Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

When will Sabermetrics take over?

I know they have among thinking fans, for the most part.

However there are still a lot of people who still use AVG and RBIs, W-L and ERA, even on here. To this point MLB network, ESPN etc do not use saber stats because people either don't understand them, or dont like them for whatever reason.

My question is, when do you think these stats will gain traction with normal fans enough to be shown on all stat sites, and on TV, both on recap/talk shows and during games?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I know they have among thinking fans, for the most part.

However there are still a lot of people who still use AVG and RBIs, W-L and ERA, even on here. To this point MLB network, ESPN etc do not use saber stats because people either don't understand them, or dont like them for whatever reason.

My question is, when do you think these stats will gain traction with normal fans enough to be shown on all stat sites, and on TV, both on recap/talk shows and during games?
    I doubt it ever happens. The casual fan wants stats that are easily explained and easily calculated. Even slugging percentage never caught on enough to get included when showing a player's stats during the game.

"And then Colin Cowherd said I was better than you."

vCash
    Some people are just traditionalist's, not wanting to let go of what they have used to value players their whole lives.

I'm kinda in that boat. While I dont question the validity of the advanced stats, I just prefer to look at the stats the way I always have. I'm not sure why.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    I understand that, and I was like that for a while. My post made me sound all high and mighty, but I was like you for a long time, and only recently starting look at saber stats more, and realized that they are the way to go.

Traditional stats just have too many flaws in them that when you compare players using them, it doesn't tell you everything. AVG is not as important as OBP in that the goal is getting on base.
    However, other stats such as wOBA have improved even more, so that while a walk does get you on base, it is not as valuable as a hit. This allows you to see which player is better at getting on base, while also factoring in how he got on and such.

And the best part of it is, they put it on the same scale as OBP. Saber stats are no more difficult to understand after you do a little research, and especially if they are on the same scale as an old school stat.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Never.. but OBP is not some sot of sabermetric stat... it's been around for eons. A walk to get on base is just as valuable as a single provided there isn't anyone on base yet. If you start having to convert or standardize scores it means less to the average fan

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Never said it was.

And a single is more valuable than a walk when calculating wOBA. Doesnt matter if someone is on or not.

Ok, when will it at least take over among writers, voters, and people involved in the game? I know it has for some, but most coaches are old school, same with writers that vote for awards.

vCash
    I don't think it'll ever take over completely, but people are starting to notice that the W/L stat (among others stats) aren't as important as they once were.

vCash
    Never said it was.

And a single is more valuable than a walk when calculating wOBA. Doesnt matter if someone is on or not.

Ok, when will it at least take over among writers, voters, and people involved in the game? I know it has for some, but most coaches are old school, same with writers that vote for awards.
    So that's a flaw in the calculation... no? This is the problem with the drive for more and more perfect stats when is the additional variance explained by the no longer significantly better at predicting success? It might be more acurate... but more accuracy is not necessarily adding anything to the equasion.
    Last edited by flips333; 08-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    So that's a flaw in the calculation... no? This is the problem with the drive for more and more perfect stats when is the additional variance explained by the no longer significantly better at predicting success? It might be more acurate... but more accuracy is not necessarily adding anything to the equasion.
    What? That didn't make a lot of sense.
    A single is more valuable than a hit, despite what Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill may tell you. If there is someone on, a single will help advanced them further than a walk.
    Walk<single<double<triple<home run.

I honestly don't know what you are asking.

vCash
    One more generation

My son won't be learning AVG, HR, RBI, W-L.

I think they will eventually diminish all together, but I think at least another decade before they are there are new mainstay stats

vCash
    What? That didn't make a lot of sense.
    A single is more valuable than a hit, despite what Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill may tell you. If there is someone on, a single will help advanced them further than a walk.
    Walk<single<double<triple<home run.

I honestly don't know what you are asking.
    Brad Pitt tells me things? A single with someone not on is the same as a walk... So sometimes a single= a walk. It's not hard to understand.

vCash
    Don't they use the average value for each play?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Brad Pitt tells me things? A single with someone not on is the same as a walk... So sometimes a single= a walk. It's not hard to understand.
    You really think that's a flaw? Putting the ball in play with runners on moves them. Putting it in play without anyone on causes the defense to make a play rather than just getting a free pass.
    Hit>walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenP View Post
    I doubt it ever happens. The casual fan wants stats that are easily explained and easily calculated. Even slugging percentage never caught on enough to get included when showing a player's stats during the game.
    at the astros game saturday they routinely showed OBP and SLG% in the batters' stats on the big board
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    Dont they also show WPA?

Best thing ever is that the Phillies dont even have OBP on the big screen. Had it last year, but NOPE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast