Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which FA woulf you rather have?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • MARIAN HOSSA

6 40.00%
  • BRIAN CAMPBELL

9 60.00%
Page 3567 of 4513 FirstFirst ... 25673067346735173557356535663567356835693577361736674067 ... LastLast
Results 53,491 to 53,505 of 67690

Thread: Old threads

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox71 View Post
    I'm fearful Bowman is going to go way over the top in on Doan, he is desperate. Feel like a pretty bad contract coming our way. Now, if we win the Cup next year, no problem.

By the way, I think a delay in the season due to labor problems, probably helps the Hawks due to our various players with concussions having more time to heal.
    I'd love to see us make an offer for Shane Doan something like 5 years, $32 million. That's a lot of money, but you can front-load the contract to make it easier to trade/get rid of at the end of the contract if need be.

I have no problem with the Hawks paying Doan a $6.4 million cap hit for 5 years. I think he'll be productive for at least 3 of those years, and is the type of tough, hard-nosed player this team could us in it's top-6. Honestly, if we got Doan, I think we win the Cup if we have decent luck injury-wise.

Obviously, you try to get him for less money, but around $6 million is probably what he's worth. There's some people in the NHL forum who don't think he should get more than $4 million a year. If David Jones is getting paid $4 million, Doan is worth around $5.5-6ish million a year.

vCash

I like the viedo more.

vCash
    I'm out on Doan if I'm Bowman. Deals can be made mid-season to improve the team.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

vCash
    I know we do not want to get into a Cubs/Sox debate. But, I hope Stan Bowman is taking notice of how Kenny Williams is handling the Sox this season, he has made three bold moves in the last month to give the Sox a chance to make the playoffs and make a run. I love the prospect watch/rookies that the Hawks have, but we have too solid of a core not to go all in. Giving credit that Bowman did go after Brodeur, Parise, Suter, and for other reasons they chose to go elsewhere, but don't stay in the hole. GO FOR IT!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox71 View Post
    I know we do not want to get into a Cubs/Sox debate. But, I hope Stan Bowman is taking notice of how Kenny Williams is handling the Sox this season, he has made three bold moves in the last month to give the Sox a chance to make the playoffs and make a run. I love the prospect watch/rookies that the Hawks have, but we have too solid of a core not to go all in. Giving credit that Bowman did go after Brodeur, Parise, Suter, and for other reasons they chose to go elsewhere, but don't stay in the hole. GO FOR IT!
    Well, what moves out there are there for Bowman to make? If we could get Bobby Ryan for prospects, that would probably have been done a month ago. Maybe we go for Bernier. If anything, I'd wait till the new CBA is more certain, because teams are most likely going to be trading players to get cap space after the new salary cap is set. Maybe you could get a good player then for cheaper since you'd be taking on salary.

Signing Doan and a defenseman like Scott Hannan are the kind of moves I'd expect/hope we'd go for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    Well, what moves out there are there for Bowman to make? If we could get Bobby Ryan for prospects, that would probably have been done a month ago. Maybe we go for Bernier. If anything, I'd wait till the new CBA is more certain, because teams are most likely going to be trading players to get cap space after the new salary cap is set. Maybe you could get a good player then for cheaper since you'd be taking on salary.

Signing Doan and a defenseman like Scott Hannan are the kind of moves I'd expect/hope we'd go for.
    Defense is, for the most part, (unfortunately) set. I believe Chris Kuc speculated that Montador is more likely to be a part of a trade than Hjalmarsson at this point, but we currently have 8 defenseman under contract for 7 roster spots. Would love to turn Leddy into a young defenseman with some size and nastiness. We shall see there.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Defense is, for the most part, (unfortunately) set. I believe Chris Kuc speculated that Montador is more likely to be a part of a trade than Hjalmarsson at this point, but we currently have 8 defenseman under contract for 7 roster spots. Would love to turn Leddy into a young defenseman with some size and nastiness. We shall see there.
    Agreed. Leddy would be a nice trade chip and is expendable with Oduya around. I keep wondering if the Islanders would consider a Leddy for Hamonic trade. Maybe not straight up but that would definitely help both teams especially if the Visnovsky trade gets rescinded (probably not likely).

vCash
    We all need to realize that Bowman Jr. is in over his head. Of the 3 biggest needs coming into this off season... NONE of them have been fixed. Tallon had his issues as does every GM, but damn that guy went out and fixed holes when he had them. Now look at Florida. That team is on the up. Forget Doan and call the Avs and make a deal for Stastny. Then call the Sens and see if Zach Smith is still avail. Send Hammer there for Smith. Or better yet, move some of these prospects we have piled up. Bowman is making a fatal error and becoming very Jerry Angelo'ish with his picks. Bowman needs to realize that windows for Cups open and close quickly. Putting pressure on young kids to produce rarely works out. In most cases, it can ruin the player.

Look at the Hawks teams of the early to mid 90's. Stacked.. one trip and swept. Point being the Cup is the toughest trophy to win. Sitting back is not allowed. Im sure Toews, Sharp and Hoss are not thrilled with waiting another 2 years for some of these youngsters to develop. You add to this The Jerry Springer Show known as our coaching staff... = not good. Moving a prospect or two should have pulled off some deals, but Stanley does not like to move his picks. News Flash Stan.. they are prospects. PROSPECTS.. unproven. If you can make a deal to bolster this team, for god sakes do it. I do not have good vibes about this season. Maybe Shaw and Olsen step up big? Maybe Crow finds his form? Maybe someone will play the #2 C? Maybe we figure how to play on the PP and PK again? Maybe Q figures out that tearing up the lines 5 minutes into a period really doesnt work? And one last thing.. I took some serious **** for posting the Fire Q thread last year. If any of you read Hockey Buzz, its being blown up with anti Q stuff. Just saying.. for proof look at the Blues. A good coach finds a way to use his players correctly. There are just way to many things in the air on this team. A front office doing.. well who knows what and Q playing paddy cake with his AC.
    Last edited by 1990; 07-30-2012 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    I am just amazed at the holding pattern that all teams are in. I really think the CBA has a lot to do with it. There are plenty of quality NHL guys still out there for a team to pick up but everyone seems content on waiting at this point. With basically all the premier guys gone (minus Doan) we have seen almost no activity.

Anyone want to take a guess at where Doan goes? I feel like atleast 15 - 20 teams have to be in on him, regardless of price - even though that obviously will stop a lot of those teams from pursuing him more. I still think the Coyotes have the obvious best chance to sign him, after that who knows.

vCash
    I agree with Boom!, and can't see it as any other way. Plus with the added angle is it actually seems more like the owners basically blaming the union for their not actually having a set of negotiating points (otherwise what else do you call teams that go out and spend to the cap every year - you can't tell me that they seriously are interested in a smaller cap - more likely it would be a higher cap or no cap at all.

So who gets locked out? Well the players naturally. It is kind of a joke -as I can't blame players wanting to get paid (just as I can't blame guys taking Campbell like contracts which either place their team in a bind eventually to trade them for relief, or basically just do with less to work with under the cap for extended periods of time (as in long past when the player is worth their cap hit).

So it sort of -for my money, ends up being a rather sticky situation overall -and one that I think might take a long time to actually sort out (of course I could be wrong, and the ownership/management actually do have a unified front -and in which case they actually have some points to bargain from which they all pretty much share.).

Stay tuned, I guess.

vCash
    First off, I want to mention that I managed to register without noticing that I left the '6' off my usual user name. Southern Cross 116 ( as in the constellation -seen in the southern hemisphere - mainly because I live in Australia... 116 - well lots of reasons - but I suppose one is that I have been a number 11 and a number 6 on various teams in the past -and since pretty much no one goes to 116 if there is someone using the same username on a given board... oiula -there you have it.

Ok down to business:

favorite player: Hossa

favorite player of all time: Secord

fan since: dunno - realistically call it 1980 with the US Olympic hockey team in Lake Placid.

favorite blackhawks moment: Stanley Cup wins are rare - I have to go with that.

favorite blackhawks cup season moment: Winning it works for me (I never saw that before - and man have I waited).
    Last edited by southerncross11; 08-01-2012 at 02:05 AM.

vCash
    ^^^ To go off of what you are saying and the CBA...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/82...-sharing-talks

Players currently receive 57 percent of hockey-related revenues, and reports indicate the initial league proposal on July 13 asked that it be reduced to 46 percent.

The owners want to extend rookie contracts to five years from the current three, and they want to cap all contract lengths at five years.

As for revenue sharing, it remains a key to the health of the league to keep the poorest teams financially stable.
    The owners are obviously shooting for the moon and this is pretty standard for any CBA. The thing that concerns me is that the players pretty much called their bluff by the ridiculous contracts being thrown around this summer (4 contracts were signed over $100 Mil if i remember correctly) and a team like the Hurricanes, a "small market" team, handed out a 10 year contract at $6mil a year and a 1 year contract at $7mil a year. On top of that, I don't know how many teams offered over $100mil to a free agent (Suter/Parise and possibly RFA Weber) but I would guess it was well over 5 and might even have approached 10. I mean, common! This could get ugly because why would the players go along with what the owners want when clearly the owners are willing to dish out long term, huge money deals?

vCash
    ^^^ Hope you enjoy it here. We have a solid group of posters and a nice supporting cast. Still no goalie though...

The best thing about this website is that there are plenty of disagreements but pretty much everyone on the board is respectful when they do it. Really encourages quality conversation that way and hell, who would come here if all we did was agree?

vCash

True/False - Blackhawks edition

The game is pretty simple and is being played in the NHL forum as well if you want to jump in. You answer the question above you with True/False, Over/Under, etc (whatever it dictates) and then make up a question for the next person to answer.

Give reasoning to your answer, it will hopefully start a good debate and a little more activity.

True/False - Patrick Kane will average a PPG with the Blackhawks this year.

vCash
    Jason Arnott took a salary reduction last season on the one-year deal he signed with St. Louis and he may need either to be willing to accept an increasingly reduced offensive role and/or another one-year contract in the same neighborhood as his 2011-12 deal. There are still several clubs with varying degrees of interest -- Edmonton, Chicago and Detroit have all been rumored-- but it is clear that the soon-to-be-38-year-old may need to remain patient for awhile longer.
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...e-Huet/1/45889