Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Joe Philbin Appreciation Thread

This is strictly for the offseason in which he took over, through camp thus far. To say I am impressed would be an understatement. Judging by camp, it looks like we had a really solid if not great draft (credit also goes to Ireland)

Plus the style of offense he's implemented is what you need to win in the league nowadays, and as a fan, what I am most appreciative of is his candid approach to the media. It really gives you a sense as a fan of what the organization thinks about every player every day.

With good QB play which I'm expecting, i see us finishing 2nd in the division (10-6) but i expect the bills and jets to be around .500. Curious what everyone else thinks about Philbin and our season outlook. I haven't been this excited about our chances in a season in a while

The Future

vCash

Adopt-a-Dolphin: Brent Grimes - #21, CB

vCash
    I'm actually excited about this upcoming season....if I still lived in Miami....I would buy season tickets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB23Ricky View Post

Plus the style of offense he's implemented is what you need to win in the league nowadays, and as a fan, what I am most appreciative of is his candid approach to the media. It really gives you a sense as a fan of what the organization thinks about every player every day.
    I agree with you that I'm happy with what I've seen so far. But I'd argue that you don't need to run this type of offense to win. People win running this offense, but that doesn't mean that's what you need to too win. The Packers went on an incredible run 2 years ago to win their super bowl. Last year they lost 2 total games, one regular season, and one in the post season, both the same fashion. If you can get to Aaron Rodgers you can win.

It's great to have a high flying offense, but to go 15-1 and get bounced in your first playoff game isn't the result you want. Now of course any dolphins fan would look at that and go ohh yeah hell. But I guess what I'm trying to say is there's still plenty of traditional teams that can pass and run just as equally. I'd say the Giants do that well and they don't run this fast spaced spread em offense.

I hope it works well, and I know it will add excitement. I just don't want to get into a slug feast with other teams. Time of possession is how you beat teams that spread it out. I believe it was the Giants who handed the Patriots their home loss last year with a crazy time of possession.

It' hard to get excited when you score within a few plays and take just a few minutes off the clock and on walks Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers again. I'd want to keep the ball out of their hands. Like someone mentioned in another post before, I'd rather win a game 17-10 than 49-48.
    Wake Show!

vCash
    I appreciate the fact that every player is given a chance, and no one is guaranteed a starting spot. The best players will be on the field, unlike the Sparano era...where names kept you on the field!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kendawg73:23188425
    i appreciate the fact that every player is given a chance, and no one is guaranteed a starting spot. The best players will be on the field, unlike the sparano era...where names kept you on the field!
    +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by M_I_A View Post
    I agree with you that I'm happy with what I've seen so far. But I'd argue that you don't need to run this type of offense to win. People win running this offense, but that doesn't mean that's what you need to too win. The Packers went on an incredible run 2 years ago to win their super bowl. Last year they lost 2 total games, one regular season, and one in the post season, both the same fashion. If you can get to Aaron Rodgers you can win.

It's great to have a high flying offense, but to go 15-1 and get bounced in your first playoff game isn't the result you want. Now of course any dolphins fan would look at that and go ohh yeah hell. But I guess what I'm trying to say is there's still plenty of traditional teams that can pass and run just as equally. I'd say the Giants do that well and they don't run this fast spaced spread em offense.

I hope it works well, and I know it will add excitement. I just don't want to get into a slug feast with other teams. Time of possession is how you beat teams that spread it out. I believe it was the Giants who handed the Patriots their home loss last year with a crazy time of possession.

It' hard to get excited when you score within a few plays and take just a few minutes off the clock and on walks Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers again. I'd want to keep the ball out of their hands. Like someone mentioned in another post before, I'd rather win a game 17-10 than 49-48.
    I agree with that but the difference with us is we have a top 5 D line and a really good rushing offense as well

The Future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB23Ricky View Post
    I agree with that but the difference with us is we have a top 5 D line and a really good rushing offense as well
    Yeah that's definitely a plus. The best way to beat those teams is to get pressure with your front 4. I'm excited to see how the defense looks.

I just don't see how people view us as a 4-12 team. I get the perception, everyone will take cheap shots on the Dolphins because of how the offseason panned out and the way our owner has handled things, but I don't think we'll be terrible.
    Wake Show!

vCash
    Call me crazy but I think we will go 10-6 with a shot at the 2nd wild card. We have a pretty easy schedule

The Future

vCash
    I'll take a wait and see approach on Philbin. I'm not going to put all my faith in him like I did with Sparano, Cameron and Saban.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godolphins View Post
    I'll take a wait and see approach on Philbin. I'm not going to put all my faith in him like I did with Sparano, Cameron and Saban.
    Fair enough. But unlike the coaches before him, Philbin was part of a winning organization (in the NFL) and is taken a proven approach to everything. I don't see any holes in Philbin's approach...I could see LOTS in our previous coaches. I for one feel really good about our chances. We may lack a few weapons in oue WR core and our seccondary may be a bit questionable. But in year two with another draft under their belt...I think we can win the division. And who knows from there?
    Thanks again Phins1983!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    Fair enough. But unlike the coaches before him, Philbin was part of a winning organization (in the NFL) and is taken a proven approach to everything. I don't see any holes in Philbin's approach...I could see LOTS in our previous coaches. I for one feel really good about our chances. We may lack a few weapons in oue WR core and our seccondary may be a bit questionable. But in year two with another draft under their belt...I think we can win the division. And who knows from there?
    In fairness though, Cam Cameron was hired when San Diego was lighting up the scoreboards and they were very competitive. Saban was a top notch college coach.

Im not crying over spilled milk, just sayin, these guys were high profile guys at the time, let's not pretend they were scrubs (notice I didn't include Sparano, who was a very unknown O-Line coach for Dallas).

I have to agree with godolphins, though I have a ton of optimism and I love what Philbin is doing - I want to see the results on the field. I have full faith they're coming but I need to see it first before I can believe in it. I love his interviews, composure and the way he speaks about his players as well - he's definitely the right man for the job (we hope).

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    The thing is, Cam Cameron just called the plays in his previous jobs. Really didn't have to do much with practice or keeping control of a team, that was his assistants and the assistant head coach. He didn't have a control system that benefited him, he had seperate quadrants and ****** coaches. Saban had a good system he just scared the **** out of players and that didn't really help him.

I think the practice and keeping control is the best part of Philbin, however whether or not the players will play up to their best is what is remained to see. As well as how the offense and defense are ran.

vCash
    Thought I would revive this thread with a quote from his latest press conference. Who would not want to fight their ***** of for a guy like this? We have our future QB and our future coach. I remember last year never really feeling like this team had any direction other than down. The players looked defeated and the entire fan base felt defeated. Been a long time since I have felt this excited about this team.

(On how concerned he was when Richard Marshall was injured three weeks ago and if Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson have eased his concerns) – “I don’t know if concerned. I’m pleased with the development of the secondary. I’ll say that. You’re always uneasy. When you realize the sacrifices and the effort and commitment that the players put into the game and a guy gets injured, you feel for the players. I don’t know that I was overly concerned, but more you’re disappointed for the individual, but you have to have faith in the guys that you’re dressing and bringing to the game that they have to contribute and make a play. (It’s) no different than Matt Moore. We’ve got to get up and get going and keep playing. It’s kind of similar.”

vCash
    This should be a philbin + staff appreciation thread.

The improvements we have seen in so many aspects of the game and so many players is pretty incredible. Look at our special teams for example. Thisnlast week we blocked a fg, blocked a punt, got a td, week before we fake punt, ran for a 1st down in the clutch.

Those were all planned plays, where (I'm guessing) philbin and staff watched video, and saw weaknesses. And that's exactly what philbins specialty is.

Ps thigpen is also ranked in the top 5 off punt returns and top 10 off kick returns. And look at Nolan Carroll, and Clemons, and Wilson. All playing fantastic. Jones too.

I'm completely satisfied so far with how the team is progressing.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast