Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Kirk demoted for Baxter return

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter
    PHOENIX -- The Mets demoted Kirk Nieuwenhuis to Triple-A Buffalo after Sunday's 5-1 win against the Diamondbacks to clear a roster spot for the return of Mike Baxter from the disabled list for the series opener in San Francisco. Baxter had been sidelined since suffering a separated shoulder on a June 1 catch that preserved Johan Santana's no-hit bid.

Nieuwenhuis, who had joined the Mets right after Andres Torres suffered a calf strain on Opening Day, was hitting .252 with seven homers and 28 RBIs in 282 at-bats. He had a team-high 98 strikeouts. Nieuwenhuis was only 9-for-his-last-73.

His demotion comes five days after Lucas Duda also was dispatched to the Bisons.

Hitting coach Dave Hudgens noted teams have exploited Nieuwenhuis by putting breaking balls in the dirt, then throwing high fastballs above the strike zone that Nieuwenhuis was prone to chase.

"He chased some a little bit. He's got to learn to lay off that fastball up," Hudgens said. "It's a ball for the most part. They'll try some soft stuff down, and then they try to elevate fastball. It's just an adjustment he's going to have to make. They try that on a lot of guys, and you've got to be disciplined. It's tough, because you see that ball so good. It's close to your eyes and you see it good, so you react. You just have to learn to lay off it, because you can't catch up to it."

Said Nieuwenhuis: "Right now I'm not contributing. It's something you want to do. It's something that you need to do. Hopefully I'll get it going down in Buffalo, and hopefully be back soon."

Nieuwenhuis' highlights included an April 26 walk-off RBI single with two outs in the ninth against Heath Bell as the Mets completed a sweep of the Marlins.

One positive byproduct of the demotion from an organization perspective: If Nieuwenhuis spends 20 consecutive days in the minors, he will not be eligible for free agency until at least after the 2018 season, rather than after the 2017 season. That's because he would not be credited with a full year of major league service time for this season.

"There's something to be said about contributing to the team," Nieuwenhuis said. "And that's really, ultimately what it's all about. And putting W's up on the board. Right now I'm not helping."

vCash
    Kirk was struggling mightily at the plate,they had to send him down.

I'll miss his defense but it was the right move imo.

I am happy to see Baxter back even if he is another LH bat...

vCash
    Yup, he was struggling, but he was getting what? a handful of at bats a week now with Hairston, Torres and Bay getting most of the playing time.

vCash
    Well Bay being in the elephant in the room and the fact that the Mets have to play him sucks but maybe the extra time in the minors will help Kirk and he can get the at bats that Bay won't when he is hopefully released next year.

vCash
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN
    ESPN Stats & Info: Bay's 22 AB hitless streak is two shy of matching career high. He was 0-for-24 from May 31-June 11, 2011 with #Mets.

vCash
    I don't believe Duda is doing anything. He has hardly played. Maybe Wally's telling him when you quit crying you can play!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    wayyyyyy to many strikeouts. he just needs to focus on making more contact obviously.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Well he sure had me fooled, I thought he was going to stick and stick hard.

And gone is another one of the early season Omar credits.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    ...and who says this is the last you will hear or see of him?

as mention a million times some guys struggle when they 1st come and adapt, Kirk did great when he 1st came and has not really gotten a chance to bounce back like Ike did.

What was Hudgens doing to help the kid get out of the slump and stop him from chasing those high fastballs that he has problems with?

I thought it was Sandy who magically made this guys better prospects, so where is the magic now?
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 07-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    Howard Johnson ‏@20Hojo
    @AdamRubinESPN it's a shame they haven't been able to figure Bay out...

vCash
    Kirk basically was who he was in the minors- a guy that played good defense, had a little pop, but strikes out WAY too much. I root for our players, but I had a feeling he would strike out way more against big league pitching. I hope he figures things out- but he does not have enough pop to strike out as much as he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Kirk basically was who he was in the minors- a guy that played good defense, had a little pop, but strikes out WAY too much. I root for our players, but I had a feeling he would strike out way more against big league pitching. I hope he figures things out- but he does not have enough pop to strike out as much as he does.
    Very true, but you hope that now that he knows what to expect from MLB pitchers and how they go after him, that he should lay off that high fastball which he was just chasing every time the last 3 weeks it seems and was a victim of too many K's due to that.

I think he will be back and do well, but again the question will be can he stick at center long term. If he does not, then he is a part time player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Kirk was struggling mightily at the plate,they had to send him down.

I'll miss his defense but it was the right move imo.

I am happy to see Baxter back even if he is another LH bat...
    Yeah but the whole point about his struggling was they should have given him a chance to learn how to work it out in the majors, let the experience to teach him how to work through adversity, figure out how to adjust, and eventually thrive as a major leaguer,

Instead, he was forced to watch as two washed up veterans in Torres and Bay took valuable playing time away from him. I could understand it if we were in the middle of a pennant race but on this team?

very bad handling.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah but the whole point about his struggling was they should have given him a chance to learn how to work it out in the majors, let the experience to teach him how to work through adversity, figure out how to adjust, and eventually thrive as a major leaguer,

Instead, he was forced to watch as two washed up veterans in Torres and Bay took valuable playing time away from him. I could understand it if we were in the middle of a pennant race but on this team?

very bad handling.
    My point exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

very bad handling.
    I don't wanna be the newb disagreeing with the sharp guys that I have been reading on here for years- but I respectfully disagree based on the fact that the problems (the K's and inconsistency) were the same problems he had in the minors, so why would he figure something out here that he struggled to figure out in the minors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast