Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 463
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    29,652
    vCash
    1500
    He's a Power Forward. His skillset is really built to be a player who is quicker than an average Power Forward but stronger than a Small Forward. He's still the 3rd best scorer in the NBA. When he's on his game, nobody can stop him.

    He is clearly our best player but can we stop acting like he's supposed to win it all on himself?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    There is no middle ground with Melo thats for sure. I try to acknowledge both the things he does great and the things that are holding him back from being top 5 player material.

    Best offensive skill set in the league, most clutch player in the league, unguardable when hes in a groove, defensive can be more of a plus than a minus, can be the best player on the floor any given night no matter who is out there, has shown he can outshine the best players in the league during the Olympics.

    Takes some questionable shots, does not score as efficiently as he should, hasn't shown the ability to dominate in a team oriented game in a Knick jersey, hasn't shown he can make his teammates better, teammates have a difficult time playing alongside him, defense is only a plus when he wants it to be.
    Those are totally false and you know this.
    Last edited by Punk; 08-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,945
    vCash
    1500
    Unless I am missing something, your point is that there are nine other players who are more efficient offensively based on pure statistical analysis. Assuming you are correct, I don't see any other player who is available who can give us more than Melo does. So if Melo is #10, #15, or #20 by your statistical analysis, it does not matter to me. I am happy that Melo is a Knick. That is not blind love. That is factual reality. Now if someone asked me if I would trade Melo for Lebron, that would be different. But we all know that is not happening.

    That being said, I agree with you that statistics are important, but I do not believe that statistics show everything because they can be influenced by outside circumstances. For example: Let's assume that we all agree that Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA currently. His career assists per game are 9.8. Last year it was 9.1. Does this mean that he has deteriorated? That he was a better point guard with New Orleans than with the Clippers? Or perhaps this means that he is on a better team now with more players who can pass the ball, so he has just a few less opportunities.

    Likewise, is it possible that some of Melo's stats are skewed because he was always expected to carry the offense even if it was a bad shot. Now that he is on a team with more shooters (hopefully), will better shot selection increase his efficiency? Shot selection is not always up to the shooter. It depends on whether there is anyone else on the floor who can, and is willing to shoot.

    As I said, stats are important. But I think one has to keep an open mind regarding possible factors that are skewing the stats.
    Last edited by trout1627; 08-06-2012 at 07:20 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,566
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by roshan3ai View Post
    I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Did you guys even read the stuff I wrote? The blind love is unreal.
    What did you expect a pat on the back? don"t see the point of your thread. Close to baiting. Like anybody else in the league you either like him or not and if you like him then what is the point of pointing out his faults and putting him down? Like we are not watching the games? There is no perfect player. they all have positives and negatives. You put a target on your post for putting it out there then get upset because someone doesn't agree with you. Nice try anyway.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GO NY GO NY GO!!
    Posts
    16,767
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by trout1627 View Post
    Unless I am missing something, your point is that there are nine other players who are more efficient offensively based on pure statistical analysis. Assuming you are correct, I don't see any other player who is available who can give us more than Melo does. So if Melo is #10, #15, or #20 by your statistical analysis, it does not matter to me. I am happy that Melo is a Knick. That is not blind love. That is factual reality. Now if someone asked me if I would trade Melo for Lebron, that would be different. But we all know that is not happening.

    That being said, I agree with you that statistics are important, but I do not believe that statistics show everything because they can be influences by outside circumstances. For example: Let's assume that we all agree that Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA currently. His career assists per game are 9.8. Last year it was 9.1. Does this mean that he has deteriorated? That he was a better point guard with New Orleans than with the Clippers? Or perhaps this means that he is on a better team now with more players who can pass the ball, so he has just a few less opportunities.

    Likewise, is it possible that some of Melo's stats are skewed becasue he was always expected to carry the offense even if it was a bad shot. Now that he is on a team with more shooters (hopefully), will better shot selection increase his efficiency? Shot selection is not always up to the shooter. It depends on whether there is anyone else on the floor who can shoot.

    As I said, stats are important. But I think one has to keep an open mind regarding possible factors that are skewing the stats.
    This is a good post mainly because this is how I feel about Carmelo as a Knick or at least since he has been a Knick. I think the one thing he should do next season is just pass the ball around a little more and I would actually be happy. Averaging an assist more next year can help in so many ways.

    Does Melo have flaws? Yea of course, no one is perfect. Rosh states it nicely as the OP but at this point all we can do is just enjoy the ride because at the end of the day we are all rooting for what is on the front of Melo's jersey not the front.


  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,686
    vCash
    1500
    There is nothing about this thread that is Baiting.....

    It's a simple demonstration of how Melo stacks up to other legit stars in the NBA and what he needs to do more to actually reach that level.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A small town called nunya god damn bidness
    Posts
    7,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    You simply ignored what Rosh posted.
    Uhh, no I didn't.

    "What I wrote out shows why he's not one of the best offensive players in the game."
    Last edited by AIMelo=KillaDUO; 08-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    29,652
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by trout1627 View Post
    Unless I am missing something, your point is that there are nine other players who are more efficient offensively based on pure statistical analysis. Assuming you are correct, I don't see any other player who is available who can give us more than Melo does. So if Melo is #10, #15, or #20 by your statistical analysis, it does not matter to me. I am happy that Melo is a Knick. That is not blind love. That is factual reality. Now if someone asked me if I would trade Melo for Lebron, that would be different. But we all know that is not happening.

    That being said, I agree with you that statistics are important, but I do not believe that statistics show everything because they can be influences by outside circumstances. For example: Let's assume that we all agree that Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA currently. His career assists per game are 9.8. Last year it was 9.1. Does this mean that he has deteriorated? That he was a better point guard with New Orleans than with the Clippers? Or perhaps this means that he is on a better team now with more players who can pass the ball, so he has just a few less opportunities.

    Likewise, is it possible that some of Melo's stats are skewed becasue he was always expected to carry the offense even if it was a bad shot. Now that he is on a team with more shooters (hopefully), will better shot selection increase his efficiency? Shot selection is not always up to the shooter. It depends on whether there is anyone else on the floor who can shoot.

    As I said, stats are important. But I think one has to keep an open mind regarding possible factors that are skewing the stats.
    Thank You.

    Not only that. The notion he hasn't made his teammates better...how are you going to make your teammates better if they were Toney Douglas and Landry Fields, Bill Walker?

    You have to actually have to have good teammates to actually make better. Melo for example made JR/Novak look great by passing it to them while they made a ridiculous amount of three pointers. Melo got a Triple Double, that was possible because he was playing with efficient players that night.

    If you do not have good solid players that can shoot in some way shape or form, you cannot make anyone better.

    Stats like that in general should be 70% taken for and also 30% put in perspective.

    He's played with nothing but trash besides Amare/Billups in the first 25 games with the Knicks. He played with a trash backcourt last season among other things.

    If anything, his stats from 2004 - 2010 is what should be used for example. Not last season.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GO NY GO NY GO!!
    Posts
    16,767
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    There is nothing about this thread that is Baiting.....

    It's a simple demonstration of how Melo stacks up to other legit stars in the NBA and what he needs to do more to actually reach that level.
    Hmmm in all honestly, to make better comparisons I think you need to compare to other players playing the same position as Melo. Also last year was his worst season in his whole NBA career.....same goes for Stat.


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,686
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    Uhh, no I didn't.

    "What I wrote out shows why he's not one of the best offensive players in the game."
    No...

    It's a summary of why despite his titles as Clutch and the most offensively gifted offensive player in the NBA he is his own detriment.

    I know a lot don't like to solely base their beliefs on players from facts but those numbers show why Melo isn't an elite player. Why can we have discussions about what Amar'e needs to do to actually be of help to this team by rebounding and playing defense but saying Melo needs to be smarter on offense is ridiculous?

    All the numbers show is why he is his own enemy and should be producing much better than he has shown.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,936
    vCash
    1500
    Ok, here are my thoughts, and let's just say that I will rip Melo if he did something I didn't like. But let's just see his options and I'm going by this year. Let's see who he is gonna make better.......
    Lin, he is the PG, so he really should be making people better. Against Miami, they shut him down, Melo was the only guy who can hold his own with Miami.
    Novak was great in the regular season, but in the playoffs, he was non existent, and couldn't get a good shot off.
    Shump, who played well, and was hitting his shots and played excellent D, so he was playing well with Melo, won't you say?
    Fields couldn't hit the side of a barn.....
    Amare, struggled with his shot all year, he never got going. He had good opportunities and didn't take advantage.
    Chandler did his thing.....
    JR is a wild cat, and does his own thing.
    Melo is the best player we have, and until you trade for Lebron, he is our best option to win.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    I honestly dont think Knicks are good but thats me, maybe thats cause I dont watch them they are boring to me and Nets already beat them.
    Classic DMF.....

    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    We have our foot on the Bulls throats with a gun pointed between their eyes. Now we are about to pull the trigger.
    Classic wavey......

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,686
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
    Hmmm in all honestly, to make better comparisons I think you need to compare to other players playing the same position as Melo. Also last year was his worst season in his whole NBA career.....same goes for Stat.
    Rosh provided evidence of his years prior to being a Knick and they reinforce the fact Melo just isn't as good as Durant/LeBron and his inefficiency is an issue. He certainly should be just as effective but his play style is counter productive. It's good for some stretches but not an entire season.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    949
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by roshan3ai View Post
    What I wrote out shows why he's not one of the best offensive players in the game. He's a top offensive talent, a great rebounder for a SF, and a clutch player. But there are a good number of deficiencies in his game

    This is why ppl dont care about " advanced stats". They are for number geeks IMO. To be honest, ppl keep trying to turn Melo into LBJ or base their opinion of Melo off of LBJ. Hes not him, thats not his game. Melo gets buckets, thats what he do. Look at what I have in bold, what else could you possible want from him? He can drop 40 on anybody, he can avg 10 rebs per game if he wanted to and he's one of the top 3 clutch shot makers in the nba but ppl point out that these silly "per" crap. It use to be per game game. Then it went to per 36. Then they came out with " true shooting %", come on man with that BS. Its not former players or coaches or basketball minds coming up with these dumbass( IMO) stats and formulas, its number geeks. Nobody cared about " advance stats" back when Magic, Jordan, Bird,Isaiah, Olawjuwon was winning rings. Nobody cared about Reggie Miller's true shooting %. Now these " Number Geeks" will explain that Omer Asik has the 3rd highest rebound % for a center born in the 90s and is right handed. I go by the GOOD OL EYE TEST, and I tell you what MELO performs on that court. I dont need the behind the scene politics to know that.

    Mike Woodson NYK

    Record ... 72 - 34

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,344
    vCash
    1500
    Why not also look at melo's number after he came back from injury under a coach who let him play up to his strength and not just stand in the corner and watch some d league chump do his thing can someone shows stats for that lol

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,344
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    Rosh provided evidence of his years prior to being a Knick and they reinforce the fact Melo just isn't as good as Durant/LeBron and his inefficiency is an issue. He certainly should be just as effective but his play style is counter productive. It's good for some stretches but not an entire season.
    2010 and 2009 wasnt his best season show his stats when he played with another top 10 talent like AI

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bronx,NY
    Posts
    1,001
    vCash
    1500
    He's our best player and he needs to get better.

    Thread!
    Props To KnicksR4Real For The Sig

    Props To KniCks4LiFe

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •