Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should we look at as a WR who can step up and contribute to our offense?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manny Arceneaux

4 12.50%
  • Devin Aromashodu

3 9.38%
  • Stephen Burton

10 31.25%
  • Michael Jenkins

2 6.25%
  • Kamar Jorden

0 0%
  • A.J. Love

0 0%
  • Kerry Taylor

1 3.13%
  • Bryan Walters

0 0%
  • Jarius Wright

6 18.75%
  • Sign Plaxico Burress

5 15.63%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Steelers for Mike Wallace

6 18.75%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Chiefs for Dwayne Bowe

7 21.88%
  • Trade a later pick to the Titans for Kenny Britt

2 6.25%
  • Sign Mike Williams

1 3.13%
  • Pick up a player off-waivers

2 6.25%
  • Roll with who we've got

4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Pats aren’t expected to sign Plaxico

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...xico/#comments

Why am I not surprised? I want to spend a little time and talk about why I don't want the guy here.

Lots of you guys on here are still thinking about the guy with stars in your eyes as if he's still the same player that won the Giants the Super Bowl in 2007. He isn't.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/2011/
    Other than one game where he scored 3 red zone TDs he put up pretty bland numbers. It comes down to two things.

#1 Age (and what its done to his speed)
    If Burress is brought to this team he is not even going to be a bandaid for our problem at WR. If we try to use him as a starter it won't be pretty, the guy just doesn't have the speed anymore to get away from anyone.

#2 Effect on the team
    In order for him (or any other veteran) to actually learn our offense they will be taking snaps away from (and therefore stunting the growth) of the young WRs on this team, some of whom might actually have some hope of a future with this team beyond this year (Plaxico does not).

I don't have anything against Plaxico (I really don't like Terrell Owens though and I would't have wanted him on this team just for the simple fact that he is Terrell Owens). He was a bit of a headache for Coughlin during his time with the Giants (and I'm even talking about before the whole weapons arrest thing) but I really don't think its fair that he spent 2 years in prison for what happened when you look at what some other guys get away with (then again he could have plea-bargained so I guess a bit of that is on him). I wouldn't even really worry about him too much in our locker room. Some things leaked out from him about the Jets but that was after he left the team.

What it boils down to for me is that while Plaxico is not a bad guy, I think he would be little more than a waste of time for this team, i.e. his contribution towards what we will be able to do this year won't be worth the reps he's going to need in what's left of camp, I'd much rather see those same reps to go Burton. I doubt Burton will ever have the career Plaxico had, but I'd rather bet on him since he has a future ahead of him.
    Haven't you already spent "a little" time talking about how you don't want Plaxico? Its like a broken record. We get it you have a love affair with Jenkins and don't like Plax. Move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Haven't you already spent "a little" time talking about how you don't want Plaxico? Its like a broken record. We get it you have a love affair with Jenkins and don't like Plax. Move on.
    When did I say I have a love affair with Jenkins? I just realize that there's a reason why he's still on the roster, just like there's a reason why nobody has signed Plaxico.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    When did I say I have a love affair with Jenkins? I just realize that there's a reason why he's still on the roster, just like there's a reason why nobody has signed Plaxico.
    Maybe love affair is the wrong wording but you have defended having him on our team every chance you have had. This is the last I'm going to talk about it because its getting old going into half the threads and reading about a WR thats only 1,000 yard season came in college and who has only had one 100 yard game in eight years of playing in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Maybe love affair is the wrong wording but you have defended having him on our team every chance you have had. This is the last I'm going to talk about it because its getting old going into half the threads and reading about a WR thats only 1,000 yard season came in college and who has only had one 100 yard game in eight years of playing in the NFL.
    I see what you're getting at and I agree. Michael Jenkins will be a failure if we look to him as a #1 WR/deep down field threat this season (and that probably (was our intention when we signed him for $9 mil over 3 years). We can't and shouldn't count on him to turn our passing game around.

What it comes down to is that Jenkins role on the team should be reduced (along with his pay) so we can let someone young (like Burton) have a shot at fixing our pass game.

If we had a better option (as you know I don't think Burress or Williams are better options) I would have no problem with cutting him, and I think he probably should be cut if doesn't agree to a pay cut/restructured contract.

I guess the point I'm trying to make in all of this is that I feel Michael Jenkins can help us more than any free-agent WR right now because he knows the offense and has developed familiar with Ponder. That's going to take time (and practice reps) with anyone else we pick up and I just don't think that the other guys out there right now are worth investing that time especially when it can be spent on young players that could be the future of this team.

Also like you said, enough talking about Plaxico and Michael Jenkins.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Braylon Edwards - WR - Seahawks
    ESPN's Mike Sando believes Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens are battling for one roster spot.
    The idea is that the Seahawks can't keep two veteran receivers that don't contribute on special teams. However, Sidney Rice's continued injury problems and the struggles of Golden Tate/Ben Obomanu leave this wideout corps with a lot of question marks. The depth chart here is extremely fluid.
    rotoworld

either one of these guys are going to draw attention on the FA market if they don't make it through final cuts. I still think we should pass on both of them but that's just me.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Braylon Edwards - WR - Seahawks

rotoworld

either one of these guys are going to draw attention on the FA market if they don't make it through final cuts. I still think we should pass on both of them but that's just me.
    I would be more more interested in Tate or Obomanu if they decide to keep TO and Edwards.

There's no way we should consider TO. I'm sure the guy still has something left in the tank but he is a QB killer. The last thing we need is for Ponder to be distracted by a diva WR. I don't think Edwards would be a terrible gamble. He has had some off the field issues but when healthy has put up some solid numbers.

vCash
    Simpson is only out 3 weeks and we are not exactly a favorite for the Super Bowl this year... I dont see the need to bring in a FA. Simpson is also on a 1 year try out due to having so much athleticism/character issues. Its hard to know what we have there... so i dont think we will bring in a vet FA WR this year while we get some answers to a few questions.

i am not sure how many plays a game this O will even put 3 WRs on the field. i have heard a lot of talk about 2 TE sets, and Rudolph is fast enough that he can slide out to WR from a 2 TE set, so whoever ends up as the 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs is more of a question of building for the future and backups to what we have.

As has been said, Wright is a lock as the backup slot guy. i think that while Jenkins may not be the flashiest, anyone on that list is going to have to have a hell of a preseason to take his spot away. he has worked with Musgrave for a long time and is a steady vet... exactly what we need in talking about the 4th and 5th WR.

Outside WRs: Simpson, Jenkins, (Arceneaux, Burton, or Aromashodu)

Slot WRs: Harvin and Wright

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    Can we just end this nightmare in thinking Joe Webb can be a successful QB in this league. Webb only has a spot because he is a freak athletic wise but he just can't throw the football. Convert him to WR and leave him there. If you want to to a little Wild Cat with him that is fine but he is not an NFL QB.

Ponder - Rosenfels - Bethel something

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 0 , Yards: 0 , TD's: 0

vCash
    I seen Lee Evans was Cut. The guy WAS awsome in Buff. If we traded Harvin, would he contribute in the slot or split end? He has good hands and some wheels to go with it.
    waay better than Aromashudo's hands.

He would be worth a shot.
    No Chad Johnson talk please.

Got to get somebody here.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Can we just end this nightmare in thinking Joe Webb can be a successful QB in this league. Webb only has a spot because he is a freak athletic wise but he just can't throw the football. Convert him to WR and leave him there. If you want to to a little Wild Cat with him that is fine but he is not an NFL QB.

i meant to put that in my post as well. so sad that we have a guy that is 6' 4"... biggest hands in NFL... 4.3 40... capable of jumping small buildings in a single bound... and we use him to... hold a clip board. this will continue until after year 4 when he... leaves to become a star in NE.

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post

I actually agree. Its time we try out Webb at WR. He hasn't shown anything special at QB. The only times hes had success are when the opposing team didn't have time to prepare for him. Hes exactly what we need at WR. Hes 6 foot 4, fast and knows the offense. If you ask me its atleast worth a try.

vCash
    exactly, once they drafted Ponder they were saying what we already knew- Joe is, at best, a wildcat QB....get him and his athletic abilities on the field. Use him in the slot and run reverses, split him out wide, just find ways to get him the ball in space because he's shown what he can do with it. What he hasn't shown is enough ability to do all that from behind center.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    I seen Lee Evans was Cut. The guy WAS awsome in Buff. If we traded Harvin, would he contribute in the slot or split end? He has good hands and some wheels to go with it.
    waay better than Aromashudo's hands.

He would be worth a shot.
    No Chad Johnson talk please.

Got to get somebody here.
    Lee Evans - WR - Jaguars
    Coach Mike Mularkey explained that the Jaguars released Lee Evans Sunday because he can't play like he used to.
    "He's not the same player obviously and that's normally the case when you're nine years out of it," Mularkey said, adding that he wouldn't be surprised if Evans retired. "He's just struggling getting in and out of breaks and I think he felt the same way." Father Time appears to have caught up with Evans at age 31.
    rotoworld

Sorry but ask Ravens fans how good his hands were in last year's AFC Championship. We do not need and should not want that guy here.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    we could bring in both ocho AND hoozyermama....with TO and Moss unavailable if we want a dysfunctional tandem

why talk of trading Percy?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Source: Michael Jenkins takes pay cut in hopes of staying with Vikings
    by Tom Pelissero

MANKATO, Minn. -- Michael Jenkins wasn't a lock to make the Minnesota Vikings' roster even after rookie Greg Childs was lost for the season to two knee injuries.

Taking a sizeable pay cut certainly improved Jenkins' chances.

According to NFL sources, Jenkins agreed last week to renegotiate the two years remaining on his contract and reduce his 2012 base salary from $2.5 million to $1 million. His 2013 salary also was reduced, from $2.5 million to $825,000.

Jenkins could earn back some of that money in the form of a roster bonus that increased from $750,000 under the deal he signed last July to $2.425 million. But that seems unlikely for a 30-year-old possession receiver on a rebuilding team.

It's the second time in as many seasons the Vikings have made such a deal with a veteran receiver on the bubble. After the NFL lockout ended last summer, Bernard Berrian and Greg Camarillo both took cuts and both made the roster.

Jenkins' situation is more complicated because there concerns have been growing about his lack of explosion, which may stem from the surgery he had in late November to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

"I don't feel like it's an issue," Jenkins said on Tuesday, before the pay cut was revealed. "I'm just ready to go out and make plays."

He did that on Tuesday afternoon, catching four passes in team (11-on-11) drills and a couple more in a 7-on-7 red-zone period. But Jenkins' performance in Friday's exhibition opener at San Francisco was troubling, in large part because it reflected the same problems the Vikings have seen all offseason.

Dropping a back-shoulder pass that hit his hands on third-and-6 from the 49ers' 8-yard line was only the most visible issue. He moved like he had a flat tire as he has for much of camp, almost appearing to coast at a time he's in no position to do so.

The Vikings someone to fill the void at split end during Jerome Simpson's three-game suspension to start the season, and although Jenkins lacks the speed to be a matchup threat at the position, he has more experience and past production than the likes of Devin Aromashodu and Emmanuel Arceneaux.

That group combined for one catch for 6 yards (by Jenkins) in six targets against the 49ers.

"It wasn't just what they didn't do, but what we may not have done at the quarterback position or at the offensive line position," coach Leslie Frazier said on Tuesday. "So, we've got some time and we hope to get our pass game going with the second group. I thought the first group did some good things in moving the football in the air, but we'll see how it progresses.

"We're counting on certain guys to make plays for us. We didn't play Percy (Harvin). Jerome will be a factor for us, but we know we won't have him for the first three games. So, Devin will get some opportunities this week. Michael Jenkins will get some opportunities. Bryan (Walters) will get some opportunities. We've still got time."

A first-round draft pick (29th overall) in 2004 by Atlanta, Jenkins got a $2 million signing bonus in addition to a 2011 base salary of $1 million on the three-year contract he signed with the Vikings last July, days after the Falcons cut him.

In 11 games (seven starts) last season before the injury, Jenkins had 38 catches for 466 yards (12.3 average) and three touchdowns.

His cap number dropped by $2 million under the new deal, leaving the Vikings about $8.6 million under their adjusted salary cap as of Tuesday evening.
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/S..._Vikings081412

1 million is a lot better. I'm fine with him staying on the team for that salary because we honestly don't have much else.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast