Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should we look at as a WR who can step up and contribute to our offense?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manny Arceneaux

4 12.50%
  • Devin Aromashodu

3 9.38%
  • Stephen Burton

10 31.25%
  • Michael Jenkins

2 6.25%
  • Kamar Jorden

0 0%
  • A.J. Love

0 0%
  • Kerry Taylor

1 3.13%
  • Bryan Walters

0 0%
  • Jarius Wright

6 18.75%
  • Sign Plaxico Burress

5 15.63%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Steelers for Mike Wallace

6 18.75%
  • Trade a top draft pick to the Chiefs for Dwayne Bowe

7 21.88%
  • Trade a later pick to the Titans for Kenny Britt

2 6.25%
  • Sign Mike Williams

1 3.13%
  • Pick up a player off-waivers

2 6.25%
  • Roll with who we've got

4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

The WR Situation

What WR will be cut during training camp or what WR should we target in a trade.

As I watched training camp last week we need a WR at least while Simpson is not available. We are set at TE from what I saw.

There has to be a 2nd/3rd wideout on a team we could get in a trade.

Do not give up Harvin in a trade. He will have a great year. Simpson also looked really good.

Jenkins should be cut. The rest of the WR are young and have 0 experience. Burton looked ok at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SDvikes View Post
    What WR will be cut during training camp or what WR should we target in a trade.

As I watched training camp last week we need a WR at least while Simpson is not available. We are set at TE from what I saw.

There has to be a 2nd/3rd wideout on a team we could get in a trade.

Do not give up Harvin in a trade. He will have a great year. Simpson also looked really good.

Jenkins should be cut. The rest of the WR are young and have 0 experience. Burton looked ok at best.
    James Jones?

vCash
    Burton has surprised me, has looked nice thus far

vCash
    I say we stay where we are at, I have mentoned many names of FA's but in all honesty with all the touches Toby, AP, our 2 TE's, and Harvin are going to get I think we can fill out other 2 WR spots with Jenkins(whom did good last year), Devin A(who showed flashes last year), Simpson(after his 3 game sus), Wright, and Burton.

The only FA I would get excited about it Burress. My dream would be a huge trade to get Larry Fitz or Wallace.

vCash
    Vikings have really annoyed me as far as landing a # 1 WR. I understand the double TE package they are going to use for offense, but you have to at least try to land a veteran WR through FA or trade. I think they should of at least offered Burress a one year deal.

vCash
    I think that they should make a play to acquire Bowe from KC

vCash
    I think there will be a WR cut from team that we may be able to pick up.

We just have to have patience. When someone is cut go get him.

Harvin
    Simpson
    Devin
    Burton
    Jenkins - Cut
    Wright - Practice Squad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdabu View Post
    I think that they should make a play to acquire Bowe from KC
    I like this move. I think we should of initially made a move for V-Jack, but he was asking too much. # 1 WR is what we still need to fill. I believe our D will be much better with Cook and Winfield back in the mix, as well as Harrison playing first team reps in camp. Kalil should help protect Ponder and also get AP's run game going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acpimpsyou View Post
    I like this move. I think we should of initially made a move for V-Jack, but he was asking too much. # 1 WR is what we still need to fill. I believe our D will be much better with Cook and Winfield back in the mix, as well as Harrison playing first team reps in camp. Kalil should help protect Ponder and also get AP's run game going.
    Exactly. Having a PROVEN vertical threat like Bowe would benefit everyone else on offense. I know we have dual TE sets and Percy going in the slot, but having that vertical presence to stretch the field will make the middle/underneath routes that much more of a threat. GET IT DONE! KC might be more willing to bite especially with them saying that Baldwin is having a stellar camp and could be a #1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acpimpsyou View Post
    Actually we had a contract and everything worked out with Vjax, just idiot GM AJ Smith didn't let the trade go through.

vCash

The WR Situation

Well here goes, lots of people are sounding off about how shallow our depth is since Childs went down. I'm going to list a few guys who are available in FA, talk about some guys who could be waived and mention guys on the roster who could step up and become a rotational player or even a starter.

Guys we have on the roster.

Manny Arceneaux: 6'2" 211lbs Age 24
    Arceneaux was a star in the CFL but only made the practice squad last year and didn't see play time until late in the season and only had one catch. That said WR coach George Stewart said that Arceneaux has made the biggest improvement this off-season of any player he's ever seen.

Devin Aromashodu: 6'2" 201lbs Age 28
    Bounced around the league after being drafted in the 7th round by Miami in 2006, Aromashodu finally caught on with Chicago until Mike Martz turfed him. He flashed for us last year, sometimes making great plays but other times running poor routes and dropping a lot of balls. If Aromashodu can improve he has the potential to become a starting WR, but this late in his career he may never see the light.

Stephen Burton: 6'1" 221lbs. Age 22
    Burton was a guy we drafted last year because he had a great combine (was projected as a UDFA before that) but a bad camp with us in 2011. He made the practice squad and was elevated after Berrian was cut and Jenkins got hurt. Burton looked good at times in the pre-season and made one or two nice plays before suffering a torn MCL and being lost for the year. Arguably he has the most potential of any guy on this list.

Michael Jenkins: 6'4" 220lbs Age 30
    Michael Jenkins has never really lived up to expectations and earned the nickname "Molasses Mike" for a reason. He was on track to have what could have been the best year of his career until he tore a meniscus last season and was placed on IR. He's a big slow possession WR, but his future is questionable considering we're paying him $2.5 million dollars and at this point (if his knee is healthy) isn't going to be much more than a role-player.

Kamar Jorden: 6'1" 200lbs Age 23 *WAIVED/INJURED*
    Undrafted Free Agent from Bowling Green. I've heard a couple good things about him but he's missing a lot of time with a broken hand. Tough injury for a young guy to have in camp.

A.J. Love" 6'2" 205lbs Age 24 *WAIVED*
    An Undrafted Free Agent from USF, Love was already waived by the team but was re-signed after Greg Childs was hurt (so far the only "new" WR we have since Childs' injury. He has been rotated to the first team for a few snaps.

Kerry Taylor: 6'0" 197lbs. Age 23 *WAIVED*
    He started pretty high on the depth chart thanks to his familiarity with the playbook (he's been on the practice squad since last year).

Bryan Walters: 6'0" 190lbs. Age 24 *WAIVED*
    Probably more of a slot guy, Walters has the makings of a decent return man but is going to get a lot of competition on the roster from guys like Jordan Todman, Jarius Wright, Marcus Sherels and Percy Harvin.

Jarius Wright: 5'10" 182lbs. Age 22
    Wright was drafted in the 4th round this year with Childs (who he played with at Arkansas) very similar to Harvin in terms of build. He may be fast enough to be useful in the vertical passing game, but he's coming around slowly in camp. Essentially a lock for the 53 man roster but don't expect any big contributions or extended play time any time soon.

Free Agency
    Plaxico Burress: 6'5" 232 lbs Age 34
    Had an alright year after being released from prison, Plaxico isn't as fast as he used to be and will struggle to create separation from DBs. He has been a nice big target in the redzone though and he can still jump up and get a ball.

Mike Williams: 6'5" 241lbs (reportedly up to 270 at the time of his release) Age 28
    Mike Williams had a great comeback year in 2010 and a horrible follow up in 2011. Coming off a broken fibula and a getting released by the Sea Hawks when he was up to 270lbs his best days are likely behind him.

Roy Williams: 6'3" 215lbs Age 30
    Known for in-opportune drops and generally god-awful play in Dallas and Chicago, probably doesn't have much left in the tank.

Michael Clayton 6'4" 215lbs Age 29
    Followed up a great rookie year but struggling to do SFA for the rest of his career. Nothing more than a bench warmer now.

Kassim Osgood 6'5" 220lbs Age 32 *SIGNED WITH THE LIONS*
    Special teamer only at this point.

T. J. Houshmandzadeh 6'2" 203lbs Age 34
    Who needs a slow "possession" receiver that can't catch?

Jerheme Urban 6'3" 212lbs. Age 31
    Another special teamer

Bernard Burial.....I mean Berrian 6'1" 185lbs. Age 31
    Shouldn't even be on this list because his football career is six feet under.

Javon Walker 6'3" 215lbs. Age 33
    Just putting him on here because someone else mentioned him earlier. God knows what kind of shape he's in after being out of football for almost 3 years.

Greg Camarillo 6'1" 195lbs. Age 30 signed with the Saints*
    Not really fast enough to be an outside guy and we already decided not to re-sign him.

Notable players who could be available for trade

Mike Wallace 6'0" 199lbs Age 26 (just about ready to come back to the Steelers)
    Wallace is in limbo after being tendered by the Steelers (he's an RFA) holding out, and then watching Pittsburgh lock up Antonio Brown with a long-term deal. The Steelers say he's not available, but he probably is for the right price. Trading for him though would necessitate giving him a HUGE contract as well as parting with valuable draft picks. He's amazingly fast and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Dwayne Bowe 6'2" 221lbs. Age 27 Reported to the Chiefs
    Bowe is another hold out and another really great WR and can go up and get the ball. He's reportedly on better terms with Kansas City and may be content to play out the rest of the year under his franchise tag.

Kenny Britt 6'3" 215lbs Age 23
    Britt isn't holding out, but he's not really on great terms with the Titans either. Likely facing a suspension after a DUI charge and repeated run-ins with the law, Britt got into a squabble over a team-imposed fine the other day, and has somewhat shaky knees to boot. Could make for a roll the dice risk/reward kind of guy. Not exactly the kind of player I'd want but he might be worth it if the pick Tennessee wants is low enough.

Waiver Wire.
    List of some guys who could be available off waivers in September

Ruvell Martin 6'4" 214lbs (soon to turn 30) Buffalo Bills (they have a bit of competition at WR this year)

*CUT*
    Donte Stallworth 6'0" 200lbs. (age 32) New England Patriots (word has it that Gaffney has a better shot at making the roster, Stallworth isn't big but he is still pretty fast)

*WAIVED*
    Terrence Tolliver 6'5" 205lbs. (age 24) Detroit Lions (I can see the Lions trying to get this guy onto the practice squad)

Louis Murphy 6'2" 200lbs (age 25) Carolina Panthers (he might not make the cut in Carolina and he did have flashes in Oakland)

*WAIVED*
    Carlton Mitchell 6'4" 212lbs. (age 24) Cleveland Browns (I don't see Mitchell making the roster after they drafted Josh Gordon)

Adrian Arrington 6'3" 192lbs (age 26) New Orleas Saints* (Joe Morgan and Nick Toon might just push Arrington out of a job) *Update* he has a knee injury and may need surgery.

*CUT*
    Jaymar Johnson 6'0" 176lbs. (age 28) Arizona Cardinals (again not an ideal deep threat but he's familiar to the team and can be fast)

*WAIVED*
    Raymond Radway 6'3" 193lbs. (age 25) Dallas Cowboys (with who they already have, I don't think Radway, Holmes and Ogletree all make the roster. I wish we had kept Holmes last year but I see him as becoming the #3 guy behind Bryant and Austin for the Cowboys)

*WAIVED
    Dale Moss 6'3" 213lbs. (age 23) Green Bay Packers (similar to the Cowboys, unless the Packers decide to cut Donald Driver or trade James Jones, I can't see Moss, Diondre Borel and Tori Gurley all making the roster, they are going to try to put someone on the PS)

Logan Payne 6'2" 205 lbs. (age 27) Baltimore Ravens. We should remember Payne from when he was here in 2010. He still hasn't really solidified his career after ending up on IR last year and not really doing much for the Jets after they picked him up on waivers from us. Payne has good hands though and is decently fast. He wouldn't be a weapon for us but he very well could produce.

*CUT*
    Mardy Gilyard 5'11" 194 lbs. (age 25) Philadelphia Eagles. He's bounced around the league and he's no lock to make Philly's final roster. He is fast but still a work in progress.

Ramses Barden 6'6" 225 lbs. (age 26) New York Giants. Barden is huge, but slow. He hasn't ever accomplished much with the GIants so its hard to imagine why that would change here

Dezmon Briscoe 6'2" 210 lbs (age 22) Washington Redskins. Briscoe was waived after he failed conditioning tests for the Bucs new coaching staff (this was after he missed all off season work outs and OTAs) but he was quickly picked up by Washington. The Redskins will probably keep him but on the off chance they don't he could be worth a look.

Braylon Edwards 6'3" 214 lbs. (age 28) Seattle Seahawks. Braylon was cut by the 9ers last year after a knee injury which he took a while to get over. He's competing with Terrell Owens for a roster spot in Seattle. If he gets cut he could be worth a look.

*WAIVED/INJURED*
    Danario Alexander 6'5" 217lbs. (age 24) St. Louis Rams. The Guy is really fast, but he's also really fragile and has been having ongoing trouble with his knee since his college days. Its possible that the Rams will give up on him, but if they do it will likely be due to medical issues so we'd probably best steer clear.
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 08-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Good info Cheese.

gonna be tricky to see whats gonna happen.
    Spielman suprized the heck out of me with Simpson. And Simpson has done well so far.

To trade for Bowe would be a dream come true. Bowe is for real.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    I chose my man Burton and sticking with what we have. I didn't realize Burton has knee surgery so that kind of hurts my view of him but I'll assume he is 100% and stick with it.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I chose my man Burton and sticking with what we have. I didn't realize Burton has knee surgery so that kind of hurts my view of him but I'll assume he is 100% and stick with it.
    I'm not sure if they needed to operate on Burton, it could have been the same as Gearhart and it just healed over time. MCLs can be like that, unlike ACLs.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I wouldn't mind Louis Murphy either. Might be worth it if they let him go.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast