Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Processors

Processors

As you guys know from my last thread, I'm trying to get tech savy lol. My question for you guys is, when looking at a Processor what is more important, the amount of cores it has or the GHz it pushes? For Example, which would be a better processor, a dual core pushing 2.3GHz or a quad-core pushing 1.8GHz? This is just theoretical, nothing included, it's just something I'd like to know for future reference

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quad.

The GHZ is basically the calculations per second each processor can do. The amount of processors multiplies that.

1.8 GHZ quad core is 1.8 billion * 4 = 7.2 billion dual core * 2.3 = 4.6

Now it all depends on what you are doing.

For gaming an I5 quad core that pushes over 3 GHZ is ideal.

For more intense applications where you run a lot of programs the I7 which has hyper threading is ideal.

I7 with hyper threading basically doubles a quad core to an 8 core. You don't need that many cores for gaming because you will never use them all. Which is why its ideal for intense multi tasking.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Quad.

The GHZ is basically the calculations per second each processor can do. The amount of processors multiplies that.

For more intense applications where you run a lot of programs the I7 which has hyper threading is ideal.

I7 with hyper threading basically doubles a quad core to an 8 core. You don't need that many cores for gaming because you will never use them all. Which is why its ideal for intense multi tasking.
    You seem to know your ****, thanks.

Quad.

Wow.. that makes a lot of sense, you know your stuff my man .

Now what about for just rec use which is what I want? Streaming Netflix now and then, surfing the web, and running a program like Autocad or Solidworks?

Nvm. Let's stick with the generalities to avoid confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Wow.. that makes a lot of sense, you know your stuff my man .

Now what about for just rec use which is what I want? Streaming Netflix now and then, surfing the web, and running a program like Autocad or Solidworks?
    The faster the processor the better. On a desktop even an I3 would do but I would recommend getting the fastest computer with a decent graphics card as your budget will allow.

The faster the processor the better. On a desktop even an I3 would do but I would recommend getting the fastest computer with a decent graphics card as your budget will allow.
    So in that case the amount of cores would be less valuable?

More or less. For those things a dual core 3.4 or higher would be good but I prefer quad personally. A quad core I5 is like 200$ where a dual I3 is prob around 150.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKnickFanatic View Post
    You seem to know your ****, thanks.
    he does and he helped me with my build and questions... Take his advice to heart... I treat my comp like my child now