Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Green Party nominee arrested in Philly bank sit-in

What's YOUR candidate done lately? Another $3,000/plate fundraising dinner maybe?

Green Party nominee arrested in Philly bank sit-in

Updated 03:14 p.m., Wednesday, August 1, 2012

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein and her running mate have been arrested at a sit-in at a Philadelphia bank over housing foreclosures.

The arrests came after about 50 party supporters staged a protest Wednesday against Fannie Mae, the government-sponsored mortgage lender.

Some tried to reach Fannie Mae's downtown office through the adjacent bank. They staged a sit-in when they were denied access to the office building.

Stein and her running mate, Philadelphia activist Cheri Honkala (HAHN'-kah-lah), are among five people arrested. Police say they will face charges of defiant trespassing.

The demonstrators included several city residents struggling to keep their homes. Two met with Fannie Mae officials.

Stein is a Harvard-educated physician. Her "Green New Deal" platform aims to create sustainable local economies and reduce corporate power in politics.
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/G...in-3754578.php

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    What's YOUR candidate done lately? Another $3,000/plate fundraising dinner maybe?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/G...in-3754578.php
    They've not gotten arrested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Many good people have gotten themselves arrested to make a point.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Many good people have gotten themselves arrested to make a point.
    Rosa Parks, MLK, Gandhi.....a lot of their followers.

Jill Stein has more balls that Obama and Romney combined.

vCash
    Naming a few heroic people who were arrested doesn't make every political arrest heroic.

It takes more than this to impress me. Gandhi, MLK, and Rosa Parks were actually facing persecution on a personal level. Jill Stein is a Harvard educated doctor running for President. This incident has no business being mentioned in the same breath as the 3 aforementioned names.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkize31 View Post
    Naming a few heroic people who were arrested doesn't make every political arrest heroic.

It takes more than this to impress me. Gandhi, MLK, and Rosa Parks were actually facing persecution on a personal level. Jill Stein is a Harvard educated doctor running for President. This incident has no business being mentioned in the same breath as the 3 aforementioned names.
    Maybe, while I must confess this is the first time I have heard of Jill Stein I also have to say that she has way more cojones than Obama or Romney (as GGGGG mentioned).

vCash
    Great to see candidates who are willing to get with The People(and not the corporations) and fight for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkize31 View Post

My point wasn't to say that getting arrested puts you in the category of Gandhi, MLK, etc.; the point was that getting arrested doesn't mean you lose credibility or that it was for bad reasons.

vCash
    I'm surprised Ron Paul wasn't there.

vCash
    The demonstrators included several city residents struggling to keep their homes. Two met with Fannie Mae officials.
    Waah. Maybe they should be more worried about finding a way to pay their mortgage instead of protesting because they can't. The entitlement attitude pervades all of American society, and it is increasingly embarrassing for every single American.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Waah. Maybe they should be more worried about finding a way to pay their mortgage instead of protesting because they can't. The entitlement attitude pervades all of American society, and it is increasingly embarrassing for every single American.
    Do you know their situation? I sincerely hope you don't think that everyone who defaults on their loan is just an entitled snob. People get a loan when they had a job that paid them enough to pay the loan off and then bam a recession that they couldn't prevent and now they are unemployed or working at substantially less than they had before. Now they can't pay their loan. That isn't entitlement, its a massive shift in how the world around us changes our daily life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Do you know their situation? I sincerely hope you don't think that everyone who defaults on their loan is just an entitled snob. People get a loan when they had a job that paid them enough to pay the loan off and then bam a recession that they couldn't prevent and now they are unemployed or working at substantially less than they had before. Now they can't pay their loan. That isn't entitlement, its a massive shift in how the world around us changes our daily life.
    What does protesting about it change? Instead of proactively looking for a solution to their problem, they cry about it. That is a sense of entitlement.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Great to see candidates who are willing to get with The People(and not the corporations) and fight for us.
    Agree. I have been fascinated with the approach and issues of the Green Party for many years. It is unfortunate it has not been promoted to the "Big Stage" as an equal. Until that happens, I feel any vote towards an independent would be a wasted vote until there is a core following locally. If Nader can't do it, I am not sure this women can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Curious, have you ever been to a point in your life where you wondered where you were going to live or eat your next meal if things continued the way your life was at that moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Agree. I have been fascinated with the approach and issues of the Green Party for many years. It is unfortunate it has not been promoted to the "Big Stage" as an equal. Until that happens, I feel any vote towards an independent would be a wasted vote until there is a core following locally. If Nader can't do it, I am not sure this women can.
    I'm a firm believer that no vote is wasted. Of course both parties tell us this is the case b/c they want us to choose between D's and R's, however if neither mainstream candidate supports our views, then we often have no choice.

This is my personal situation. I'm done with voting for the lesser of two evils b/c two handpicked corproate shills every 4 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast