Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Foligno going to start in Rochester? WTF Darcy

According to Mike Ross from XM's Hockey Live. His sources told him that the Sabres will be adding a Center, but it may or may not be the caliber player we would be hoping for. Meaning, it could be a really good player, if a trade happens, or it could be someone like Arnott.

Going over the roster, he said that his sources, who are close to the team, informed him that McCormick will be out and Foligno, Ellis and Tropp start down in Rochester. He also explained that McCormick got his butt kicked late last year and he needed stitches above his eye. A month later, he got punched again and the cut opened back up. Ross' sources told him that, from where the cut is, it will never completely heal and it will open again if he gets punched. Therefore Scott will see a lot more action then what people think.

He said the #1 line, which will not fluctuate, as it did last year will be
    Vanek, Grigerenko, Pominville.
    #2 Stafford, Ennis, Ott
    #3 Gerbe, Hodgson, Leino
    #4 Kaleta, Adam, Scott.

He says his sources told him that Adam Definetly makes the team again this year, because if Hodgson or Ennis goes down in a game, the Sabres feel more comfortable having a natural Center in Adam moving up to the 2nd or 3rd line rather than having Leino, Ott or McCormick fill in. Also, Grigerenko gets his 10-game try out and succeeds while playing with smart players like Vanek and Pominville.

Gerbe and Leino are the players to watch out for. According to Ross, his people told him that Lindy made it absolutely clear to Darcy that if those two players show any signs of struggle in the beginning of the season, He will put Foligno and Tropp in immedietley. Ruff will not give his players time to work through things this year while playing.

As far as our defense, he explained that Rochester's Roster is full, just like the Sabres roster, so therefore they have no clue who will be in or out.

vCash
    Some very interesting things here. I thought Cody Hodgson would be starting the year in the top six.. which he very well should be. I thought you'd see Ville Leino back in the top six, on the wing. There's too much money invested for him to be anywhere else. Grigs going to be up for sure?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Some very interesting things here. I thought Cody Hodgson would be starting the year in the top six.. which he very well should be. I thought you'd see Ville Leino back in the top six, on the wing. There's too much money invested for him to be anywhere else. Grigs going to be up for sure?
    Hodgson and Leino dont deserve to be top 6. Remember, Vancouver drafted Hodgson in the first round, watched him develop and traded him away. That should speak volumes, especially in a league where teams are coveting that Center position so much. In the end, Ennis proved he deserves top 6 status more than Hodgson.

As for Leino, he definetly does not deserve to be in our top 6. Out of these left wingers, Vanek, Ott and Leino, does anyone really think Leino deserve to be in front of Vanek and Ott?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Hodgson and Leino dont deserve to be top 6. Remember, Vancouver drafted Hodgson in the first round, watched him develop and traded him away. That should speak volumes, especially in a league where teams are coveting that Center position so much. In the end, Ennis proved he deserves top 6 status more than Hodgson.

As for Leino, he definetly does not deserve to be in our top 6. Out of these left wingers, Vanek, Ott and Leino, does anyone really think Leino deserve to be in front of Vanek and Ott?
    Offensively speaking, Ville Leino is better than Steve Ott. Steve Ott's role is much better for a third line. Are you ready to just throw in the towel on Ville Leino? It was a bad contract right away, but now it just looks that much worse.

Cody Hodgson went through injury problems (serious ones) and was stuck behind Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler. None of your centers would be above those two either way. Cody's got a lot of potential, and his game is more ready than Grigs.

vCash
    Offensively speaking, Ville Leino is better than Steve Ott. Steve Ott's role is much better for a third line. Are you ready to just throw in the towel on Ville Leino? It was a bad contract right away, but now it just looks that much worse.

Cody Hodgson went through injury problems (serious ones) and was stuck behind Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler. None of your centers would be above those two either way. Cody's got a lot of potential, and his game is more ready than Grigs.
    I honestly think that Ruff and Darcy are ready to throw in the towel with Leino. Darcy signed him to be a center. 6-games into the season, Leino went to the media and stated that he hates playing center and feels more comfortable on the wing. During an interview with Paul Hamilton, Leino was then asked about the contract he signed to play center and Leino's reply was " To get the money I signed for, Ide tell them I would play goalie".

Now the real question is.. If Darcy knew Leino would not play center, does Darcy sign him last year? Remember, 4 years in the league only one good season. Does Darcy throw away 4.5 on his statistics?

vCash

Leino was signed for the playoffs. He does much better in the playoffs than the regular season. Unfortunately the Sabres missed the playoffs the year they signed him. Not having a consistent line/position, having the media questioning your contract and the fans pissed off on the way in isn't exactly easy either.

Sabres11 hates Hodgson, so that factors in a bit.

I'm questioning this source though, because all reports up until this one had been that it was more likely that Girg would play this year instead of Grig. I'd rather have both Girg and Grig up than have Adam play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Foligno thing was true though. He has great energy and had great chemistry with Ennis last year, but in a new year you have to give the vets another shot. In skills and fundamentals, he isn't a top 6 winger on the team. In terms of effort and energy he is probably number 1. He'll get there eventually.

I'd love to see Ennis Foligno and Gerbe play together, but Ennis and Gerbe are too small to play together.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Grigerenko wont get a 10-game tryout playing with 3rd or 4th line talent and playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. So he gets one of the top line spots.

Girgs will play the whole year in Rochester. For whoever said girgs looks better, they couldnt be more wrong. Girgs looked good, but in a rookie training camp, how can you even compare. Patrick Roy's son looked better than everyone, but he wont make the team.

Between Ennis and Hodgson. Last year, Ennis made things happen while Hodgson watched things happen. Hodgson playing with our best scorer in Vanek, couldnt score or take a pass. He was a much deserved -7player.

Ennis playing with rookie call-up Foligno, contributed in Foligno scoring 13-points in 14-games.