Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    Im still leaning towards him going back to the desert. he's said all along that's what he wants to do and that's the reason he's waiting around so long, so that he can.

Camps all open around 12 September, and if going back to Phoenix meant he'd have to wait until 11 September to decide, my feeling is that he would do precisely that.

Any more than 2 years is an awful risk with him.
    I'm sure he'll want time to move though if Phoenix isn't able to resign him, the time for that is getting short I'd say, I expect him to sign somewhere by the end of next week.

vCash
    Well we will soon find out if either the Rangers or Pittsburg was the Eastern team that offered the ridiculous 4-year contract at 30 million. I really don't think that offer came from Sather and agree with the majority on this board that 2-years is the most we should be looking to offer.

vCash
    I agree. I don't think Sather would do that at this point. For as much flak as he's gotten for some of the contracts he's given out over the years, and justifiably so, I think a lot of that came out of desperation and the total s**t product he was given to start with when he took over in the summer of 2000.

On Doan, 2 years is ideal, and maybe I'd go a third for the right cap number in a front-loaded deal. But they need to walk if he insists on 4 years or really big money.

In that event, they should look to Arnott.

vCash
    If Doan ends up resigning with Phoenix, do you guys think we target Arnott or Sykora for 3rd line depth? Both had pretty solid seasons last year considering their age

vCash
    Obviously Arnott has been told by a team to wait. My guess is to see where Doan goes. Who knows. Maybe Sather told Arnott to sit tight and that if he doesn't get Doan, he's willing to bring him in for a year.

vCash
    I think with his skill-set, much like Nash, Doan would be a huge addition, even more so than people realize. Having a top 6 of Nash, Gabby, Richards, Cally, Stepan, and Doan with guys like Kreider and Hags on the bottom six make it an extremely deep team.

The speed Kreider and Hags provide, along with easily being able to play top-6 minutes give Torts a very flexible top-9, if you will. All-in-all a match-up nightmare for defenses.

But yes, he clearly isn't needed per se but man what an addition he would make. Personally, I see Doan signing with the Rangers for a 1 or 2 yr deal. The chance at a cup has to drive a player like Doan. I mean all those years of being a good soldier on subpar teams, yikes. And conversely, if his desire isn't a cup would you want him...?

vCash
    Read earlier that it's looking like Doan is going to stay in Phoenix for 4 years and close out his career with the Yotes. Arnott?

From Bleacher Report (I know, BR is BS alot of the time, so don't shoot the messenger):

William DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports is reporting free agent Shane Doan is close to signing a new, four-year deal with the Phoenix Coyotes. The article cites prospective owner Greg Jamison, who has had an on-again, off-again relationship with regards to this purchase, making progress towards acquiring the Phoenix franchise, this time securing some investors.

Mike Sunnucks' article for the Phoenix Business Journal backs up this claim, stating Jamison has found several partners to back him.

Two sources with knowledge of the three-year-old Coyotes ownership saga say Jamison now has the investors and partners in place to finally buy the Coyotes and a deal could close very soon.

One source familiar with the deal said Jamison has secured the money and partners to buy the team and final details are being reviewed by the NHL.

If Jamison is in fact close to acquiring the Coyotes, the soap opera that has been the Shane Doan sweepstakes should end. Doan has done his due diligence looking at other teams to see if he would be a fit should Phoenix not be an option. If Phoenix ownership stabilizes, Doan's priority all along was to return to the only franchise he's ever played for.

One nugget DePaoli gave in his article was the New York Rangers being the clear No. 2 favorite behind the Coyotes. His past relationships with the coaching staff (John Tortorella and Jim Schoenfeld were coaches in Phoenix and he was a teammate of Mike Sullivan's) along with New York's talented team were of interest to the 'Yotes captain.

It also makes you wonder if Glen Sather was prepared to offer Doan a four-year deal similar to one rumored all along.

What does the news mean? Shane Doan looks to be going back to where he never wanted to leave.

vCash
    Finally, it's over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apdamico View Post
    Well we will soon find out if either the Rangers or Pittsburg was the Eastern team that offered the ridiculous 4-year contract at 30 million. I really don't think that offer came from Sather and agree with the majority on this board that 2-years is the most we should be looking to offer.

Ugh it was the Pens

vCash
    I'm sick of Doan. I think what he's done here is a disgrace. I don't think that moron ever had any intention of leaving the Yotes. He's simply using other teams to get more money. Sather should give him the finger and move on.
    Last edited by averymustgo; 08-11-2012 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    I'm sick of Doan. I think what he's done here is a disgrace. I don't think that moron every had any intention of leaving the Yotes. He's simply using other teams to get more money. Sather should give him the finger and move on.
    Doan was candid, both publicly and privately, his first priority was to remain with the Coyotes and would give that organization every possible chance to resign him. You are simply inaccurate with the statement he used other teams simply to to get more money. The evidence overwhelmingly shows this to not be true. His discussions accelerated as it looked more and more likely the Coyotes would ultimately be relocated and he would be a NY Ranger today if the investor group did not surprisingly come up with the last $20 million needed to satisfy NHL concerns. All NHL teams that expressed interest in Doan understood these dynamics from the beginning and were happy to have a shot at signing him. There are no ill feelings at all amongst the parties involved. It was all handled professionally.

vCash
    He's a dirtbag who has used other teams as leverage. It happens a lot. Doan could have and should have made his decision 2 weeks ago. He's acted like a clown. All the teams should take their offers off the table and make him crawl back for a lot less.

vCash
    He's a dirtbag who has used other teams as leverage. It happens a lot. Doan could have and should have made his decision 2 weeks ago. He's acted like a clown. All the teams should take their offers off the table and make him crawl back for a lot less.
    Doan was waiting on Phoenix to figure out what they were doing, he couldn't make a decision until they knew what was going on with their franchise. He was touring the other teams and seeing what was available incase Phoenix didn't work out, I don't blame him really but I still think his personal valuation was outlandish.

vCash
    If we need to sign him for 4 years it's not worth it, but if we can get him on a front-loaded 3 year deal I would love it. That gives this team a lot of leadership with Cally, Richards, Nash and Doan.

vCash
    So he's a dirtbag because he's a free agent doing what every other player does?
    Averymustgo...must go

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast