Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mac OSX 10.8: Mountain Lion

So I wanted to get the impressions from fellow Mac users to see what you think of it so far (if you have downloaded it) and your comments/critiques on 10.7 as well.

I have not gotten it yet and really don't see myself getting it. I haven't heard anything too special about it and don't see the expense being justified. The guy I work with that does Apple support doesn't seem to excited about it, which is a good hint for me. He said that 10.9 (if not just 11) will probably be a bigger overhaul since Apple has moved to a one-year life cycle.

So if you have it, tell me if I'm right or wrong. I would rather keep the Apple fanboyism and hatred out of it, but its inevitable.

worst name ever.

For the price it was worth it for me.... Most review sites, say for the cost its well worth it

Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    For the price it was worth it for me.... Most review sites, say for the cost its well worth it
    What change did they make that you say it's worth the price? I don't see anything in it that makes me think it's worth the price. I don't think there will be that big a change.

Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    worst name ever.
    they should have called it macs are overpriced I'm not lying

Quote Originally Posted by yaswaggin View Post
    they should have called it macs are overpriced I'm not lying
    Number of times my Mac has crashed: Zero
    Number of times PCs have crashed on me: More than I can count

Macs are more expensive but they work better in almost every instance. The way it was built (both technologically and security-wise) have impressed me far more than any other OS out there. The fact that it is so closed and only integrates 3rd party into it if they meet higher standards.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post

Macs are more expensive but they work better in almost every instance. The way it was built (both technologically and security-wise) have impressed me far more than any other OS out there. The fact that it is so closed and only integrates 3rd party into it if they meet higher standards.
    That type of security creates limitations.
    Last edited by 1-800-STFU; 07-26-2012 at 08:14 AM.

I love reminders and sending text messages from your mac is an amazing feature.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    That type of security creates limitations.
    True, I won't deny that. But if you know what you are doing, you can really reel back the curtain and actually do more than you ever could on a PC.

If you are someone who knows or wants to learn AppleScript, then the base code of OSX leaves you much more potential than Windows.

True, I won't deny that. But if you know what you are doing, you can really reel back the curtain and actually do more than you ever could on a PC.

If you are someone who knows or wants to learn AppleScript, then the base code of OSX leaves you much more potential than Windows.
    Or you could just switch to a Linux or another *nix based system, that allows for far more then OSX. The Security of OSX is thanks to it's low marketshare and not thanks to a superior security concept, additional apple has a bad track record of quick fixing security holes and admitting them. Windows since Vista is as secure as OSX, if you have the setting that you have to approve each installation and executable.

Malware etc. is mostly distributed through Social Engineering scams not trough backdoor installations. Again Windows has a higher Risk because the installed user base.

Neither my Win7 Desktop nor my MBP are crashing, so I have no problem with both. My MBP is still running 10.6.8 so i should probably upgrade because the next update will probably need 10.7.

my 2 year old PC has never crashed, nor had a virus. and i do download stuff all the time.

Macs crash all the time just not as frequent as PCs

That litte annoying circle with different colors when mac crashes and tells you to wait is madd annoying and takes forever to self correct. Most of the time i gotta pull out my battery when it does that

(For dbroncos i have 10.5) i think anyway

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    What change did they make that you say it's worth the price? I don't see anything in it that makes me think it's worth the price. I don't think there will be that big a change.

Go look at the feature list on apple website there are dozens One feature not listed safari is a **** load faster

Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    my 2 year old PC has never crashed, nor had a virus. and i do download stuff all the time.
    The entire system crashing OR programs crashing?

If I am counting the number of times my entire computer has crashed, it is maybe a couple. If I'm counting the number of times that a program has crashed, then the number is very high. But with my Mac its still zero. I haven't had a program crash, it might take a second to load when I open it but certainly no crash.

I do agree with the assessment that people make in saying that if you know what your doing the difference isn't as noticeable. But I have had absolutely no problem with my Mac and don't regret the decision at all. Plus I didn't play too much more than a high end PC. I got a (roughly) 40% through my school and paid about $1500 for it.

Also the person who pointed out that less bugs and whatnot are made for Mac because they are less used is correct. But on the other hand, the fact that Macs are perceived as impenetrable by most of the public would make them a more attractive to target by a person who wants recognition.

Since my macbook pro is an early 2011, I think it should work with AirPlay Mirroring. Correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast