Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    philbin should be in the running for coy

vCash
    Ben Volin
    How much preparation does Joe Philbin put in for Sundays? Look at how much thought goes into deciding the coin toss

"Well we talk about it in the Saturday meeting, we talk about it. All the coordinators are there along with myself. We look at the history of the opponent and what they’ve done the last six times they’ve won the coin toss. Dave Fipp does that research and presents it to us. We kind of look at that and then we think about is the wind going to be a factor, is the rain, are we indoors? What do we think? If they have a real potent offense, do we not want to give them an extra possession in the game? So yeah, all those things. I’d like to say it’s super complicated but it really isn’t. We kick it around for a while.”

Adopt-a-Dolphin: Brent Grimes - #21, CB

vCash
    Meanwhile in NY they are talking about the coin toss as well.

Rex- Hey Tony wanna talk about the coin toss?
    Tony- Yeah good idea, I say heads. *fist pump*

vCash
    Joe Philbin interview on Siriux XM NFL Radio, said they were going to do an onside kick on the opening kick off the Jets game. But didn't get the chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    This should be a philbin + staff appreciation thread.

The improvements we have seen in so many aspects of the game and so many players is pretty incredible. Look at our special teams for example. Thisnlast week we blocked a fg, blocked a punt, got a td, week before we fake punt, ran for a 1st down in the clutch.

Those were all planned plays, where (I'm guessing) philbin and staff watched video, and saw weaknesses. And that's exactly what philbins specialty is.

Ps thigpen is also ranked in the top 5 off punt returns and top 10 off kick returns. And look at Nolan Carroll, and Clemons, and Wilson. All playing fantastic. Jones too.

I'm completely satisfied so far with how the team is progressing.

His staff is something I’m most impressed with, he didn’t raid Green Bay’s staff like most coaches do. No, he hires Mike Sherman who was the GM/HC of Green Bay for 5 years before being stripped of his GM title and later fired, but Sherman was the guy who gave Philbin his chance to coach in the NFL, and he worked his way up the coaching ranks at Green Bay. So Sherman was the perfect guy Philbin could trust to run his offense and to groom his young QB. (we all know history with Tannehill and Sherman) So on the offense, he has an OC who he can trust and his young 1st round QB, has 1oo% faith in his OC already knows the base offense from their history in college. What a dream set up for the offense, which is some that has been missing from Miami for years. But who he hired on the defensive side is what really impressed me, he understands that this is a passing league now, so he looked at some of the top secondary coaches in the NFL. He hired Kevin Coyle who has worked miracles with players other teams have given up on, (even us…twice…lol..) but he didn’t mess with what has worked, the D-line has been pretty good, so he kept Kacy Rogers, he also kept asst LBers coach David Corrao, but with the change back to 4-3 he brought back George Edwards, who was the LBers coach when Zach Thomas was here. However, where the Defense needed the most help was in the secondary, but he hired all coaches from the college ranks and a lot of ppl criticized him for that, but I think he wanted teachers of the game. That’s something the players can buy into, a DC who’s proven he can take anyone’s leftovers and make them shine and coaches who are going to go back to the basics and give them the confidence they needed.

Philbin has put together a coaching staff I think the players will buy into, and that’s the most important part, the players have to believe they can win and have to have complete trust in the coaching staff. The players have to be prepared well enough not to be caught off guard by anything the opposing team may throw at us and if Philbin has ppl doing research and having a meeting with all the coaches about the coin toss, I think our players are going to be prepared…lol…I can’t say that about any of our past coaching staffs.

vCash
    I am loving Philbin. When they said they finalists for the Dolphins coaching job I wanted Philbin and the reason I wanted him was because he came from a great organization, I had no idea he would be this good. I was also against Nolan being fired as defensive coordinator, I still think Nolan is a top notch defensive coordinator, but this defense looks better than last seasons defense so I am not going to complain.

vCash
    For me it's the Kevin Coyle hire. I was disappointed when Nolan left. I wasn't sure what our defense was going to look like. I wasn't too worried about our front line on defense but rather our secondary. I have to admit that our secondary has been showing some improvements all around but still has room for a lot more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXphins View Post
    His staff is something I’m most impressed with, he didn’t raid Green Bay’s staff like most coaches do. No, he hires Mike Sherman who was the GM/HC of Green Bay for 5 years before being stripped of his GM title and later fired, but Sherman was the guy who gave Philbin his chance to coach in the NFL, and he worked his way up the coaching ranks at Green Bay. So Sherman was the perfect guy Philbin could trust to run his offense and to groom his young QB. (we all know history with Tannehill and Sherman) So on the offense, he has an OC who he can trust and his young 1st round QB, has 1oo% faith in his OC already knows the base offense from their history in college. What a dream set up for the offense, which is some that has been missing from Miami for years. But who he hired on the defensive side is what really impressed me, he understands that this is a passing league now, so he looked at some of the top secondary coaches in the NFL. He hired Kevin Coyle who has worked miracles with players other teams have given up on, (even us…twice…lol..) but he didn’t mess with what has worked, the D-line has been pretty good, so he kept Kacy Rogers, he also kept asst LBers coach David Corrao, but with the change back to 4-3 he brought back George Edwards, who was the LBers coach when Zach Thomas was here. However, where the Defense needed the most help was in the secondary, but he hired all coaches from the college ranks and a lot of ppl criticized him for that, but I think he wanted teachers of the game. That’s something the players can buy into, a DC who’s proven he can take anyone’s leftovers and make them shine and coaches who are going to go back to the basics and give them the confidence they needed.

Philbin has put together a coaching staff I think the players will buy into, and that’s the most important part, the players have to believe they can win and have to have complete trust in the coaching staff. The players have to be prepared well enough not to be caught off guard by anything the opposing team may throw at us and if Philbin has ppl doing research and having a meeting with all the coaches about the coin toss, I think our players are going to be prepared…lol…I can’t say that about any of our past coaching staffs.
    Nice post, completely agree.

Bolded is the biggest difference between this staff and the old staff. This staff teaches until you learn.

We saw 0 development under the last staff. They truly were stuck in the stone age.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    I was just watching AFC playbook and Brian Baldinger said that the Miami Dolphins are one of the best coached teams.

vCash
    Let's slow down here. Tony Sparano also had a great first year(he finished one vote behind Mike Smith for COY).
    Last edited by godolphins; 11-05-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: COY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godolphins View Post
    Let's slow down here. Tony Sparano also had a great first year(he finished one vote behind Mike Smith for ROY).
    ROY??? really...lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godolphins View Post
    Let's slow down here. Tony Sparano also had a great first year(he finished one vote behind Mike Smith for ROY).
    I thought about that...but Philbin didn't have a good vet QB fail into his lap his first season, thats why I didn't include that into my post. The wheels came off when Henne took over and Sparano had to take the fall for it, because he kept starting the check down queen..Philbin is doing it his first year with his rookie QB. So I think if he can start winning with his young QB, we'll have something to build on. Sparano started over basicly his second year and we know how that ended.
    Last edited by XXXphins; 11-05-2012 at 02:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXphins View Post
    I thought about that...but Philbin didn't have a good vet QB fail into his lap his first season, thats why I didn't include that into my post. The wheels came off when Henne took over and Sparano had to take the fall for it, because he kept starting the check down queen..Philbin is doing it his first year with his rookie QB. So I think if he can start winning with his young QB, we'll have something to build on. Sparano started over basicly his second year and we know how that ended.
    Here's what I'm trying to say: Just because Philbin looks good in his first year that doesn't mean he's always going to be good. Its a marathon not a sprint. But you made a good point.

vCash
    I did not like Tony the first season. We had a very easy schedule and I hated his gameplan of get a 3 point lead in the 2nd quarter then run the clock out. That season we had multiple games where we let a team hang around and then we had too hold them off on a last second drive. We got lucky that season, that same strategy failed us in future seasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12