't even be up for debate.

Which player on the Flyers demanded in Game 6 he start? Which player went out, smashed Crosby in the mouth and then scored a goal in the first minute to completely set the tone? It's Claude Giroux. Whether or not you put the C on his chest the team obviously recognizes him as the captain. Might as well just give him the damn C and save the confusion.

Timonen wont be here after this year, more than likely, so I'd like to stop the revolving door of captains. Talbot is a nice player and a nice guy and all, but is he the guy the players want to follow into the game? I think Giroux proved it's him the players want to follow last year.

Giroux is your captain.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I think you roll with three associate captains until a) Pronger retires or b) management thinks Giroux is ready to be the captain for the long haul. Since Lindros was traded, the Flyers have had 7 captains in 12 years, with only two guys (Primeau and Richards) holding the captaincy for more than 1 season. You cannot have that much turnover in leadership and expect consistent success. Just as a comparison, the Red Wings have only had 2 captains in the last 26 years! They've made the playoffs 21 straight seasons and have won 4 cups in that span. The Flyers have had 12 captains in the past 26 years, and only have four Finals appearances. I'm not saying that's the reason why the Flyers haven't won a cup, but it certainly hasn't helped.

All that being said, I think the three associates should be Briere, Giroux, and Timonen. If/when one of them gets hurt I think you give Hartnell an A for home games and Talbot an A for away games.
    Prepare to experience sexual magic.

vCash
    The C is extremely overrated in my mind, the only result that can happen is it messes with a players head, especially in Philly. There are many leaders on this team, doesn't matter who is wearing the C. All these guys are leaders so giving everyone the A might be a good idea

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    The C is extremely overrated in my mind, the only result that can happen is it messes with a players head, especially in Philly. There are many leaders on this team, doesn't matter who is wearing the C. All these guys are leaders so giving everyone the A might be a good idea
    The captain is not over-rated. It's not just about giving pep talks. The captain is the voice of the players to the coach and management, and the voice of management to the players. He speaks for the team to the media. He is the main interactor with the Refs. And when things start to go bad, its better to have all the players look to 1 guy instead of multiple guys that could be sending conflicting messages.

That being said, I want a veteran to have the C. Someone everyone can look up to and respect. I also want to be able to transition the C to whichever of our young players becomes "the man". Whether it is Giroux, Schenn, or Couts...

So to me Timonen is a good Choice at least for this year. If he does retire then Next year Briere. Then once these guys have 5-6 years under their belts I will give them the C.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smking619 View Post
    I think you roll with three associate captains until a) Pronger retires or b) management thinks Giroux is ready to be the captain for the long haul. Since Lindros was traded, the Flyers have had 7 captains in 12 years, with only two guys (Primeau and Richards) holding the captaincy for more than 1 season. You cannot have that much turnover in leadership and expect consistent success. Just as a comparison, the Red Wings have only had 2 captains in the last 26 years! They've made the playoffs 21 straight seasons and have won 4 cups in that span. The Flyers have had 12 captains in the past 26 years, and only have four Finals appearances. I'm not saying that's the reason why the Flyers haven't won a cup, but it certainly hasn't helped.

All that being said, I think the three associates should be Briere, Giroux, and Timonen. If/when one of them gets hurt I think you give Hartnell an A for home games and Talbot an A for away games.

this. couldn't have said it any better.

Giroux should be the next captain of this team, but only when he's ready. if he thinks he's ready now, by all means. if not, you wait until he is.

it's not like this team doesn't have any leadership. if this was a young team with no vets, i'd be more inclined to name a captain now to get a definitive voice in there. that's not the case here.

give it to G when he's ready, whether it's this season or some point in the future.

vCash
    If i had it my way, Talbot.

Probably will be G, but I've always been fond of the "veteran-character-locker room- guy".

I.E.: Jason Smith

vCash
    I actually like a no-captain team for some reason

This is why I watch soccer.

vCash
    obviously Giroux if he, the players, and management think hes ready for that role. In the "behind the scenes" footage we were lucky to see this passed year, it does seem like he has a unanimous level of respect from all of his teammates

but if for some reason they dont want to put that weight on his shoulders...

I say Briere over Timonen. Mostly because the great chance Timonen might not be back in 2013/14

vCash
    i just think the revolving door at captain needs to stop with this team. it's time to stick with one guy, and to me that guy is G.

so if he's ready, give it to him now. if not, wait another year, go with all "A"s again, and see where G is at the end of the season.

vCash
    In my opinion, Claude Giroux is the captain of this team regardless of a piece of whether there is a piece of felt on his jersey or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    The captain is not over-rated. It's not just about giving pep talks. The captain is the voice of the players to the coach and management, and the voice of management to the players. He speaks for the team to the media. He is the main interactor with the Refs. And when things start to go bad, its better to have all the players look to 1 guy instead of multiple guys that could be sending conflicting messages.

That being said, I want a veteran to have the C. Someone everyone can look up to and respect. I also want to be able to transition the C to whichever of our young players becomes "the man". Whether it is Giroux, Schenn, or Couts...

So to me Timonen is a good Choice at least for this year. If he does retire then Next year Briere. Then once these guys have 5-6 years under their belts I will give them the C.
    The last time I heard this happening with the Flyers was when Richards was the captain. You don't need a C on your jersey to be the leader that people look to, and I'd hope that Timonen, Briere, Hartnell, Giroux etc all make sure they are on the same page at all times

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Shea Weber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast