Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rosenthal: Arencibia offered in packages for Jon Niese and Wade Davis

Will Jays deal catcher, add pitcher?
    0 minutes ago by KenRosenthal

While the Toronto Blue Jays are open to trading any of their three catchers, there is, well, a catch.

“None is cheap,” a rival executive says, referring to the acquisition cost in a trade, not the players’ salaries.

The Jays non-tendered Bobby Wilson on Friday night, leaving J.P. Arencibia, John Buck and Travis D’Arnaud as the remaining catchers on their 40-man roster.

Arencibia, 26, is the most likely to be moved – and the Jays previously have talked about him in trades for pitchers such as Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Wade Davis and New York Mets left-hander Jon Niese, major-league sources say.

The Jays might need to offer more than Arencibia to acquire such a pitcher, but aren’t necessarily eager to make that type of move. Arencibia is still a year away from arbitration, and the Jays control him for four more years.

D’Arnaud, the team’s top catching prospect, did not play after June 25 last season due to a knee injury. Buck, 32, batted .192 with a .644 OPS for the Miami Marlins last season.

As for starting pitching, it’s true that the Jays would like to find more even after acquiring right-hander Josh Johnson and lefty Mark Buehrle in their blockbuster with the Marlins.

The team, however, seems more inclined to add depth than find an upgrade over its fifth starter, lefty J.A. Happ, sources say.

Thus, the Jays could look to sign a low-end free agent as well as minor-league free agents, ensuring that they are better protected against injuries than they were last season.

-Ken Rosenthal
    http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true

vCash
    I'd do Niese for JPA but not Wade Davis for JPA. Wade Davis is not better then J.A. Happ. I'd slot in Happ 5th in our rotation over Davis and for all of JPA's faults i'd easily take him over Buck as the starting catcher..and make no mistake it would be Buck that would start the season off as the starting catcher and not TDA.

vCash
    Wonder what else they were asking for to get Niese.

vCash
    I'd rather add to JPA and go for Dickey... the dude won the Cy Young and the Mets don't seem to be asking the world for him

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    I'd rather add to JPA and go for Dickey... the dude won the Cy Young and the Mets don't seem to be asking the world for him
    Don't know what you've been reading but the stuff I've read all says they want a huge offer to move him.

vCash
    Niese and Ike Davis and my Christmas list is filled.

vCash
    Dickey would be better for next year but Niese is under team control for 5 more years at 5-6 million a season. He could be a good 3rd or great 4th stater for years. Dickey is still somewhat of a hit or miss to me even with the Cy Young. As for Davis no thanks unless there's more to the deal.

vCash
    Niese is what we all wished Brett Cecil could be, way back when he was still a prospect.

vCash
    with every jp arencibia trade rumor that surfaces, it becomes less and less likely he will be dealt

vCash
    I think AA should just go and get David Price ... Why not right

vCash
    **** i hope jpa is dealt haha

his value may be at its peak right now. tons of teams are in dire need of a catcher. still relatively young. cheap and controllable. can hit bombs. and still has some "potential" in his resume ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jon View Post
    Don't know what you've been reading but the stuff I've read all says they want a huge offer to move him.
    they dont seem to be agreeing on the extension and if that continues to be the case, they will probably choose to deal him now rather than at the deadline

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozan10 View Post
    **** i hope jpa is dealt haha

his value may be at its peak right now. tons of teams are in dire need of a catcher. still relatively young. cheap and controllable. can hit bombs. and still has some "potential" in his resume ....
    Agreed

vCash
    they dont seem to be agreeing on the extension and if that continues to be the case, they will probably choose to deal him now rather than at the deadline
    Doesn't mean their not asking a huge amount for him as they should be

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozan10 View Post
    I think AA should just go and get David Price ... Why not right
    Why not? Because TB would have to be complete morons to deal him in the division.

Friedman of all GMs is smarter than that.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast