Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    I can't even remember the last full-price game I bought. Maybe GTA:SA? Otherwise it was probably a Pokemon game lol.

vCash
    I've purchased countless games over the past few years & feel like only 5-6 games were actually worth the full price.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    Last game I bought at full price was Batman Arkham City lol

Props to rdwilliamson for the sig!

Baltimore Ravens Fan:
    Houston Rockets Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JOrdan View Post
    Last game I bought at full price was Batman Arkham City lol
    I didn't even pay full price for it. It's not that I didn't think it would be great, but I didn't get into Arkham Asylum until earlier this year. But, if I realized how truly awesome those two games are earlier, I would have paid full price!

vCash
    Here are my recent games... and their prices.

NBA 2k12 - $20 during black Friday sale at Amazon.
    Madden 12 - $25 from black Friday as well, I can't remember if I bought it through Amazon or EA itself.
    BF3 - Sister gave it to me.
    GT5 - Got it from my buddy for Christmas to go along with my Logitech G27 Wheel.

I think that's about it from the last year or so...

The only game i'm trying to get right now is MLB 12 The Show. I'll probably wait until the postseason starts. Once postseason starts, everybody sells them very cheaply since Gamestop and others low ball them as soon as the playoff starts.
    Last edited by mikekhelxD; 08-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    The last game that I bought brand new was UFC Undisputed 2010.... Why pay $60 when in most cases you can get it for $20 just a month later.

vCash
    I got old lol. I mean when i was 8 to 16 i bought mabe 6 or 7 games at 50 or 60 bucks per game a year. Now at 21 i buy mabe 3 madden the show and wwe. This year ive gotten ufc and the show only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekhelxD View Post
    Here are my recent games... and their prices.

NBA 2k12 - $20 during black Friday sale at Amazon.
    Madden 12 - $25 from black Friday as well, I can't remember if I bought it through Amazon or EA itself.
    BF3 - Sister gave it to me.
    GT5 - Got it from my buddy for Christmas to go along with my Logitech G27 Wheel.

I think that's about it from the last year or so...

The only game i'm trying to get right now is MLB 12 The Show. I'll probably wait until the postseason starts. Once postseason starts, everybody sells them very cheaply since Gamestop and others low ball them as soon as the playoff starts.
    Last edited by WindyCityFlyer; 08-02-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: nvm

vCash
    If they think sales are down now, wait until what happens if they decide to make next gen consoles with a used game option. The main reasons for the decline are what a lot of you said, and that's the same rehashed game every single year, there's no creativity anymore. Not to mention, the economy isn't the greatest right now and as we get older our priorities change, a lot of us have kids or are married now, so we can't just go and blow 60-70 bucks on a game like we could back in the day. We want the most for your money, and paying 70 bucks every year for the same damn Madden or COD game isn't justifiable.

Legendary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
    If they think sales are down now, wait until what happens if they decide to make next gen consoles with a used game option. The main reasons for the decline are what a lot of you said, and that's the same rehashed game every single year, there's no creativity anymore. Not to mention, the economy isn't the greatest right now and as we get older our priorities change, a lot of us have kids or are married now, so we can't just go and blow 60-70 bucks on a game like we could back in the day. We want the most for your money, and paying 70 bucks every year for the same damn Madden or COD game isn't justifiable.
    The problem is that new IP and games that were different just didn't really sell, especially compared to the etablished IP's like COD, Gears, Halo and so on. The consumer voted with their wallet and they voted for the same games over and over. It's a sad truth that new IP's rarely work after a console has matured. Most new IP's and gameplay ideas are introduced relatively early in console cycles. There is more to it but this is a big problem. Gamers don't buy games that have a new setting or different gameplay, they want to be sure they get what they want out of their 60 bucks. On the other hand after a few years they get bored with the same stuff over and over again and the publishers are not ready to green light risky new games. Now that even the top games sell less, they can't risk blowing money on a new IP that doesn't sell.

vCash
    Haven't video games been the same price for 20 years now? Pretty sure I paid $50-$60 for my SNES Killer Instinct game a long time ago.

My theory of the sales drop anyway is that people have become specialized, i.e. I only buy specific franchises and have settled into that groove (CoD; Madden; NBA 2K). The gamers who go out and try as many different games as they can seem to have also become oversaturated with what to try.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentzias View Post
    Haven't video games been the same price for 20 years now? Pretty sure I paid $50-$60 for my SNES Killer Instinct game a long time ago.

My theory of the sales drop anyway is that people have become specialized, i.e. I only buy specific franchises and have settled into that groove (CoD; Madden; NBA 2K). The gamers who go out and try as many different games as they can seem to have also become oversaturated with what to try.
    They have been.

Even if they were 50 back in the day, factor in how prices have rose for everything in general due to inflation, greatly increased development costs....etc, etc and they're about the same price.

You get what you pay for. If you want 20$ games those are available, problem is they are mostly trash. Just shell out or get a new hobby. 65 for 20+ hours of entertainment is completely justified when people pay 20-25 for a 2 hour movie.

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    They have been.

Even if they were 50 back in the day, factor in how prices have rose for everything in general due to inflation, greatly increased development costs....etc, etc and they're about the same price.

You get what you pay for. If you want 20$ games those are available, problem is they are mostly trash. Just shell out or get a new hobby. 65 for 20+ hours of entertainment is completely justified when people pay 20-25 for a 2 hour movie.
    That's exactly how I justify it. If a 2 hour DVD is worth $20 to people, a video game with ten times the entertainment time should be worth 3 times the price. Hell, some games go 100 hours plus. I don't see the big deal, but then again I don't have to save my allowance up to buy games.

vCash
    There's also the shift to multiplayer. I think developers recognize this, and sadly, I'm guessing that they cannot split their development and be able to produce equally good (satisfying?) campaign and multiplayer modes for the same game. They have to update the multiplayer system and maps meaning they can't focus on developing the characters/story on the campaign.
    Years of this have gone by, and you've created distinctly different groups of gamers in terms of wants and needs, and I don't think this can ever be reconciled. You used to have the one big group of gamers that bought all the games, but now you've split that, and so you've split incoming revenue as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentzias View Post
    There's also the shift to multiplayer. I think developers recognize this, and sadly, I'm guessing that they cannot split their development and be able to produce equally good (satisfying?) campaign and multiplayer modes for the same game. They have to update the multiplayer system and maps meaning they can't focus on developing the characters/story on the campaign.
    Years of this have gone by, and you've created distinctly different groups of gamers in terms of wants and needs, and I don't think this can ever be reconciled. You used to have the one big group of gamers that bought all the games, but now you've split that, and so you've split incoming revenue as well.
    The multiplayer thing is a two sided sword. Many consumers don't consider 60$ titles without it. So most games now come with a multiplayer that, wil be played for 3 months and become dust city afterwards. They just have to tick off that item on the feature list, or else the project will not be financed. Also Multiplayer DLC is way cheaper to make then Single player content, you don't need voice actors, script writers and so on, Just do a some new maps and a weapon or two.

At the beginning of the whole multiplayer thing (when it became somewhat popular), the top games would be played for multiple years and the developer would most of the time support the games for a long time. But that doesn't bring as much profit as releasing an update every 12 months for 60$ and then maybe you can even recycle old maps from the previous games and sell a pack for another 10+$.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast