Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who should we look at as a WR who can step up and contribute to our offense?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manny Arceneaux

    4 12.50%
  • Devin Aromashodu

    3 9.38%
  • Stephen Burton

    10 31.25%
  • Michael Jenkins

    2 6.25%
  • Kamar Jorden

    0 0%
  • A.J. Love

    0 0%
  • Kerry Taylor

    1 3.13%
  • Bryan Walters

    0 0%
  • Jarius Wright

    6 18.75%
  • Sign Plaxico Burress

    5 15.63%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Steelers for Mike Wallace

    6 18.75%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Chiefs for Dwayne Bowe

    7 21.88%
  • Trade a later pick to the Titans for Kenny Britt

    2 6.25%
  • Sign Mike Williams

    1 3.13%
  • Pick up a player off-waivers

    2 6.25%
  • Roll with who we've got

    4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 286
  1. #136
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    44
    vCash
    1500
    Why would you want someone else who is rough around the edges? Don't we already have that? Granted, Aromashadu and Burton haven't really been making the plays to make us feel that we're going to have a stellar receiving corps going forward, but they both have the physical attributes and the potential to turn into just that. Don't discount the talk about how far Manny Arceneaux has improved since last season. Also, this is preseason, with our star running back out, and one of our TE (a major position in the offensive scheme) out. The majority of our offense is likely to be 2 TE sets, in which case it will be Simpson and Harvin. Why freak out over the fact we don't have another big receiver?
    It'd be great to see the Vikes win this year. But, in all honesty, I'd happily give up a stellar winning season this season in order for the team to be able to, through the draft, develop into an organization like the Steelers or Pats or Colts (except for last season), where a season that they don't make the playoffs is a surprising occurrence. I'm honestly tired of this trend of win for a couple years, stink it up for 3 years, win for 2, and so on. I'd rather give our FO a couple of years with a proper organizational structure to see what they can build through the draft, and stop this trend of free agent stopgaps.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hpmott View Post
    Why would you want someone else who is rough around the edges? Don't we already have that? Granted, Aromashadu and Burton haven't really been making the plays to make us feel that we're going to have a stellar receiving corps going forward, but they both have the physical attributes and the potential to turn into just that. Don't discount the talk about how far Manny Arceneaux has improved since last season. Also, this is preseason, with our star running back out, and one of our TE (a major position in the offensive scheme) out. The majority of our offense is likely to be 2 TE sets, in which case it will be Simpson and Harvin. Why freak out over the fact we don't have another big receiver?
    It'd be great to see the Vikes win this year. But, in all honesty, I'd happily give up a stellar winning season this season in order for the team to be able to, through the draft, develop into an organization like the Steelers or Pats or Colts (except for last season), where a season that they don't make the playoffs is a surprising occurrence. I'm honestly tired of this trend of win for a couple years, stink it up for 3 years, win for 2, and so on. I'd rather give our FO a couple of years with a proper organizational structure to see what they can build through the draft, and stop this trend of free agent stopgaps.
    Because we're looking for a big, fast young WR (which we don't have on the roster right now, since Childs went down). The only place we'll get someone like that is the waiver wire, and we shouldn't expect to find the next Randy Moss there (or even Greg Childs for that matter).

    A guy who just might not make the cut on teams like Philadelphia, Dallas or Green Bay (that are all loaded up at WR) could work out well here, but there's going to be a reason that he doesn't make the team, he's probably going to be a bit raw and tentative, this is to be expected.

    I agree with what you're saying about FA stopgaps, and the point I've been trying to make all along is that a young guy we pick up on waivers (say Dale Moss) could easily be a lot better for the team (possibly for the short term and easily for the long term) than a washed up old veteran. If whoever we might get doesn't work out, well he was just a guy we picked up on waivers, not like we have a lot invested in him and its not like he'd have the potential for tearing up the locker room like TO or Chad.

    As far as Manny Arceneaux goes, he's been talked up but right now he's hardly a guy who I would want to count on as a difference maker in the offense. Burton was the closest thing we had to that and he's apparently blown his chance by not standing out from anyone else. We gave Aromashodu a lot of snaps the other day because it looks like they were trying to get him to show something, but he keeps coming up short. After Percy Harvin and Jerome Simpson there is a huge drop off in the quality of the players we have on the roster. The sad reality is that there's not going to be an easy way to fix this. Not with some old guy that people still thing is good, and not with some young guy who's only NFL experience is getting cut. The upside is that at lest the young guy has some hope of becoming something more.

    Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

    WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

  3. #138
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    44
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Because we're looking for a big, fast young WR (which we don't have on the roster right now, since Childs went down). The only place we'll get someone like that is the waiver wire, and we shouldn't expect to find the next Randy Moss there (or even Greg Childs for that matter).

    A guy who just might not make the cut on teams like Philadelphia, Dallas or Green Bay (that are all loaded up at WR) could work out well here, but there's going to be a reason that he doesn't make the team, he's probably going to be a bit raw and tentative, this is to be expected.

    I agree with what you're saying about FA stopgaps, and the point I've been trying to make all along is that a young guy we pick up on waivers (say Dale Moss) could easily be a lot better for the team (possibly for the short term and easily for the long term) than a washed up old veteran. If whoever we might get doesn't work out, well he was just a guy we picked up on waivers, not like we have a lot invested in him and its not like he'd have the potential for tearing up the locker room like TO or Chad.

    As far as Manny Arceneaux goes, he's been talked up but right now he's hardly a guy who I would want to count on as a difference maker in the offense. Burton was the closest thing we had to that and he's apparently blown his chance by not standing out from anyone else. We gave Aromashodu a lot of snaps the other day because it looks like they were trying to get him to show something, but he keeps coming up short. After Percy Harvin and Jerome Simpson there is a huge drop off in the quality of the players we have on the roster. The sad reality is that there's not going to be an easy way to fix this. Not with some old guy that people still thing is good, and not with some young guy who's only NFL experience is getting cut. The upside is that at lest the young guy has some hope of becoming something more.
    After Simpson comes back, why do we need a big fast wide receiver? First off, size and speed aren't everything. Just look at Fitzgerald. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but he has the ability to go up for a ball and come down with it. The same way Rice did. Heck even Carter was a reliable deep threat, not because he blew by everybody, but because he could catch the ball better than anyone else and he knew how to run his routes to give the QB a place to throw the ball.
    Honestly, I'm fine with the primary corps of Simpson, Harvin and Jenkins. Jenkins doesn't have the speed, but he has some of that savvy that made Carter so incredible. I agree that after those three the reliability really drops off dramatically. It's not like any of them are Troy Williamson though! Yes they're not going to strike fear into defenses like Moss did, or like Calvin Johnson, but they have the ability to help keep the chains moving, assuming they can continue to develop.
    I also think that to have a great passing attack, you don't need to have top class wide receivers. Look at what Brady has done in years past with wide receivers that weren't really successful anywhere else. Brady knew the offense and his O-line gave him time. I'd like to see what Ponder can do given the same opportunity. I think the Vikes did a tremendous job this year through the draft and really working to shore up holes in other areas (O-line and secondary), so that in next years draft, they can focus on WR (if they feel Childs won't pan out due to injury).
    There's a lot to be said for young WR being able to work consistently with the same QB, maybe the ones we have now can start to develop a little chemistry with Ponder. I do see your point about bringing in a younger receiver off the waiver wires, but I'd rather wait until next year and get guys through the draft. There are always good WR to be found.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,479
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hpmott View Post
    After Simpson comes back, why do we need a big fast wide receiver? First off, size and speed aren't everything. Just look at Fitzgerald. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but he has the ability to go up for a ball and come down with it. The same way Rice did. Heck even Carter was a reliable deep threat, not because he blew by everybody, but because he could catch the ball better than anyone else and he knew how to run his routes to give the QB a place to throw the ball.
    Honestly, I'm fine with the primary corps of Simpson, Harvin and Jenkins. Jenkins doesn't have the speed, but he has some of that savvy that made Carter so incredible. I agree that after those three the reliability really drops off dramatically. It's not like any of them are Troy Williamson though! Yes they're not going to strike fear into defenses like Moss did, or like Calvin Johnson, but they have the ability to help keep the chains moving, assuming they can continue to develop.
    I also think that to have a great passing attack, you don't need to have top class wide receivers. Look at what Brady has done in years past with wide receivers that weren't really successful anywhere else. Brady knew the offense and his O-line gave him time. I'd like to see what Ponder can do given the same opportunity. I think the Vikes did a tremendous job this year through the draft and really working to shore up holes in other areas (O-line and secondary), so that in next years draft, they can focus on WR (if they feel Childs won't pan out due to injury).
    There's a lot to be said for young WR being able to work consistently with the same QB, maybe the ones we have now can start to develop a little chemistry with Ponder. I do see your point about bringing in a younger receiver off the waiver wires, but I'd rather wait until next year and get guys through the draft. There are always good WR to be found.
    Brady also has a great offensive coordinator tht apparently has a system 4 teams In the nfl think work. Packers saints patrios now lions will run out of 4 wide every down and simply challenged ur 2ndary Making it nearly impossible to blitz effectively. They spread out the defense so much and get so much Time even put wrs could shine in their system.
    we do not run an offense designed to pass the ball, this dual TE **** does nothing but contest the middle of the field and give teams the green light to blitz with such condensed slow developing plays. I don't believe this offense can compete with Musgraves offense.... I think our oline is more than capable of giving ponder time without having to put Rudolph and Carlson on each end of them.
    Minnesota Vikings

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    1500
    I think a big problem lies with musgraves play calling... I honestly believe up til game 4 we may struggle.. once we have AP, Gerhardt, Carlson, Rudolph, Simpson Percy all out there and firing on the same cylinders... Were gonna make plays, were gonna do something. I think Kyle Rudolph is gonna step up and be our Gronkowski that we need. This kids promising.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,170
    vCash
    1500
    ya i know musgrave likes to rely on his 2 TE sets so we'll see how he does with carlson and rudolph out there

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hpmott View Post
    After Simpson comes back, why do we need a big fast wide receiver? First off, size and speed aren't everything. Just look at Fitzgerald. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but he has the ability to go up for a ball and come down with it. The same way Rice did. Heck even Carter was a reliable deep threat, not because he blew by everybody, but because he could catch the ball better than anyone else and he knew how to run his routes to give the QB a place to throw the ball.
    Honestly, I'm fine with the primary corps of Simpson, Harvin and Jenkins. Jenkins doesn't have the speed, but he has some of that savvy that made Carter so incredible. I agree that after those three the reliability really drops off dramatically. It's not like any of them are Troy Williamson though! Yes they're not going to strike fear into defenses like Moss did, or like Calvin Johnson, but they have the ability to help keep the chains moving, assuming they can continue to develop.
    I also think that to have a great passing attack, you don't need to have top class wide receivers. Look at what Brady has done in years past with wide receivers that weren't really successful anywhere else. Brady knew the offense and his O-line gave him time. I'd like to see what Ponder can do given the same opportunity. I think the Vikes did a tremendous job this year through the draft and really working to shore up holes in other areas (O-line and secondary), so that in next years draft, they can focus on WR (if they feel Childs won't pan out due to injury).
    There's a lot to be said for young WR being able to work consistently with the same QB, maybe the ones we have now can start to develop a little chemistry with Ponder. I do see your point about bringing in a younger receiver off the waiver wires, but I'd rather wait until next year and get guys through the draft. There are always good WR to be found.
    What happens to us if Simpson gets hurt and misses a game or two? When did I say size and speed are everything? In this case what we need is an outside WR who can help make the odd deep play down the field. Size isn't required but it sure does help when they need to go up and get the ball. I'm not saying that we need a clone of Megatron, both the guys you mentioned (Rice and Fitz) are exactly the type of players that we need, however we're not going to find one that can catch as well as they can. Hell, if it comes down to it I would not at all be opposed to picking up a guy like Mardy Gilyard if he becomes available since he's pretty quick and can stretch the field.

    I'm probably Jenkins biggest supporter on here (you can look back and see some of my posts about why we should keep him vs. Plaxico) but I will readily admit that we should not be counting on Jenkins for anything more than a marginal supporting role. He's slow, but the most dangerous thing about him is that he knows he's slow and knows how to get behind a DB. On that busted play where Ponder got picked throwing to Harvin in double coverage, Jenkins was wide open because they doubled Percy. Jenkins will have his uses because he's so overlooked but we gave him a pay cut for a reason.

    I agree that we should be drafting a WR, probably pretty high because while I wish Greg Childs all the best, even by the 2013 draft we're probably not going to have a clear picture of weather he can come back for 2013 let alone if he can still be the same player he was.
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 08-26-2012 at 12:39 PM.

    Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

    WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,574
    vCash
    1500
    Carlton Mitchell - WR - Browns
    Browns waived WR Carlton Mitchell, OL Jake Anderson, OL Matt Cleveland, DB Emmanuel Davis, LB JoJo Dickson, P Spencer Lanning, WR Bert Reed, WR Jermaine Saffold, and WR Owen Spencer.
    Cleveland is down to 80 players, meaning they need to cut five more before tomorrow's deadline. Mitchell has a nice mix of size/speed, but hasn't emerged after being drafting in the sixth round back in 2010. His fate was sealed when the team added Josh Gordon in July.
    writing was on the wall once they drafted Gordon. We very briefly had Spencer on the roster last year but I don't think that either of these guys is a good fit. Mitchell would be a very good WR if he could just get everything to click though.

    Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

    WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville/Alliance, Ohio
    Posts
    6,738
    vCash
    1500
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at Carlton Mitchell or Danario Alexander.


    I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,574
    vCash
    1500
    Terrell Owens - WR - Seahawks
    Seahawks released WR Terrell Owens.
    Owens showed that he's over his 2011 ACL injury and can still fly down the football field, defeating coverage, but he dropped too many key balls in preseason games and simply didn't win a spot on Seattle's 53-man roster. The Seahawks are actually doing T.O. a favor by releasing him now. Although the odds seem long, Owens still has a chance to crack a Week 1 roster and get his full 2012 base salary guaranteed. He needs to find a taker first.
    rotoworld

    No. Just no

    Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

    WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marble, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    2,088
    vCash
    1500
    I would say yes to Owens, I think he will get it together.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    1500
    Honestly, Owens has had his problems in the past. His attitude no one likes, it seems like he's into better form and even if he couldn't come out and blow away the defense, he's a big name, he's well known and more likely to cover him double than Simpson or Harvin. I support T.O. coming here even if its for this year, go after him cheap because I gaurentee he would result in more benefit than any guy besides Rudolph Simpson or Harvin right now...

    We can't look at problems he's had before, maybe he could get it together and he'd light it.up for one year.. either way, Spielman won't go for it so its not worth arguing.over.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    44
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    What happens to us if Simpson gets hurt and misses a game or two? When did I say size and speed are everything? In this case what we need is an outside WR who can help make the odd deep play down the field. Size isn't required but it sure does help when they need to go up and get the ball. I'm not saying that we need a clone of Megatron, both the guys you mentioned (Rice and Fitz) are exactly the type of players that we need, however we're not going to find one that can catch as well as they can. Hell, if it comes down to it I would not at all be opposed to picking up a guy like Mardy Gilyard if he becomes available since he's pretty quick and can stretch the field.

    I'm probably Jenkins biggest supporter on here (you can look back and see some of my posts about why we should keep him vs. Plaxico) but I will readily admit that we should not be counting on Jenkins for anything more than a marginal supporting role. He's slow, but the most dangerous thing about him is that he knows he's slow and knows how to get behind a DB. On that busted play where Ponder got picked throwing to Harvin in double coverage, Jenkins was wide open because they doubled Percy. Jenkins will have his uses because he's so overlooked but we gave him a pay cut for a reason.

    I agree that we should be drafting a WR, probably pretty high because while I wish Greg Childs all the best, even by the 2013 draft we're probably not going to have a clear picture of weather he can come back for 2013 let alone if he can still be the same player he was.
    Looks like you and I are on the same page. IF our current corps of receivers consisting of Simpson, Harvin and Jenkins, stays healthy, I'm pretty happy with our WR. I wouldn't mind an upgrade in age and speed for Jenkins, but like you said, he knows how to get open and can catch the ball.

    I would love to see Childs back by 2013, but to be realistic, even if he is able to play, he's probably not going to be at the same level for quite some time, if ever. So, I'd like to see the vikes draft a big physical receiver with good hands next year.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,479
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hpmott View Post
    Looks like you and I are on the same page. IF our current corps of receivers consisting of Simpson, Harvin and Jenkins, stays healthy, I'm pretty happy with our WR. I wouldn't mind an upgrade in age and speed for Jenkins, but like you said, he knows how to get open and can catch the ball.

    I would love to see Childs back by 2013, but to be realistic, even if he is able to play, he's probably not going to be at the same level for quite some time, if ever. So, I'd like to see the vikes draft a big physical receiver with good hands next year.
    If Childs comes back it wont be for 2 years. it took him 2 seasons to recover from one knee. 2 won't go heal quicker. So sad though, I was so upset when i read he had gotten injured and it was as serious as it was. We need to get another Wr and if we don't Musgrave needs to redesign his offense where Rudolph is split out and standing. He just doesn't have the time to get outt of a 3 point stance help chip block and then work his way open down field. any 3rd and 2-5 down should be a quick slant to rudolph split out wide. Ponder seems to only struggle with throws to the sideline and thats 50% of musgraves dink and dunk offense.
    Minnesota Vikings

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    18,011
    vCash
    1500
    Am I missing something? How can anyone be pleased with our WRing core? Can you name more then three teams with a worse group? Maybe the Dolphins, Rams and Browns? This team has a ton of holes and WR is one of the biggest.
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 08-26-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •