Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should we look at as a WR who can step up and contribute to our offense?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manny Arceneaux

4 12.50%
  • Devin Aromashodu

3 9.38%
  • Stephen Burton

10 31.25%
  • Michael Jenkins

2 6.25%
  • Kamar Jorden

0 0%
  • A.J. Love

0 0%
  • Kerry Taylor

1 3.13%
  • Bryan Walters

0 0%
  • Jarius Wright

6 18.75%
  • Sign Plaxico Burress

5 15.63%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Steelers for Mike Wallace

6 18.75%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Chiefs for Dwayne Bowe

7 21.88%
  • Trade a later pick to the Titans for Kenny Britt

2 6.25%
  • Sign Mike Williams

1 3.13%
  • Pick up a player off-waivers

2 6.25%
  • Roll with who we've got

4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Any one think theres a chance we can nabb Sanu or Marvin Jones from the bengals they have some pretty good WR's and those 2 and low on the charts and honenstly both probably as good or better than anyone but harvin or simpson.

Also off topic. But if it only cost us a 5th rounder how about trading for Colt Mccoy? We would be spiting GB who apparently has interest we get a capable back up and web can become the the 3rd string wildcat WR return guy God built him to be.

Also If Britt plays the last preseason game get on the phone!!!!!!! He needs a new team we need a wr and when healthy and out of trouble hes unstoppable. Ponder's abilities will grow twice as fast if we can provide him with a WR threat that he can trust to make the spectacular catches ALA Dalton/Green Stafford/Johnson.
    Last edited by El Jorge 69; 08-16-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    Minnesota Vikings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TearsOfPurple View Post
    He seems to be a really cool dude from what I've read/seen. He even made a highlight video of himself using his 22-film tape and posted it on youtube! I'm rooting for him.
    haha yea man, I sent him a couple tees from one of my lines and just started chatting with him on twitter. One day I get a call from a 318 area code wondering who the hell it was and sure as **** it was Manny. Been talking ever since. Super nice guy and humble as ****, definitely has had to work like a mofo to get where he is

vCash
    I just heard tonight that Ochocinco was cut by the fins. Can anyone tell me if this is true? And if it is I think that is someone we should be looking into. I thought so before he signed in Miami and especially now after the injury to Childs. Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepinItTwizted View Post
    I don't get why Daniel keeps bringing everything off topic in threads. This is the thread made to discuss the Wide Reciever position in the NFL for our team The Minnesota Vikings. Our discussion should follow Jerome Simpson, Percy Harvin, Devin Aromashodu, Manny arceneaux, Stephen burton, Michael jenkins, Jarius Wright, Greg Child's, Kerry Taylor, a.j. love, Bryan Walters or the signing of a FA or a WR off the waiver wire. How hard really can it be to keep on topic?

Sorry if I sound like a *** hole but this guy doesn't get it.
    I don't really like to call anyone out like that though. Daniel had something to say and I think (lol we already have been in this thread, much to my chagrin) it is certainly something worth discussion, however this is not the right place to discuss the depth/backups for the whole roster. Its easy to see how he could get pulled off topic with it (he was thinking of the guys we have at WR, started looking at everything else and decided that a lot of our backups are not good).

I'm going to quote him over on the roster thread and we can all talk about it there.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    I don't really like to call anyone out like that though. Daniel had something to say and I think (lol we already have been in this thread, much to my chagrin) it is certainly something worth discussion, however this is not the right place to discuss the depth/backups for the whole roster. Its easy to see how he could get pulled off topic with it (he was thinking of the guys we have at WR, started looking at everything else and decided that a lot of our backups are not good).

I'm going to quote him over on the roster thread and we can all talk about it there.
    I am sorry Cheese. I should not have been like that. Just got caught at the wrong time and I should not have made those remarks.

my bad dude.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Just saw on profootballtalk.com..... the Bengals have released Jordan Shipley. He had a knee injury last year it sounds like and maybe didnt like his progress and have released him.

We need to sign shipley ASAP. Get him in here and see what he can do. He has shown TONS of promise so far in his young career.

Get shipley please ziggy!!

-- would be nice too if we traded for Colt Mccoy too and fully move Webb to WR & 3rd string QB just so we have an actual viable QB to backup Ponder.... as we have seen Webb is no good. Athletic -- yes but not a good QB.
    Last edited by rev; 08-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    Just saw on profootballtalk.com..... the Bengals have released Jordan Shipley. He had a knee injury last year it sounds like and maybe didnt like his progress and have released him.

We need to sign shipley ASAP. Get him in here and see what he can do. He has shown TONS of promise so far in his young career.

Get shipley please ziggy!!

-- would be nice too if we traded for Colt Mccoy too and fully move Webb to WR & 3rd string QB just so we have an actual viable QB to backup Ponder.... as we have seen Webb is no good. Athletic -- yes but not a good QB.
    So you want to sign an injured wide receiver to be our 3rd string slot receiver?

Also, everybody, please knock off the Colt McCoy talk. The guy is garbage. If we have to give up on Webb as our back QB then were fine with Sage Rosenfels. McCoy isn't even worth a 5th round pick at this point.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    He isnt injured anymore, they may have just didnt like how he was coming back. I am not in the bengals organization so i dont know why they got rid of him... he has already played in a preseason game this year, so he can play.

I think it would be a smart move, then he can take care of that slot position when we are moving harvin all over the place. Doesnt hurt to take a look right?????

PS. sage is old, i would rather have Mccoy back there and try and see if we can develop him incase Ponder doesnt work out or is injured and sage hasnt played for quite a while so who knows how well he can do too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    He isnt injured anymore, they may have just didnt like how he was coming back. I am not in the bengals organization so i dont know why they got rid of him... he has already played in a preseason game this year, so he can play.

I think it would be a smart move, then he can take care of that slot position when we are moving harvin all over the place. Doesnt hurt to take a look right?????

PS. sage is old, i would rather have Mccoy back there and try and see if we can develop him incase Ponder doesnt work out or is injured and sage hasnt played for quite a while so who knows how well he can do too
    Jordan Shipley - WR - Bengals

Bengals waived WR Jordan Shipley.
    Shipley is now eligible to be claimed off waivers, although his health is an obvious issue. Slow to recover from ACL surgery, Shipley was spotted by the Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy following Thursday night's preseason game with an icepack on his knee. "The knee was not responding," Reedy tweeted. If a team does want to give Shipley a look, the Jaguars make sense. Shipley had his lone productive NFL season (52 catches, 600 yards) under first-year Jacksonville offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski back in 2010.
    rotoworld

If we didn't have Percy and Jarius Wright as our slot receivers then this wouldn't be a bad idea but Shipley doesn't fix our hole at receiver. Plus the reason we drafted Jarius Wright is for when we move around Percy and give him a rest. We need a tall and athletic outside receiver. Childs was the solution to our problem but now he's done so were right back to where we started.

Even an old Rosenfels who hasn't seen much playing time in recent years is still a better option than McCoy. I live in Ohio and watch all the Browns games, McCoy sucks. He isn't worth giving up any of our draft picks.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Jordan Shipley - WR - Bengals

rotoworld

If we didn't have Percy and Jarius Wright as our slot receivers then this wouldn't be a bad idea but Shipley doesn't fix our hole at receiver. Plus the reason we drafted Jarius Wright is for when we move around Percy and give him a rest. We need a tall and athletic outside receiver. Childs was the solution to our problem but now he's done so were right back to where we started.

Even an old Rosenfels who hasn't seen much playing time in recent years is still a better option than McCoy. I live in Ohio and watch all the Browns games, McCoy sucks. He isn't worth giving up any of our draft picks.
    Fully in agreement with what you're saying, Shipley is a poor fit for us right now, and so is Colt McCoy. Its a stupid idea to start spending draft picks just to spite other teams in our division. If the Packers want him the Packers can have him. I wouldn't mind playing a Green Bay team quarterbacked by him at all, plus I bet there are better things we can do with a 5th round pick.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Minnesota Vikings: For young receivers, competition heating up
    The Vikings left training camp in Mankato on Thursday, Aug. 16, with clarity in a few areas. Despite a handful of erratic days, Christian Ponder showed some growth. Run defense is an early concern, but the secondary should improve. The offensive line looks more cohesive. Team goals are to maximize potential and surprise a few people on the way.

But one glaring question likely will persist well beyond Friday night's preseason home opener against Buffalo:

Without Jerome Simpson for the first three games, will Ponder be comfortable stretching the field with any receiver save Percy Harvin?

Stephen Burton flashed his downfield ability in the preseason opener, catching a 52-yard pass from Ponder, but to say he's a surefire NFL threat is premature.

Three weeks of training camp served as an amalgam of highlights and miscues for the backup receivers. On the final day of camp, four receivers dropped passes during routine individual work, against no defense, prompting Ponder to yell: "Come on, guys. Come on." In the Vikings' 52 offensive plays during a Harvin-less preseason opener, Kerry Taylor was the only receiver with more than one catch.

For the second consecutive year, wide receivers coach George Stewart faces the challenge of developing unproven youth.

So he's made a promise to himself that he has the next 2-1/2 weeks to fulfill.

"We are going to have five quality receivers on the field against Jacksonville," Stewart said. "And I feel confident

in that."
    Harvin is the only roster lock, leaving nine receivers fighting for four or five spots.

But the competition might not be as wide open as it appears on paper. Several players already have an inside track. It's highly unlikely general manager Rick Spielman would cut rookie Jarius Wright, a fourth-round draft pick. And Michael Jenkins just took a base salary pay cut from $2.5 million to $1 million. Though the Vikings made no assurances that the pay cut equaled a roster spot, it's believed the reduction enhances Jenkins' chances.

Burton appears to be the front-runner among the remaining seven -- ahead of Devin Aromashodu, Taylor, Bryan Walters, Emmanuel Arceneaux, Kamar Jorden and A.J. Love.

The Vikings were intrigued enough by Burton's combination of size and speed to start him last week against San Francisco. He produced the downfield gain but on an inside route dropped a pass from Ponder that wasn't perfectly thrown but still catchable.

Stewart said Burton has "great speed." Consistency will be crucial for the 2011 seventh-round pick after he played in three NFL games as a rookie last year.

"In terms of ceiling, Steve is a work in progress," Stewart said. "He's still getting better every day. He will be a guy in our future who gives us a chance to win on Sundays."

Aromashodu is in the mix. He showed occasional playmaking ability last year but had difficulty creating separation consistently. The coaches have asked him to improve his downfield ability, and Stewart said he's seeing strides in that area. Aromashodu and third-string quarterback Sage Rosenfels connected on a go-route pass this week.

Don't forget about Arceneaux or Taylor. The former has improved "more than any young man I've worked with in 25 years" since coming from the Canadian Football League, Stewart said. That doesn't mean he's a full-time NFL receiver yet, but Stewart said he's getting close.

Taylor's size (6 feet, 200 pounds) could hinder him on a team already committed to Harvin and Wright, but he's a polished receiver who can play inside and out. He keeps hanging around, often getting reps with the second team while Arceneaux and Wright are mostly third-teamers. The former practice squad player could find an NFL role somewhere, just maybe not in Minnesota.

Bryan Walters (6-0, 190) caught three passes for the Chargers last season but appears to have an uphill climb. Love (6-2, 205) and Jorden (6-1, 203) are long shots, with Jorden's hand/wrist injury virtually taking him out of the race.

Stewart is bracing for some separation in the coming weeks.

"It will sort itself out," he said.
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...-up?source=rss

To condense this down, what I get from this article is that is going to be Arceneaux vs. Aromashodu vs. Taylor vs. Walters at this point. Taylor might not be big but it seems like he's getting 2nd team reps for a reason.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    I just heard tonight that Ochocinco was cut by the fins. Can anyone tell me if this is true? And if it is I think that is someone we should be looking into. I thought so before he signed in Miami and especially now after the injury to Childs. Thoughts?
    Yup dude headbutted his wifey got arrested then got fired...but dang feeling sorry for ol girl have you seen Ocho's head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Yup dude headbutted his wifey got arrested then got fired...but dang feeling sorry for ol girl have you seen Ocho's head.
    I had no idea it was a domestic abuse thing, that sort of changes my feelings a bit. Although we do have Cook so it's not like we aren't willing to work with players that have been in that situation. I guess I would still like to see us give him a shot for the league minimum.

vCash
    After watching Ponder last night I cant imagine how good he could be if we got him a legit #1 WR. Like a Bowe or Wallace. Our offense could be unstoppable.

vCash
    I even think Ponder would benefit from a WR like Kenny Britt. It wouldnt be only Ponder benefiting from it though, Itd open up lanes for Harvin and Simpson. I really hope Carlson comes back and works out, Otherwise I say we need to let him go. No sense in paying 5 years of money to someone to sit on the bench when theres other guys who could use the money who progress.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast