Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65

Thread: PK Subban

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,971
    vCash
    1500
    It's well reported and known that Marchand and Subban are good friends off the ice.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    19,744
    vCash
    8300
    They acknowledge that they pretty much know each other off the ice. Doesn't mean they are best buddies that hang out all the time. Quotes like this from Marchand convinced me enough so:

    "If I see him somewhere I will definitely talk to him," Marchand added. "We don't really keep in contact or anything. It's a job right now. Guys are friends all the time off the ice, but on the ice if they're on the other team you're going to have to take runs at them and do what you have to do to win. That's all it is."
    Link

    So yeah, they'll talk and acknowledge each other. They are not necessarily "extremely" or "good" friends.

    The two are good acquaintances, if not necessarily friends, from their time together on Canada’s 2008 world junior championship squad.
    Link

    My point stands.
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

    PSD's Zdeno Chara

    PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010



    Yeti FTW

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Top Shelfer View Post
    Burrows is another guy who is widely disliked but loved on his team. Yes, he bit Bergeron and everyone hates him for it. I don't care for his personality much either.

    Having said that, he is a hell of a hockey player and a pretty good all around winger. If you don't like a guy that is fine. Who am I to say that you can and can't like a player? The point I am making here though is that a player's talent level and ability shouldn't be downplayed because you don't like the way he conducts himself out on the ice. If he is a good player then he is a good player.

    I would totally agree with your feelings about certain players if those players didn't actually contribute tot he game. Take Zach Rinaldo for instance, the guy doesn't have an inch of talent, he is purely a goon who is out there to injure people. People like that are detrimental to our game not Burrows and Subban. Are they hated here? Yes. Are they great players? Yes.

    I know for a fact that Bruins fans absolutely loathed Zdeno Chara before he came to Boston. He was a big time enemy of this team and he always gave us fits. Now he is one of us and is honestly my favorite player in the game.

    I just think that players play a certain way because of the environment, system, or staff they play for. We may hate players now, but in our uniform your opinions can change drastically.
    Hey guys, was just looking over some boards tonight to see what some FA or trade buzz was on some other teams. Saw the comment regarding Rinaldo and wanted to ask what you're basing your comments on ........I don't recall every single thing from last season so I'm not sure if you're basing your comments on one specific incident where you feel like he crossed a line or had a questionable hit....but I've seen almost all the games last year and wouldn't classify Rinaldo's play as "a goon who is out to injur"..I don't think that's fair at all really to assess his game that way. Does he not have any real skills? Absolutely..but he's no different than any other fourth line player out there to take the body and set a tempo for the game.

    I"m sure there's a few instances where other teams get PO'd at him...but he' s not doing anything different than lots of other guys.....he's far from a goon..........watch Crosby and Malkin against us..they are FAR more goon like than Rinaldo ever is...

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fall River/Fitchburg
    Posts
    3,207
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Hey guys, was just looking over some boards tonight to see what some FA or trade buzz was on some other teams. Saw the comment regarding Rinaldo and wanted to ask what you're basing your comments on ........I don't recall every single thing from last season so I'm not sure if you're basing your comments on one specific incident where you feel like he crossed a line or had a questionable hit....but I've seen almost all the games last year and wouldn't classify Rinaldo's play as "a goon who is out to injur"..I don't think that's fair at all really to assess his game that way. Does he not have any real skills? Absolutely..but he's no different than any other fourth line player out there to take the body and set a tempo for the game.

    I"m sure there's a few instances where other teams get PO'd at him...but he' s not doing anything different than lots of other guys.....he's far from a goon..........watch Crosby and Malkin against us..they are FAR more goon like than Rinaldo ever is...
    I want to congratulate you. You are by far the biggest homer for the Flyers I have ever met and I have met a lot of the them. Crosby and Malkin are bigger goons than Rinaldo? Is this real life? They are no angels to be sure but to call them goons is incredible. This is especially true when comparing them Rinaldo.

    Here are but a few of his offenses:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIWc3PXfpZ8

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWAkER0S_k

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClzxLR1uoE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdD9BRBjcs

    The funny thing is the fact that I would agree with you calling out just about any player in the NHL for cheap shots, but when you try to claim that guys like Rinaldo are on the same level of Crosby and Malkin it is ridiculous.

    I get that you just started watching the Flyers a season or two ago because they got good again but you really need to take off the homer glasses. That is of course, if they are not glued to your head.

    Rinaldo plays about 7 minutes per game and usually gets a game misconduct during that span, he also contribute absolutely nothing in any regard to the team other than being a cheap shot artist and a little punk.

    Than again, Philadelphia loves those players who like to intentionally hurt the other team and hide it under some false pretense that they are "tough".

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fall River/Fitchburg
    Posts
    3,207
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Absolutely..but he's no different than any other fourth line player out there to take the body and set a tempo for the game.
    Oh really? Than why is it the Flyers 4th line had 16 suspended games last season? Which, by the way, is more than double of any other 4th line in the NHL.

    This doesn't even include the fines either, which are ample.

    But yeah, Rinaldo is just misunderstood and Crosby and Malkin are there to injure your Flyers, not to score goals and win games.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1500
    LOL...Oh, I didn't realize that's how it was around here. Sorry, the bravado/aggressive routine is about as useful as chicken crap on a pump handle with me. If you want to pull a few clips out as justification for something you probably only watch on Youtube then go right ahead.......and yeah, I"ll stack the Pens up with any of those guys....go ahead and Youtube the Pens work in the playoffs ...that's just goonery in sheeps' clothing....

    So no biggie....you're a fan of another team that perceives one thing based on whatever footage you've seen and I have a different opinioned based on what I see for an entire season.....based on your reaction your obviously not looking for any actual conversation on the matter so what does it matter anyway..

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fall River/Fitchburg
    Posts
    3,207
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    LOL...Oh, I didn't realize that's how it was around here. Sorry, the bravado/aggressive routine is about as useful as chicken crap on a pump handle with me. If you want to pull a few clips out as justification for something you probably only watch on Youtube then go right ahead.......and yeah, I"ll stack the Pens up with any of those guys....go ahead and Youtube the Pens work in the playoffs ...that's just goonery in sheeps' clothing....

    So no biggie....you're a fan of another team that perceives one thing based on whatever footage you've seen and I have a different opinioned based on what I see for an entire season.....based on your reaction your obviously not looking for any actual conversation on the matter so what does it matter anyway..
    How can anyone have a conversation with someone who says the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on a forum. I mean honestly, Rinaldo is less of a goon than Crosby and Malkin? Dude, did you even read that or did you rip that off the comment section on the local Philly comcast site.

    I love how you are acting all defensive now "oh I said something ridiculous and someone called me out on it, better act like everyone is an ***hole but me".

    Here is what you brought to the table:... hold on ... I'm thinking ... Ah here it is, an eye witness account

    I also said that the Penguins were no angels either but you "surprisingly" ignored the part in which I said I could see where you are coming from. I will reiterate it again. There are no angels in this game anymore, simple as that. Cheap shots are what they are on the ice and what we perceive them to be. Due to this point they are subject to change based on the person's opinion.

    You brought up Crosby and Malkin as goons. Okay great, but you are saying they had "goonish" behavior which is highly (I can't stress that word enough) common in the playoff atmosphere. They may have acted like Goons in some instances sure, but Rinaldo is a goon 24/7. He is out there to hurt you and injure you if possible in his 7 minutes of ice time again. That is his game.

    Malkin and Crosby at least bring something to the game when they play unlike Rinaldo. That doesn't make the two Pens' behavior justified but at least they have a purpose and talent. Rinaldo is IMO the worse player in the NHL, the guy is just a huge handicap to his team and to the league.

    So in reflection, I brought facts, statistics, and video which influenced my points.

    You had an eye-witness account.

    Tell me, is it me who is unprepared for a conversation? Or is it you who isn't ready to have this conversation? My guess is on you. I hope my "bravado/aggressiveness" doesn't take away from this joke of a topic you brought before us
    Last edited by The Top Shelfer; 08-14-2012 at 01:54 AM.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1500
    You've brought facts, stats and videos to influence your point......well done. What would suffice to you as video proof...should I youtube links to the other remaining 82 games that year? (Seeing as how you got up to Game 4 of the playoffs).

    Is Lucic in the goon category?......I'm sure the video footage on him is pretty extensive......or is it as long as you score and put up points that it's OK to get suspended or have a flagrant hit or two?

    Like you said, cheap shots are based on perception....we can youtube any player and find lots of questionable hits.....there is no "proof" in this game with the way it's played and the subjective way it can be officiated on whether certain hits are called or brought to the attention of the media.

    There is also context to every hit as well......I suspect if you searched hits by guys that are supposed to have a much better reputation than Rinaldo you would find way more than you think....

    Is Rinaldo a choir boy?? HELL NO.....but last I checked that doesn't make you a goon. You can't give the Pens a pass because 'it's the playoffs'....I don't bring the Pens up to be all sore about "Oh, look how mean the Pens were to us"......I would challenge you to go watch that series (and the final couple games of the regular season as well) as an objective hockey fan....and then you tell us what's goonery and what's not............I'll bet my eye witness account would match up to your "proof"....if I had to 9 hours to cut and paste video for you then you would have the proof you are after....

    But otherwise we get it, Rinaldo and the Flyers have a very bad reputation in Boston.....not a big shocker.........but at least come to grips with the idea that you might not understand it all in your limited view time of them, that's all. If you disagree with an opinion that you can't fathom has any merit, that's fine.....there are Flyers fans who would agree with you as well. But feel free to disagree without the condescension and dramatics, it never helps validate a point..

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    447
    vCash
    1500
    I'm just not sure how you say Rinaldo isn't a goon. Disregard other players (you bring other players into the conversation to move away from the real topic- Rinaldo), just please explain why Rinaldo isn't a cheapshot artist. Thanks.
    I don't like hockey. I'm just good at it. - Brett Hull

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    17,622
    vCash
    1500
    Rinaldo is literally used for nothing else than being a 'goon', and that's absolutely fine, there's nothing wrong with it, plenty of teams have that player. Shawn Thornton was initially used as pretty much the same thing, however over the year he showed he could be more of a useful pest. Guys like Laraque, Ruutu, etc. were all used as goons in the past. You can't sit here and say though that Rinaldo is actually remotely good at hockey, because frankly in offensive talent he's probably a bottom 6 AHL forward. He's good at what he does, and what he does is pretty much hit, try to eliminate the other teams' advantage, and take penalties the team needs him to take. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't come here and make excuses like Rinaldo is some sort of good hockey player lol.


    lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

  11. #56
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Rinaldo is literally used for nothing else than being a 'goon', and that's absolutely fine, there's nothing wrong with it, plenty of teams have that player. Shawn Thornton was initially used as pretty much the same thing, however over the year he showed he could be more of a useful pest. Guys like Laraque, Ruutu, etc. were all used as goons in the past. You can't sit here and say though that Rinaldo is actually remotely good at hockey, because frankly in offensive talent he's probably a bottom 6 AHL forward. He's good at what he does, and what he does is pretty much hit, try to eliminate the other teams' advantage, and take penalties the team needs him to take. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't come here and make excuses like Rinaldo is some sort of good hockey player lol.
    Where exactly did I say he was a skilled hockey player? No one would try to argue the guy is some sort of hockey talent..........but there's a pretty wide valley between unskilled checker and goon. He's plain and simple an energy line guy with limited skills that plays an up tempo aggressive style that works well with our coach's forecheck system.

    You are admitting that Shawn Thornton was the same thing but grew into a better more mature player.....Ummm........so with that in mind I'm assuming that you were busy villifying Thornton early in his career right?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tim17wirz09 View Post
    I'm just not sure how you say Rinaldo isn't a goon. Disregard other players (you bring other players into the conversation to move away from the real topic- Rinaldo), just please explain why Rinaldo isn't a cheapshot artist. Thanks.
    Because you're choosing to make assessments based on a smattering of youtube clips.......just the same as any fan in another city can youtube clips of Lucic, Chara, Thornton and label them goons based on the same logic. You can't have it both ways. Just because Chara and Lucic are more talented players that doesn't excuse the questionable hits they've taken parts in does it?......So if you get your elbows up and score one goal your a goon but if you headhunt guys in a more flagrant way but score 25 goals that makes you what?.....a gritty player? lol

    And it's very fair to bring other playes into the equation by comparison.......the videos posted there were all hits performed thousands of times before by players WAY BETTER than Rinaldo...does it make Rinaldo a candidate for the Sportsmanship Award? Hell no......does that make him a goon? No

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fall River/Fitchburg
    Posts
    3,207
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Because you're choosing to make assessments based on a smattering of youtube clips.......just the same as any fan in another city can youtube clips of Lucic, Chara, Thornton and label them goons based on the same logic. You can't have it both ways. Just because Chara and Lucic are more talented players that doesn't excuse the questionable hits they've taken parts in does it?......So if you get your elbows up and score one goal your a goon but if you headhunt guys in a more flagrant way but score 25 goals that makes you what?.....a gritty player? lol

    And it's very fair to bring other playes into the equation by comparison.......the videos posted there were all hits performed thousands of times before by players WAY BETTER than Rinaldo...does it make Rinaldo a candidate for the Sportsmanship Award? Hell no......does that make him a goon? No
    I think its pretty funny how thick you are haha

    Okay so all players in the NHL lay out the hits Rinaldo does? Okay cool, how many of those players kill penalties, score goals, run powerplays, provide leadership, etc? All of them.

    Rinaldo is purely out there to hurt and injure you. THAT IS IT, he contributes zero to the league and the game. He is just a thug on skates.

    Your argument is getting childish. You keep crying about how Crosby and Malkin doing it, than you act like they are getting away with it because they are stars.

    Grow up, every single play lays questionable hits from time to time. Does that make it right? No, but a guy like Rinaldo makes it his job to go out and lay questionable hits by the minute and that is the difference. That fact that you can't see that is insane.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,850
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Because you're choosing to make assessments based on a smattering of youtube clips.......just the same as any fan in another city can youtube clips of Lucic, Chara, Thornton and label them goons based on the same logic. You can't have it both ways. Just because Chara and Lucic are more talented players that doesn't excuse the questionable hits they've taken parts in does it?......So if you get your elbows up and score one goal your a goon but if you headhunt guys in a more flagrant way but score 25 goals that makes you what?.....a gritty player? lol

    And it's very fair to bring other playes into the equation by comparison.......the videos posted there were all hits performed thousands of times before by players WAY BETTER than Rinaldo...does it make Rinaldo a candidate for the Sportsmanship Award? Hell no......does that make him a goon? No
    What are you really trying to accomplish in here? You're going to argue that Rinaldo is not a goon, in a forum that ABSOLUTELY HATES the Flyers.

    - Rinaldo nearly lead the league in PIM while playing only 66 games

    - His TOI/G was 7:28 and his PIM/G was 3:51

    - Tied for 7th in the NHL for fighting majors

    - In ONE game he was fined for two separate instances vs. New Jersey
    - Late hit on Jacob Josefson ($2,500)
    - Slew-Foot on Zach Parise ($2,500)

    - Suspended two games for a high-hit/launching himself at Jonathan Ericsson

    I'm not sure why you bring Chara into this, maybe cause he's 6'9 and (maybe) the stronger player in the NHL. Lucic, ok I mean he ran over a goalie this year (not sure I'd call that a goon). Thornton is a 4th line agitator, if calling him a goon makes this fair the ok. I'd take Shawn Thornton over Zac Rinaldo any day though.

    Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg
    20GP / 9G / 13A / 1.1PPG / +20

  15. #60
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    What are you really trying to accomplish in here? You're going to argue that Rinaldo is not a goon, in a forum that ABSOLUTELY HATES the Flyers.

    .
    I'm just helping build the drama for Rinaldo's hat trick on opening night against you guys that will draw comparison to Mr. Cam Neely himself

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •