Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixious View Post
    Who says?
    Considering the people in the draft, its not out of possibly (obviously nothing is guaranteed) but an 18 year old kid who is hitting 100 mph is going to be getting strong looks.

Looking at who may go in the top three, the usual suspects are Mark Appel (doubt it), Austin Meadows and Ryne Stanek.

I think with the hype, Otani can easily slip in the top 3. He definitely will be taken before the Jays turn at 10 (though anything can happen and will).

But with the hype, he'll get taken probably before Stanek (depending on the team and if they want to go with high ceiling arm or experience).

I prefer Austin Wilson or Kris Bryant anyways, though they will also probably be gone before 10.

vCash
    Honestly, talking about the upcoming draft, i would love for the jays to sign Kris Bryant. In 2010, when he was drafted in the 18th round, i knew he was a steal, as he dropped because of such high signing demands. More than likely on the jays, he would be a first basemen, but he has really good power, so that does look to be an issue. Hes the player im pushing for this upcoming draft as of right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    Otani is going to be in the MLB draft.
    Otani is an international free agent and subject to the new international cap of 2.9M ... only US, Canadian and Puerto Rico residents are drafted in the MLB draft

vCash
    ^ Ah yes, I thought so. I should have done the research as well, thought maybe the rules changed (so many of them this year) to allow foreign players or something. Makes sense then.

vCash
    Fox Sports amongst others have reported Otani is entering the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkefied View Post
    Fox Sports amongst others have reported Otani is entering the draft.
    I am pretty sure Otani is not subject to the MLB draft but is an international free agent ...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...n/#more-103109

vCash
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/s...r-draft-102112

The headline could be misleading.

vCash
    I doubt he's in the draft. He has no citizenship.

vCash
    Don't think citizenship has anything to do with it.

vCash
    From the title of the article it looks like he is entering the draft, but the last line of the article makes me believe he will be signed by a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Don't think citizenship has anything to do with it.
    Residency (not citizenship) is a key part of the rules ...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

How many Japanese resident players have been part of the MLB draft? I would guess none
    Last edited by Iggy; 10-23-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: To clarify

vCash
    He won't be in the MLB draft, as has been stated here repeatedly. I am curious however if he will hold off until the next drat to sign so all the teams have cash and are in play.

I also wonder if someone will take a real flier on him, be willing to pay the 15% tax and basically not be able to spend anything significant the following year on IFAs. No draft pick to lose here unlike the MLB draft....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    I also wonder if someone will take a real flier on him, be willing to pay the 15% tax and basically not be able to spend anything significant the following year on IFAs. No draft pick to lose here unlike the MLB draft....
    BA expects something like this to happen. I guess he's felt to be enough of an elite talent that it's worth losing out on next year's IFA's. Some even think he would go 1st overall if he was in the draft. So when you put it in that context, how often do you get the chance to get the best young amateur player available?

I hope whoever gets him does go over their allotment so it pulls them out of the market next year. It was real nice to have Texas out of it this year while they were waiting on the decision on that 17 year old.

vCash
    -
    Last edited by Vixious; 10-24-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Inaccurate information.

vCash
    so, going back to the blue jays minor league system....

Pillar continues to impress in the Arizona fall league. He doesn't get to play very often for some reason, but he went 3-5 with 2 runs scored and another SB last night.

He is now hitting .429/.478/.571 with 5 SB's (in 6 attempts) and 5 runs scored in just 5 games played. I don't understand why they won't play him more.

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast