Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints Defense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    Yea Quddus did good too I thought 5 Tackles 2 were assists. It was a smart move an even smarter move start Harper Wilson Lofton an even smarter-er move play the FO FO.

Playing Roman at his strength closer to the line of scrimmage led to more tackles at the second level with Lofton having 9 and 3 assists and Roman having 9 solo.

This also made the D faster which I personally think will make us better and is our best shot at competing Spags is smart he obviousl is noticing this.

Quddus is way faster than Harper but Harper is better tackler and is likely our best tackler on the team behind Lofton. Toss in Gallette Hicks and Martez and this defense can shine.
    Lol... It was a Nickle and Dime packages bro! Harper just walked up to the line of scrimmage, like he has always done and like other SS/FS that have played this game!
    I officially now have a "Stephen" following me!

From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"
    "I'm gon get with ya every time u try to disrespect other Saints fans!"
    "I wish he opens his mouth!"
    "It's a new day Saints Forum!"

http://youtu.be/7AjWj91B7fo

Time Will Tell My Accuracy's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Lol... It was a Nickle and Dime packages bro! Harper just walked up to the line of scrimmage, like he has always done and like other SS/FS that have played this game!
    As I said a lot of posts ago with the personnel we have and the way we use them anyway and what they are good at the FO FO would be a good base D.

As I said before because of Harper's strength's this is why its in our best interest to play Harper closer to the los.

As I said before Nickel and Dime personnel can easily be ran out of the FO FO.

Thats just me and me putting a label on it.

As I said before say whatever you want but fact is we're playing Harper in da box with 3 other LBs at times. And as I said the FO FO advantage is that it can be done with Nickel and Dime personnel but maintaining the same look which keeps personnel even DBs in good tackling position thats why the FO FO is a good run defense.

But because of Harpers abilities we can run the FO FO like a pass/run hybrid defense because Harper is a SS/LB hybrid.

Toss in Wilson's speed being a LB/DE hybrid and the FOFO would work great.

But as I said before no one has to agree with what I am saying but Fact is its what we are doing anyway we may as well make it our base and call it the FO FO. Again call ot whatever you want but fact is 3 LBs with Harper near the los is in essence the FO FO I've been saying we may as well make it the base D but it doesnt matter cause its what we do in the 4-3 anyway drop Harper or a FS into the box.

But also as I said in reality Spags 4-3 can be sped up by playing

Quudus at SS and Harper at LB but also if only if he'd try Martez with Lofton and Harper I think we'd surprise some teams with how we fly around out there.

One last thing FO FO!
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    As I said a lot of posts ago with the personnel we have and the way we use them anyway and what they are good at the FO FO would be a good base D.

As I said before because of Harper's strength's this is why its in our best interest to play Harper closer to the los.

As I said before Nickel and Dime personnel can easily be ran out of the FO FO.

Thats just me and me putting a label on it.

As I said before say whatever you want but fact is we're playing Harper in da box with 3 other LBs at times. And as I said the FO FO advantage is that it can be done with Nickel and Dime personnel but maintaining the same look which keeps personnel even DBs in good tackling position thats why the FO FO is a good run defense.

But because of Harpers abilities we can run the FO FO like a pass/run hybrid defense because Harper is a SS/LB hybrid.

Toss in Wilson's speed being a LB/DE hybrid and the FOFO would work great.

But as I said before no one has to agree with what I am saying but Fact is its what we are doing anyway we may as well make it our base and call it the FO FO. Again call ot whatever you want but fact is 3 LBs with Harper near the los is in essence the FO FO I've been saying we may as well make it the base D but it doesnt matter cause its what we do in the 4-3 anyway drop Harper or a FS into the box.
    But also as I said in reality Spags 4-3 can be sped up by playing

Quudus at SS and Harper at LB but also if only if he'd try Martez with Lofton and Harper I think we'd surprise some teams with how we fly around out there.

One last thing FO FO!
    That wasnt and ISN'T a FO FO! Now if you want to continue sounding foolish, go right ahead! LMFAO

I'm done, ill just set back and enjoy the Buffoonery

http://youtu.be/C_Kh7nLplWo
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 10-01-2012 at 06:53 PM.

From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"

vCash
    That wasnt and ISN'T a FO FO! Now if you want to continue sounding foolish, go right ahead! LMFAO

I'm done, ill just set back and enjoy the Buffoonery

I know it aint a FO FO.

But do you know that maroon has a very very different meaning than moron.

I could say more but I come here to talk football and read others opinions not to call people names or get in those type of conversations.

If you were a dude in the main forum I'd go in with jokes on you but you're a Who Dat so you get yet another pass. But you never know with the way you like to talk up here one day I may dedicate an entire thread to you.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    I know it aint a FO FO.

But do you know that maroon has a very very different meaning than moron.

I could say more but I come here to talk football and read others opinions not to call people names or get in those type of conversations.

If you were a dude in the main forum I'd go in with jokes on you but you're a Who Dat so you get yet another pass. But you never know with the way you like to talk up here one day I may dedicate an entire thread to you.
    What? Lol....
    Everybody knows tha Bugs Bunny is mispronouncing the word Moron! That's what's so funny about it dude. Didn't you..... never mind!

We boys bro, but if you're talking only football, don't talk that silly FO FO crap bcuz it lowers your football IQ which I know you have a pretty damn good one!
    A joke is one thing but when u get one person mentioning Harper being in the box(which he always in) you start going crazy with that FO FO schit, seriously saying, "I told y'all so"! When it's clearly not a FO FO defense, it's just a shift in a players alignments on D!

Much love for you bro! #FoReal

Please stop mispronouncing the Saints Defense saying its a FO FO!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 10-01-2012 at 08:14 PM.

From my Stephen-

vCash
    What? Lol....
    Everybody knows tha Bugs Bunny is mispronouncing the word Moron! That's what's so funny about it dude. Didn't you..... never mind!

We boys bro, but if you're talking only football, don't talk that silly FO FO crap bcuz it lowers your football IQ which I know you have a pretty damn good one!
    A joke is one thing but when u get one person mentioning Harper being in the box(which he always in) you start going crazy with that FO FO schit, seriously saying, "I told y'all so"! When it's clearly not a FO FO defense, it's just a shift in a players alignments on D!

Much love for you bro! #FoReal

Please stop mispronouncing the Saints Defense saying its a FO FO!
    Theres a couple things going on with the Bugs Bunny thing but it aint worth discussing anyway.......

I aint mad atcha homie! Its all love on my end thats the way I roll. But you misunderstand my FOFO talk.

And I want to talk Defense with you and everybody else.

I know it aint a FO FO defense, but what I am saying is this and when or if you respond, respond to what I am saying not something different it makes me think you are basing your thoughts on the wrong info.

Because of our LBs and personnel, because of the run stopping problems we have, and the way we use our personnel. I think the FO FO would be best defense for us The Saints not every other NFL team just talking about our team and our guys.

I use the way we use Harper and his style of play as weight for my opinion why thats all.

Simply put I am of the opinion that because Harper's strength is in the box and the fact he plays in the box or closer to the line of scrimmage anyway with 3 other LBs we are pretty much shifting to a 4-4 style of play a lot of time anyway. Bringing Harper up for run support a lot as we do is essentially the same role he'd have if we just moved to a 4-4 and made that our base D.

Then I add that because of personnel like

Lofton Harper Wilson and maybe Casillas

we can field a faster D out of the 4-4. But what I keep saying is this aint all that much different than what we do now Harper is in da box a lot with our 3 LBs all Im saying is why not make it the base D since we keep shifting him down there.

I dont see why this is so stupid to you since as I said its essentially what we do anyway.

And then I added the other day that in Spags 4-3 I thought that Harper Lofton and Wilson should start at LB with Quudus taking Harpers SS spot.

I know the difference between Dime Nickel 4-4 4-3 etc personnel groupings its not rocket science.

But mostly I think its certain personnel on this team that together form a faster and better Defense.

Again again this is a site of opinions you have yours I have mine. I dont have any issue with that. I think everyone has the right to state theirs here wrong or right theres a proper way to discuss it with respect.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Theres a couple things going on with the Bugs Bunny thing but it aint worth discussing anyway.......

I aint mad atcha homie! Its all love on my end thats the way I roll. But you misunderstand my FOFO talk.

And I want to talk Defense with you and everybody else.

I know it aint a FO FO defense, but what I am saying is this and when or if you respond, respond to what I am saying not something different it makes me think you are basing your thoughts on the wrong info.

Because of our LBs and personnel, because of the run stopping problems we have, and the way we use our personnel. I think the FO FO would be best defense for us The Saints not every other NFL team just talking about our team and our guys.

I use the way we use Harper and his style of play as weight for my opinion why thats all.

Simply put I am of the opinion that because Harper's strength is in the box and the fact he plays in the box or closer to the line of scrimmage anyway with 3 other LBs we are pretty much shifting to a 4-4 style of play a lot of time anyway. Bringing Harper up for run support a lot as we do is essentially the same role he'd have if we just moved to a 4-4 and made that our base D.

Then I add that because of personnel like

Lofton Harper Wilson and maybe Casillas

we can field a faster D out of the 4-4. But what I keep saying is this aint all that much different than what we do now Harper is in da box a lot with our 3 LBs all Im saying is why not make it the base D since we keep shifting him down there.

I dont see why this is so stupid to you since as I said its essentially what we do anyway.

And then I added the other day that in Spags 4-3 I thought that Harper Lofton and Wilson should start at LB with Quudus taking Harpers SS spot.

I know the difference between Dime Nickel 4-4 4-3 etc personnel groupings its not rocket science.

But mostly I think its certain personnel on this team that together form a faster and better Defense.

Again again this is a site of opinions you have yours I have mine. I dont have any issue with that. I think everyone has the right to state theirs here wrong or right theres a proper way to discuss it with respect.
    IT WON'T WORK!

....it's you that's not understanding me!

From my Stephen-

vCash
    IT WON'T WORK!

....it's you that's not understanding me!
    Nah I get that you don't believe it will work.

I been trying to make a case that it will because again we are playing a 4-3 with Harper in da box/ near the LOS my friend is essentially 4 LBs anyway. To speed the LB corp up we add Wilson and Casillas.

I guess it depends upon what you believe a 4-4 LB does in my assessment.

Casillas or Hawthorne preferably Casillas for speed

Anyway I'll use the Wiki for a description cause its easiest:

Inside linebackers There are two inside linebackers in the 4–4 scheme sometimes known as the Mike and Buck linebackers. While they both play inside, Buck will shade to the strong side of the offense, Mike shades to the weak side. It is important for these inside backers to be aggressive and have a nose for the ball. As in most defenses, the Mike backer acts as the quarterback (LOFTON) of the defense and is often the defensive leader. The primary responsibility of both Mike and Buck is to stop the run. The Buck backer will generally be more active in pass coverage than the Mike. Because of this, the Buck backer needs to be athletic enough to drop and almost play like a strong safety (HARPER).

Outside linebackersAs there are two inside linebackers, there are also two outside linebackers. These outside backers are known as Sam and Rover. The Sam linebacker typically sticks to the strong side (CASILLAS ehh MAYBE SHANLE most likely or even HAWTHORNE this could be Martez's role instead). Sam does his fair share of blitzing, however he also needs to play the run and will usually be relied upon to cover the tight end or potentially a back out of the backfield. Rover will generally play on the weak side, however he can be moved to just about anywhere to better suit the defensive call or adjustment. The rover is probably the single most versatile position in the 4–4 defense. Depending on the call and the personnel in place, the Rover’s job could be purely to get after the quarterback or to drop into coverage. In a blitzing situation, the Rover is the most likely player to get to the quarterback (MARTEZ WILSON). The Rover position can be played by a variety of athletic types ranging from an outside linebacker, to a strong safety. The "Rover" linebacker is sometimes also known as the "Will" position (Sam comes from strong side linebacker, and thus Will signifies the weak side backer).

Harper

Wilson

Lofton

and somebody else Casillas or Hawthorne or Shanle
    would make a nice *** 4-4 LB corp imo. Whether you agree or not it doesn't change the fact that Harper's in that box with 3 LBs a whole lot anyway.

Anyway I will let it go but as I said before I bet as season progresses the FO FO will pop up again maybe not as a base defense but more run stopping formation shifts are going to occur more and more until this run problem is decreased. I guess if we don't ever call it a FO FO we can call it 4-3 with Harper in da box
    Last edited by Underdogz∞; 10-02-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Nah I get that you don't believe it will work.

I been trying to make a case that it will because again we are playing a 4-3 with Harper in da box/ near the LOS my friend is essentially 4 LBs anyway. To speed the LB corp up we add Wilson and Casillas.

I guess it depends upon what you believe a 4-4 LB does in my assessment.

Casillas or Hawthorne preferably Casillas for speed

Anyway I'll use the Wiki for a description cause its easiest:

Inside linebackers There are two inside linebackers in the 4–4 scheme sometimes known as the Mike and Buck linebackers. While they both play inside, Buck will shade to the strong side of the offense, Mike shades to the weak side. It is important for these inside backers to be aggressive and have a nose for the ball. As in most defenses, the Mike backer acts as the quarterback (LOFTON) of the defense and is often the defensive leader. The primary responsibility of both Mike and Buck is to stop the run. The Buck backer will generally be more active in pass coverage than the Mike. Because of this, the Buck backer needs to be athletic enough to drop and almost play like a strong safety (HARPER).

Outside linebackersAs there are two inside linebackers, there are also two outside linebackers. These outside backers are known as Sam and Rover. The Sam linebacker typically sticks to the strong side (CASILLAS ehh MAYBE SHANLE most likely or even HAWTHORNE this could be Martez's role instead). Sam does his fair share of blitzing, however he also needs to play the run and will usually be relied upon to cover the tight end or potentially a back out of the backfield. Rover will generally play on the weak side, however he can be moved to just about anywhere to better suit the defensive call or adjustment. The rover is probably the single most versatile position in the 4–4 defense. Depending on the call and the personnel in place, the Rover’s job could be purely to get after the quarterback or to drop into coverage. In a blitzing situation, the Rover is the most likely player to get to the quarterback (MARTEZ WILSON). The Rover position can be played by a variety of athletic types ranging from an outside linebacker, to a strong safety. The "Rover" linebacker is sometimes also known as the "Will" position (Sam comes from strong side linebacker, and thus Will signifies the weak side backer).

Harper

Wilson

Lofton

and somebody else Casillas or Hawthorne or Shanle
    would make a nice *** 4-4 LB corp imo. Whether you agree or not it doesn't change the fact that Harper's in that box with 3 LBs a whole lot anyway.

Anyway I will let it go but as I said before I bet as season progresses the FO FO will pop up again maybe not as a base defense but more run stopping formation shifts are going to occur more and more until this run problem is decreased. I guess if we don't ever call it a FO FO we can call it 4-3 with Harper in da box
    Dude what you are seeing and what you are talking about are two differen things! Plus the football terminology of what you're saying is wrong brother, no matter how you are trying to explain it! Defenses have been doing what you're saying but it's already been labeled and title with a name since the 60's and you FO FO dreaming name won't rename a defense, nor it's terminology! Let it go dude, bcuz you are trying to start a pipe dream of this FO FO! Defense shifting and or walking into the box is just that, and it's done out of the base of ANY defensive set! You trying to change guys into other positions when in real life they can't even get on the field in their original positions, due to their lack of talent and on the field technique! Have you even considered the body frame and weight that is required to play at those positions? Football players are required to get on the weight scale every week dude! Football inside those locker rooms are deeper than you are giving credit for, and to just disrespect it by making up a defense, changing terminologies and theories would just hurt a bunch of players and families!

*I ask you, why haven't not one coaching staff implement the real 4-4 defense in the NFL?
    Bcuz the NFL game is to Advance for that High School 44 defense.

#StopItPlease

From my Stephen-

vCash
    Dude what you are seeing and what you are talking about are two differen things! Plus the football terminology of what you're saying is wrong brother, no matter how you are trying to explain it! Defenses have been doing what you're saying but it's already been labeled and title with a name since the 60's and you FO FO dreaming name won't rename a defense, nor it's terminology! Let it go dude, bcuz you are trying to start a pipe dream of this FO FO! Defense shifting and or walking into the box is just that, and it's done out of the base of ANY defensive set! You trying to change guys into other positions when in real life they can't even get on the field in their original positions, due to their lack of talent and on the field technique! Have you even considered the body frame and weight that is required to play at those positions? Football players are required to get on the weight scale every week dude! Football inside those locker rooms are deeper than you are giving credit for, and to just disrespect it by making up a defense, changing terminologies and theories would just hurt a bunch of players and families!

*I ask you, why haven't not one coaching staff implement the real 4-4 defense in the NFL?
    Bcuz the NFL game is to Advance for that High School 44 defense.

#StopItPlease
    Because the NFL is a copy cat league and Coaches are too afraid to try something new for fear of being FIRED!

LB these days are faster and more athletic than ever they move around pretty well and a case can be made are the best players on defense in the NFL and when I assess our defense I think a case can be made if you view Martez as a LB like I still do then LB is the strength of our team as well. Playing 4 LB puts the best players on the field.

As soon as one team or Coach takes a chance on something and it works then the other teams and Coaches start copying it slowly but surely.

But again B I thought the wiki description would at least allow you to see that by dropping Harper in the box in essence he plays that 4th LB and SS role which in a 4-4 would be buck backer.

Anyway forget the FO FO.

I'll just talk about the 4-3 we are running and in doing it I think its most beneficial for us to continue playing a Safety in the box to help with the run support and occasional blitz and disguising of what we are doing with 3 LBs out of base D set.

I think those 3 LBs should be Martez Lofton and Harper for speed and better coverage in our base defense. Coverage is our best bet cause it sure aint Dline pressure from what I am seeing so far.

Quudus should start at SS

Gallette Will Smith Bunk and Cam Jordan should be our Dline. Spags has 3 DE packages anyway.

Greer and Prob at the CBs and I think we would be much improved.

Any fear/concern of us being too light should be eliminated by the fact of whats happening on D and that is most of our tackles are coming from the DBs and Lofton anyway.

And I think Spags is moving more in this direction as time goes on because I believe it fields our best chance at success on D.

Shanle gets beat too often. We need more speed in coverage and adding Quudus and Wilson provides this imo.

Harper and Lofton are making the tackles anyway why not let them rock out together more often and take some of Harpers coverage responsibility away which allows him to do what he does best more often blitz and tackle.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    I think having Harper playing more LB like he did against the packers, starting Gallete over Will Smith (or simply playing him more), benching Ellis for Hicks, getting Hawthorne back and playing Shanle less could make this defense far more productive.

The defense can't get much worse but any bright spots will be welcomed.

Also allowing the second most yards of any defense since 1940 is somewhat embarrassing. 2011 Pats are #1 :P

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanjd View Post
    I think having Harper playing more LB like he did against the packers, starting Gallete over Will Smith (or simply playing him more), benching Ellis for Hicks, getting Hawthorne back and playing Shanle less could make this defense far more productive.

The defense can't get much worse but any bright spots will be welcomed.

Also allowing the second most yards of any defense since 1940 is somewhat embarrassing. 2011 Pats are #1 :P
    I can't seem to focus on Hicks enough to see how he looks and make my own opinion, but I take yalls word for it that he is better than Ellis.

However, I question that any Dlineman we have is better than Will Smith at bull rushing.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Guys, having 3 Safeties on the field is called Big Nickel or Big Dime. It's not the 4-4.

I'd take Mingo over Jones too guess I'm an idiot too.

vCash
    Its Neo's fault for bringing up the fact that Harper was in at LB during the GB game

Anyway I'm glad Spags said

"Roman was playing, and I don’t know if you noticed yesterday, in a little bit different position. He was at the Will linebacker in nickel. I think that is something that is pretty good for us because Roman is really good down by the line of scrimmage so we may continue to do that."

People can say what they want, but in the 4-3 when Harper steps up into the box and or plays along the line of scrimmage. We're essentially playing 4 LBs. Not the 4-4 but OK.............
    Last edited by Underdogz∞; 10-02-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MT3279 View Post
    Guys, having 3 Safeties on the field is called Big Nickel or Big Dime. It's not the 4-4.
    Agreed! They are cluelessly talking about basic football info, trying to tell me im wrong or those NFL coaches are stubbord and sounding foolish as hell. #Clueless

For you(under)
    Roman Harper did not start at LBer! The starting LBers were Shanle/Lofton/Herring
    Again, GB was in a Spread WR set having 4-5 WRs on the field. The Saints trying to cover those WRs with DBs and not LBers, they went into their nickle and dime packages. Roman Harper would walk down into the Box b4 the snap trying to counter GBs delayed running game with Cedric Benson or defending Those short 2-3yrd passes that GB counts as running plays!

Neo stop egging him on!

I'm joking, but it really fits the moment!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 10-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.

From my Stephen-

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast